All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Members

I haven't liked Mandy since Sunday in the Park with George (there's my weekly Sondheim reference :D ), especially reading the abusive way he behaved towards Toni Colette when they did the musical of The Wild Party together (apparently they've since made up and Mandy's excuse was, as usual, he behaves in character with his cast... :unsure: ), but I really get what he means. I caught a bit the other week which seemed to be a riff on Natural Born Killers--I don't think I shock that easily, but I found it pretty shocking for a 9PM drama and well just unpleasant but not in an interesting way. And yet it's a show that my Grandma of all people--who would never see a movie like NBK) watches. Go figure.

Anyway it is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why no one complains about it weekly, yet if we saw a nipple or anything "worse" there'd be Hell to pay. I know what I'd rather see :P

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the show was very well-acted and written and I watched off and on for a few years and I can understand why it's popular, I don't want to sound like it's somehow morally wrong to watch the show. I watch a lot of stuff that people call disturbing (like Oz) and it didn't really affect me. It's just my reaction, mostly. I think it was the episode about the family being burned alive in their home and the storyline with the character being forcibly addicted to heroin that were too much for me.

• Members

No, I agree and I realize my post sounds a bit like that--Hell I love early 80s slasher movies. But I admit for me, the show just seems so unrelentingly grim and unpleasant--and it does show so clearly how odd the US double standard towards sex and towards violence is (and the sex seems allowed if it's somehow depraved violent sex with the people punished for it).

• Members

• Daytimeconfidential.com printed a rumour recently that a sudser suffered a 50 per cent budget slash. Yep, it’s GH. Sources confirm they are the show in question – and that’s why Becky Herbst was let go. Um, that’s not why Becky was fired. If someone had to go, I’d start with Tyler Christopher because as much as I adored him as an actor in the past, the Nikolas train derailed many a moon ago. I could go on with other suggestions, but you get my point.

-Nelson Branco

http://tvguide.ca/Soaps/Nelson_Ratings/Articles/110207_soapgeist_NB.htm

Archived