ABC Daytime Home Video

• Members

I won off Ebay four tapes from ABC Daytime--two vols of Luke and Laura's "greatest moments" and All About Erica and Behind the Scenes at AMC...

They're entertaining to watch--the Erica video in particular has a ton of clips I didn't know existed (a good stretch with Nick), but are annoyingly done--still some classic clips I'd never seen before. But a the start of each vol is a promise for more similar videos--I know the only others that were done--three vols of weddings, one for each soap, are on DVD (cuz I have it) but why did ABC give up on this concept during the video era, and not try it in the DVD?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the Luke and Laura vol 2 was the last, because of low sales. It's a shame, and I do wonder why they haven't tried on DVD. These videos were my first real introduction to ABC Daytime, and along with Daytime to Remember a few years later, got me more and more fascinated with soaps.

When soaps started being so contemptuous of their past, they threw away the future.

I do think they were cheesily produced (someone I know disliked Erika Slezak for years because of how she gushes and grins through the OLTL one), but still were so amazing to watch. I will always be grateful for seeing, "I take thee...Cord."

• Members

I have these too, along with two GL videos, one focusing on Roger and the other on Reva. Like Carl, I've heard they didn't sell well. Which is probably why TPTB see no upside in selling old soap episodes on DVD. Sad.

• Members

I always assumed the ABC videos sold fairly well for a while, since they released a half-dozen - the bottom probably dropped out due to the problems that started hurting soaps around 1994.

I remember reading that one GL tape sold well and one didn't, but I can't remember which now. I still wonder why they chose GL first since the show was several years into a ratings fall and creatively at a low ebb. I know none of the P&G soaps were at their best at that time but something like James Stenbeck or whatever might have sold a little better.

I also wonder if too many of these clips were too recent in the viewer's mind. Today that wouldn't be a problem.

• Members

They did a re-release of the ABC wedding VHS tapes to DVD in 2004. I was able to pick one up at a Warehouse club.

With the P&G GL tapes, the Roger tape sold out quickly, while the Reva one didn't do as well. They came out at the same time, and were a promotion that you could get them if you bought P&G products.

• Members

We have OLTL's wedding dvd (" :D HELLO! I'M ERIKA SLEZAK! :D ") and All About Erica. Eric, you're right, tons of great clips in that one. My favorite is probably the one where Erica's in this kinda awful yellow plaid dress at Brooke's guest house: "Get out!"/"And Jack! How could Jack be taken in by the likes of you! I mean, you have always been such a loser!"/*WHAP!*

Archived