A World Apart

• Members

Actor Darryl Wells (Tony) also had a role on As the World Turns in 1966.  I suspect that he was intended as a leading man for Amanda Holmes (Deborah Solomon).

He was also on The Nurses, but I suspect that was when The Nurses were seen on primetime CBS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just noticed that in the picture with Irna Phillips, that is NOT Augusta Dabney.   It is the late Elizabeth Lawrence (who I had identified in the next picture).

I had assumed (and I bet that a lot of other people did also) that when William Prince joined the show, that Augusta Dabney did also.   Evidently, she did not.  He only appeared on two soap operas without Ms. Dabney (his wife), and they were The Edge of Night and Search for Tomorrow (his final soap opera role).   She appeared on many (Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, The Guiding LIght, Loving, and the serial General Hospital) without him.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I can confirm that ABC did not renew Irna and Katharine Phillips contract after the first year as they were not happy with the ratings. The Hollands as previously stated were the replacement writers. Variety notes they had recently worked on All My Children. Is this well known?

The Variety article states that Irna was preparing a treatment for a screenplay-her first venture into movies.

Interesting that Irna's final 3 shows-Another World, Splendored Thing and World Apart all saw her depart within a year. 

• Members

My understanding is that Irna's involvement with DOOL was several years before the show aired, maybe the early 60's, when the proposal was put together, as a nightime serial.

She was listed as story editor but Peggy Phillips was first headwriter before Bill Bell.

I think the story editor title was pretty much honorary and she had no real involvement with the show,

There was a lawsuit at some point initiated by Irna about her connection to the show.

• Members

Concerning Irna Phillips and that California show (Days of Our Lives), my understanding is that Ms. Philllips was there at the creation of the program but never worked on it.   She co-created the show with Ted Corday and Allen Chase.   I have even heard that her only contribution was either the title or the prologue or both.

• Members

That is my understanding. The Days of Our Lives treatment was written in 1961 so by 65 when it was optioned Irna had long been out of the loop.

The story editor credit she was given in early episodes was just a token to acknowledge her earlier involvement.

PS Nice to see you posting again Danfling! I always find your recollections of past soaps most interesting.

• Members

it’s been a while since i read ken corday’s memoir, but from what i remember, he said that it was irna who encouraged his father to create his own show. she is credited as a co-creator of days… i know there were some lawsuits filed over this (one, i think by her daughter, after irna’s death). i believe irna’s son is still receiving royalties. 

i also recall that when ted was diagnosed with cancer shortly after days… premiered, irna helped to take up the slack. but, when bill bell took over as headwriter after ted’s death, irna took that as a personal betrayal and, according to bell, the two never spoke again.