OLTL - The Masquerade Party 1981

• Members

They are most likely wrong. I was basing the December 1981 date on the weekly summaries of the time. Lydia Hirsch's column was only two weeks behind, tops, based on the newspaper carrying her column. CarlD just posted a March 1982 SOD. SOD was behind, but not five months.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOWWWWWW!!!! A wonderful synopses, Carl. It is really interesting, I think those were the best years of OLTL...I would love to see for first time the years 1978-1983....I only could see 130 episodes (1980-1981)in 1986 when they were broadcast in my country. At the time, I thought OLTL had only 130 episodes, because the show disappeared after the 130 episode, years later....I learnt that it was a soap, and still running in the US.

In the cast picture of the masquerade ball which Carl added before, I have trying to discover who is who in the pic. I think they are:

Lucinda, Asa, Ivan, Bo, Sam, Wanda, Cassie, Larry, Mimi?, Viki (Christine Jones), Clint, Tony, Pat, Dorian, Herb, Sadie, Becky Lee, Rafe, the chief, ?, Katrina and Marcello.

• Members

It would've been interesting to see how the vets at that time felt about the Buchanan invasion, in terms of how it affected the show's identity. They became the overwhelming focus of the show at this point. Up until they appeared, it was pretty much about the Lords, Woleks, Vernons, Halls, and Craigs, mostly very low-key characters. The other major family up until that time, the Siegels, had been written out a few years earlier. The vets still had story, but if they weren't connected to a Buchanan in some way, they were backburnered and-or eventually written out altogether. Would've been interesting to get their take on things. I know that Dorian had story and Kipling was still running around implanting microchips in people's brains, but the focus was on the Bukes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There has got to be a way to see this storyline again. I remember I was only five years old when it happened. I was in Kindergarten at the time. I would come home around 12 noon, and my mom would make our lunches while I watched kids shows on PBS. Then it was time for the ball (Trick or Treat for adults) and I remember Olympia having these fantasies about Asa and Samantha and then shooting them both dead in each others arms. I remember a very young Bo upset that there was fighting going on between his mother and a man (either Asa or Yancey). I remember the jewelry heist, and for some reason Dorian couldn't get her bracelet off or was afraid to part with it. I think Sadie kept pretty cool during the whole thing cause I remember one of the robbers fraternizing with her asking her is she needed her torch lit, cause she was dressed as the Statue of Liberty (great costume for a lady of color to go as, by the way). I remember Edwina Lewis being there dressed as Peter Pan...but who did Brad bring who was dressed as maybe Little Red Riding Hood? Anyways, if I can get a copy of ALL MY CHILDREN'S masquerade ball at Cortlandt manor circa 1980, I am pretty sure this should be circulatintg out there.

New to the board,

Erik

• Members

Wow... this thread has brought back so many memories for me... the Masquerade Ball was one of my very favorite storylines on OLTL... it went on for so long it was outragious but the length of time only enhanced its campy brilliance... many different storylines had their climax at the ball and just when one set of stories/characters came to a head, a new set of stories/characters began their climax... it most certainly was a tour de force of epic soapy proportions... if I'm not mistaken, Sam Hall (former Dark Shadows head-writer) helmed the show at this time, thus the gothic feel... Victor Miller, who also wrote for the show at this time, is a friend of mine on Facebook, I'm going to have to ask him more about this... unfortunately as far as I have found, these episodes remain unattainable but as Erik mentioned above, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has to have these month-plus worth of classic episodes...

Thanks for the memories! :)

ChrisL

• Members

Chris, the only reason I am optimistic is because I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of the masquerade party on ALL MY CHILDREN, and that was a year before the Buchanan ball on ONE LIFE TO LIVE. There's just something about a masquerade party on soaps...it's like you get to see the creative side of the characters, them being taken out of their element and playing a new side of fantasy. Look at Clint Ritchie in the group shot, he's Count Dracula?! No Stetson, no boots, Count "Friggin'" Dracula...and Bo as a French Dandy, though I can see why he went as that having had taken Pat Ashley to Paris the year before, besides Bo was always the cultured, romantic of the Buke family. At any rate, I am guessing an ensemble storyline like this had to be entertaining given that Phil Carey once said the most pleasant time on the show was when he first started and there was a real comradery amongst the cast.

Erik

• Members

I did not watch OLTL until 1985, but from everything I see on Youtube, OLTL appeared incredibly staid, old fashioned, and boring in those 1981-84 years. Am I mistaken? I once read that Gordon Russell's late 70's OLTL was "an intense psychological drama". What what was the tone or identity of OLTL in the early 80's? It kind of did appear to be the "show between AMC and GH".. And don't get me wrong, the Katrina/Jenny baby switch storyline seemed amazing (And I can watch Brynn Thayer until the cows come home, I love that woman).. The show seemed -very-slow moving as well, which isn't a bad thing.. In some ways it reminds me of Y&R back in the day (at least the good aspects).

• Members

I haven't seen any more of it than you have so I can't say, but going by the Ryan's Hope episodes of that time, I imagine that OLTL was trying hard to fit into the adventure-mob-craziness that GH had popularized, leading to stuff like Alex Crown, Ivan Kipling and the mind control chips, Ted drugging Viki, San Rios or whatever the name of that place was that Dorian and some others were involved in. It doesn't sound like it was the best fit. It also sounds like the show was sort of going through a tough transitional phase as there were many characters (Jenny, Carla, Viki, Pat) who had been around the block and were probably tough to write for, and few newer heroines (the only one who seemed to stick was Delilah). There were also the gray characters, like Asa, Brad, Marco, and Dorian, and they must have been tough to write for, although the stuff with Dorian/Cassie and Dorian/David sounds very interesting.

• Members

There's definitely a real dignity and sense of quiet and maturity, and can you imagine someone like Becky Lee on any show now? She would be called "boring," when generally I think people like the parade of shrieking sluts on soaps now are ten times more boring.

I can see where the show needed more life. It's just a shame that such ugly stuff had to happen which blighted the otherwise successful rejuvenation.

Archived