The Playboy Club: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a friend who inexplicably loves this show--and I do love Laura Benanti from her Broadway work, so saw the last two eps with her--I thought the second episode was an improvement. It helped we didn't have Hef arrogantly saying ridiculously untrue voice over statements about how the Bunnies were some of the only free women in the world, etc... Something's missing though. Pan Am has a lot of issues, and is no Mad Men, but it is damn stylish and nice to look at--and has enough for me to stick with. But Playboy Club's period design actually feels to me a bit lazy and underwhelming--the style of the piece doesn't seem ALL that clearly 1960s--especially next to Pan Am and Mad Men (which is still heads and shouldrs over the others--even Pan Am seems to have too much fond nostalgia for the era it shows).

I didn't realize Sam Maher, who I loved as Simon in Firefly/Serenity and have always had a tv crush on (and suspected was gay) has used his role as the closeted gay character married to the lesbian bunny to publicly come out. Good for him. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/26/firefly-playboy-club-actor-sean-maher-comes-out-ga/

And yeah, I can't see this show with its poor ratings, off putting conept and low ratings lasting...

• Members

And, I think even those who don't like Mad Men's style (or the show itself) it's done with much more thought--this feels just knocked out. The elements are there more or less, but the execution isn't. And yes, Mad Men would never work on a network, demanding network audiences. Many people who seem to like the look of Mad Men or the era don't even watch the show.

Archived