Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I am saving them for a rainy day, after I finish my current stash of to-watch vids.

Ahhh, the good old days. Y&R had so many charismatic, memorable stars during its first decade, like Trish Stewart (Chris Brooks), William Gray Espy (Snapper Foster), Janice Lynde (Leslie Brooks), Tom Hallick (Brad Elliot), Jaime Lyn Bauer (Lorie Brooks), and so many others. It was hard watching them all drift away.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Finally watched episode 4. I am entranced by Lilibet Stern’s Patty! Combination of great acting and writing. What a loss her departure was. Her Patty has so many layers. It was fascinating to watch Carl slowly dismantle Patty’s Stepford demeanor, and present some excellent arguments against Patty’s plan. Carl smartly did not criticize Jack, no matter how much he wanted to. He accurately pointed out that it’s not fair to Jack, or anyone, for Patty to get pregnant in this manner.

But she is completely lost in her fantasy, and can not process his advice. Is Patty’s mindset within the realm of normal behavior, or is she demonstrating the beginnings of mental illness? She grew up in a stable household with loving parents. Reading the ’81 synopses, it appears that Patty went off the rails when she learned that Paul was not taking responsibility for baby Heather. She couldn’t believe that her big brother, who she admired so much, could act this way, and this threw her belief system awry. Soon after, she snuck out to a country bar and met Jack. I guess she transferred all her hopes and dreams of a stable life, from her own family to Jack.

On a superficial note – is that a mullet hairstyle she is rocking?  Not the most flattering, nor the dress. But LS’ beauty shines through

• Members

It was a big loss to the show when LS left the role of Patty. Bill Bell loved writing for her and was upset when she left. Andrea Evans version was pretty much a bust.

I'm trying to remember if this sets up the storyline where Patty does get pregnant and when she comes to see Jack at his office, she see's him banging Diane. Stunned she trips over a potted plant on her way out without them seeing her. Carl who is working at Jabot as a security guard because of a temporary suspension from the force finds her and asks if she is OK. She later miscarries. 

• Members

Sadly, I think Stacy H could have been a good Patty.. but the show decided to make the character into a redeemable caricature instead of a fully 3D character struggling to maintain balance.  Her first few months as Mary Jane/Patty before the character went caricature.. she was conflicted about going along with Victor's plan before devolving fully into mental illness.  There was one scene where she was angry about not being able to comfort her brother Paul after Nikki broke off their engagement and how she blamed Victor.

I do agree that LS quitting affected the long term potential of Patty especially since she quit a short time before the Patty shooting Jack story took place.  I didn't think Andrea Evans was horrible as Patty and maybe if she'd played Patty from the start,  it would have been different... but there is one youtube out there where she was playing Patty doing the divorce talk with Jack and she did a good job, I thought.

• Members

Lilibet just has more complexity in her portrayal. She seems like a young girl trying to be a woman and being brought back to earth by her father. She is trying to be strong and in control, but begins to realise she isn't. I always felt Andrea was too sure of herself and a little more brittle and vampish, her Patty was quite straight forward, Lilibet seemed more nuanced. The writing was fantastic for her, I can see why Bell wanted LS to stick around, and even come back and I have to say I want to see more of her run. It is amazing between the April/May 82 episode that was floating around earlier (it was labelled Oct 82) when John is telling Patty Jack won't marry her and this later 82 episode, you can see the change in Patty, but also still see the same young woman (I think she is supposed to be 17/18) Bell and co. were doing a great job with the character, shame Lilibet left.

I always heard November 1982, around Thanksgiving. I don't think she was on prior to 1982 though. Jack and John seem mostly to have been shown at Jabot through 80-81. Pretty sure the Abbott home was not even built until 1982. 

However, there was a scene where John caught Jack and Jill in bed together in 1981, which is partly why he left town the first time. The scene sounds like it took place in the Abbott home, however it may have also just been a corridor and room set.

I wish I could see those. I do remember in the early days of yt there were heaps of 1982/1983 episodes. I remember clearly watching the Nikki/Kevin/Carolyn story more and Nikki whining to Kay all the time, lol. 

Edited by will81