AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

I know she left after her relationship with that Beck guy or whoever ended. I thought it was early 1988. I'm trying to figure out the timelines as this is the guy who ran over Laura...that was, what, December 1988?

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Apparently Hilary was written off during the 1988 writers strike. I think the clips are from early 1988, as Robert McNeil as Charlie also ended up leaving sometime that summer.

http://www.welovesoa...n-thomas-1.html

WE LOVE SOAPS TV: So Michael E. Knight left the show, and at the time, it looked like he would have a successful post-soap movie career. How were you feeling about your place on the show at that point?

Carmen Thomas: Like I said it was like my college time. When he left, the writers weren't sure what to do with me. I think I really wanted the soap to be like a stepping stone. It was inevitable that I wasn't going to stay on the show. I knew this was going to be a time in my life and then I would go on. I can distinctly remember sitting on the set one day, and across from me was another set. I was watching the "young" storyline. Here I was 20 years old and watching actors older than me who were playing younger than me. It was the storyline with Lauren Holly and Robbie McNeill, who were Julie and Charlie. I remember watching and it was a story I had been doing a couple of years earlier. It was now repeating and I started feeling like, "I'm too old. I've been here too long." [Laughs] I thought it was time for me to go.

WE LOVE SOAPS TV: Before you left the show, Hillary had another successful relationship with Mitch Beck. I remember liking that pairing too.

Carmen Thomas: He was this sweet guy. He was this motorcycle guy with leather meant to the bad boy. He was really a gentle soul and a lot of people liked him because he was really kind. But it didn't really seem to take off.

WE LOVE SOAPS TV: How did Hillary leave Pine Valley?

Carmen Thomas: It was during the writer's strike [of 1988] so it was kind of sad for me because it was like a non-event. It was like anyone with a pen was writing the show. I remember my last show, I felt like they didn't want people to know I was leaving. I was like, "Phoebe, I'm going to be going to Boston with Mitch." I was very nondescript. I was really sad because I had been on the show for a long time and wanted a goodbye. They let me rewrite it a little bit so I did say goodbye, but it was very quick so if you weren't watching the show that day, they were like, "What happened?"

I was acting but I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing. I had this hunger to study the craft and Shakespeare so I left the show and went to London and was there for about a year. Then I traveled around and did theater for quite a while. Then started the process of going back and forth to L.A. Once I started having kids, I became rooted in L.A. So it was really kind of a shock when the show moved out to L.A. I thought to myself that I needed to get in touch with people, but before I even had a chance to do that they started talking about Hillary again.

Edited by ghfan89

• Members

Thanks. Is it me or did AMC have a ton of those quick and random goodbyes? And not just during writers' strikes.

I still have no idea why they never considered bringing her back for the Damon story, but I know that's already been talked to death.

• Members

I'm still watching the shows where the "New Divorce" is going on and I just think it's so smart and current how they had cameras following Erica and Jack around reality-show style. I loved Pam, Erica's talk show producer.

Omg. That makes perfect sense her show got canceled when she went to jail! Late 2007 and into Spring 2008 are a real blur to me because I wasn't able to watch the show very much. Thanks! They should've brought New Beginnings back!

Edited by AllmyDaysatGH

• Members

There were so many careers Erica could have had if they got tired of doing the show - they could have just said the network canceled it and had her move on to something else instead of sending her to jail. :( Although... I will confess that I do own one of the "Free Erica" t-shirts from her insider trading jail stay. ;)

• Members

Jonathan and ellabelle did you see La Lucci on The View? Thought she looked radiant as ever! LOVED her hair!

But omg..how rude was Barbara? Bitch INTERRUPTED Susan when she was setting up her clip! She waved her hands and was like "Ok were gonna show you." My blood BOILED a little bit!