Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What a fascinating insight on what I consider one of the quality EPs of Y&R. They are so right -- his production style was indeed luscious. I love how he pays tribute to film (the Ross Hunter of Daytime -- Ross Hunter produced Doris Day/Rock Hudson's Pillow Talk which is a gorgeous-looking movie and, I think, still stands up to scrutiny today as being a truly funny romcom). However, he also has such pride to be working in Daytime and perfecting every little detail on the show.

Of course, he made a lot of enemies, not least WJB himself, and his last stint at GL was completely panned. Still, I always love hearing about these ominpotent producers' trajectory and stories. There is method to their madness.

Edited by Cat

• Members

@ Dr Neil Curtis - I have heard a lot of reasons for the Brooks sisters being phased out. As well as most of the characters of the first 10 years of the show. One was Bell was over the constant recasts of the characters. I think maybe he didn't feel the same desire to write for some of those characters once they had different actors in the role. Then when the show hit an hour in 1980 John McCook left, Brenda Dickson left, Jamie Lyn Bauer and David Hasselhoff wanted to leave and both eventually left two years later. I think Bell just moved on. He needed new characters anyway to pad the show out when it hit an hour.

Anyone know for sure or have more detail?

• Members

Hey Carl thanks for those articles. I love behind the scenes stuff, it is interesting, I was watching Bell's TV Legends interview and he didn't seem to like John Conboy at all at that point. But have to admit he did a great job with that show.

• Members

I heard the same thing. SOD did a brief article on that. Something about attempts to save shows or reboots. They said Bell was tired of the recasts and he said if one more person decided to leave, he would write out the entire Brooks family, so when Jamie Lyn Bauer chose to leave, he wrote them all out. I especially wish Leslie and Lorie could have stayed, but I am not a big recast fan so I understand. I still want Lorie back and Bauer is willing.