Duh..Johnny Weir comes out of the closet...LOL...

Soapsuds

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It annoys me when people say that being gay is "only a very small part" of who they are. Really? I've only been here for 20 years, but my identified orientation has affected me in astronomical ways. I'd never say it's a "small part" of me because the experience fuels a lot of the [!@#$%^&*] I believe in.

• Members

in the excerpts, it says he's "Not ashamed to be me".. oh really? He shouldn't have waited this long if he wasn't ashamed.... and for the love of God, it was obvious... if when ORIGINALLY asked, he would have just said.. "Of course I am, are you blind?" It would have been a mere blip on the radar screen. unless he wanted to be a drama queen and "come out later" and milk it for publicity, and a cover of people magazine. Wouldn't surprise me.

• Members

Here is the thing, that may be true for you but for me it is not.

I am gay. I am into boys. That is only a a rather small part of me. It is not a driving force in my life. I am just like all of my other friends. I am in college, have a job, go out and have fun, and date people. The only difference is i am the only guy in my group who dates other guys. But nobody sees it as this thing, because it is not a thing where i have grown up and live. Hell, i do not even have a coming out story. Everyone knew it, and i never hid it.

• Members

I understand what you're saying, and I admit that it's mostly just me, but I don't know...I can't imagine it not being something that affects you on a near daily basis. Maybe I'm equating a person's sexual/romantic orientation with the natural urges that most of us have to love and/or be loved. To me, when someone says "I'm gay, but that's only a VERY small part of who I am," it's like downplaying something that is a HUGE part of most people, gay or straight.

• Members

But would you feel the same way if someone said "I am straight, but thats a small part of who i am"?

I am so, so very blessed and i cherish it. Because i do know its a rare story. I got lucky with great parents who honestly only ever wanted me and my brother to be happy and do well in life and be a good person. i succseed at the first two, and im working on that third one ;)

I too hope one day it is everyones story.

• Members

I think it'd sound silly coming from a straight person because being straight normally doesn't carry with it a set of built-in drama. Like with everything else, though, ultimately I believe it's a person-by-person thing, so I should just be fine with however a person views him or herself.

For me personally, I can think of so many instances of my life where my sexuality (for lack of a much much better term...someone needs to get on that) affected decisions and outcomes...it's a huge part of who I am. It doesn't define me as much as it's been an avenue to many of the things I believe in and hold dear to my heart.

I guess my general thing is that for me, being gay isn't just a small part but it also isn't the only part.

• Members

I am very happy to hear you say that (see you type that? lol) because i dont feel one aspect of a person, however big it may be to them, should ever define them. It is sad to me that so many people let one thing like that or race/gender/class/etc be the sole definition of a person.

I am just full of so many emotions/views/things that make me me that i could never imagine how anyone could define a person based on one thing. I wish we lived in a world where more people were just open to other people and got to know them. I love to get to know people and hear there stories about there lives and what has shaped them. I volunteer at like elderly homes because they have such good stories they want to tell, and i want to hear. Id like it if we lived in a less judgemental world, but i do not think that is going to happen. I do however hope one day people will stop holding others to the snap judgements they make and give them a chance to change there view on them.

It is interesting to me too that being gay has affected decisions and outcomes in your life, when in mine it rarely has. It is hard for me to if being gay has had a big impact on what i believe in, because i would like to think that even if i was not i would have the same belief system...

Archived