Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks for posting this alphaguy! I always enjoy seeing the soap stars compete on game shows especially the older episodes like this,

Wow, interesting combination of having Beth Maitland and Michael Corbett. Beth was actually a very good player, of course MTS is still the pyramid champ but she did very well during the last winner circle. Corbett was a little slow but hey it's a tough game.

I loved the "soap d jaur" question that was all about Y&R, but i was a little annoyed that didn't know the answers, i guess she hasn't seen Y&R. I was happy when they let them get more time, cause i really wanted to see what else they had in the category.

I liked Beth making the comparison between her and Traci when she said they both talk fast. Traci does do that ALOT on the show (or at least back then she did) and i'm not surprised Beth does it too.

That's funny about the Corbett "an excited man" line. I wanna see that episode too. (Not as badly as i wanna see the old Family feud Y&R episodes)

Corbett had to have been done playing David at this point. They shot like 4 weeks in advance, so he defintely wasn't reporting to work after he did pyramid.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Barry Cahill,who was married to Rachel Ames (Audrey GH) has died.In the mid 70's he played Sam Powers,a love interest for Liz Foster.

RIP+Cahill.jpg

RIP Barry Cahill

Cahill, Barry May 28, 1921 - April 9, 2012 Born in Vancouver, Canada to Stephen and Theresa Cahill. Accomplished actor of 50 years. Known for his sense of humor and love of life, he will be missed by all. Loving husband, father, uncle, brother and friend. Survived by his wife of 42 years, Rachel, daughter Christine, step-daughter Susan, grandchildren, Jocelyn and Marc, and nieces Leslie, Theresa and Mary Ann. Funeral services were held at Mission Hills Catholic Mortuary

• Members

April 1976 Daytime TV Stars

Deborah Channel reviews.

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

CONTEMPORARY...SEXY...BEAUTIFUL...SLICK

The world of daytime drama has never been, nor will it ever be, the same since the advent of The Young And The Restless for no soap opera has so altered the complexion of soap opera as much as this very "young" show, and producers feel that it represents the wave of the future.

To be sure, the highest praise one can accord the drama is that is is the daytime drama of the seventies, its look, its subject matter, its execution, is modern, slick and right out of the mores of today. Because of this soap, producers on other shows have gained a new perspective and the accent these days is definitely on the word young. Search For Tomorrow, The Edge of Night, Love of Life are all incorporating story slants with a young accent.

The difference with The Young And The Restless is that their young people (William Gray Espy, Trish Stewart, Tom Hallick, Janice Lynde, Beau Kayzer) are all older people playing young and that does make a difference.

Another difference is that the show is beautiful. The most gorgeous people parade across the screen. Some may snicker and say "Hollywood," but it works. You want to watch these people; you want to get into their lives. Everyone needs a bit of glamour to take us away from whatever mundaneness we may feel. That's why we watch soap operas, to get involved in other people's lives, and if they're attractive, all the better.

Strange that they label the show "Hollywood," because the other two soapers originally from the West Coast, Days of our Lives and General Hospital, do not have the same look at all. The Young and the Restless is slick and the slicker it is the better.

A word about the casting, it's absolutely perfect. In William Gray Espy, and now, in Beau Kayzer, we have the best of what a soap opera hero should be...good looking, yet vulnerable. The same holds true for Janice Lynde (who, by the way, fares from New York), James Houghton, Trish Stewart, Brenda Dickson, and Jaime Lyn Bauer. Even an oldtimer like Donnelly Rhodes had the perfect mix of macho-sensitivity and sexual allure.

As for the raunchy scripts which fill our eyes with bedroom lovemaking, well, it's about time soaps came out from under the covers. At the time when As the World Turns and other such soaps were created, the world was living under a different moral code. Not to place a judgment on the code, but soaps should mirror the world they depict. Times changes, people change and a certain amount of acknowledgement of that is not only necessary, but essential.

Some soaps, for example, are following the mold created by Another World (Days of Our Lives, As the World Turns, and soon, General Hospital) and they are broadcasting for one hour. The Young and the Restless, as contemporary as it is, will not make the switch-over. Producer John Conboy feels that his show is just fine the way it is and he doesn't wish to tamper with a good thing. Conboy is no fool either. He made Love is a Many Splendored Thing into a winning drama, and it's a shame that CBS let that show's success slip away. Splendored Thing was the forerunner of The Young and the Restless.

For the first time daytime had such personalities as David Birney, Leslie Charleson, Donna Mills and Ed Power. All of them have gone on to increase in their careers and there's no telling what similar fate Y&R people will have. Certainly, William Gray Espy will not have a hard time finding his way in show business now that he's left the soap opera.

As for the scripts, generally speaking, they reach a high quality level of drama, and one is usually never bored by what is happening on the screen. A knowledgeable person of soap opera commented that the show had the perfect blend of fantasy and reality. What he meant was that Y&R presented themes which were germane and particularly meaningful to the world of today (mastectomy, rape), yet, they were presented under the guise of fantasy. Here were all of the beautiful people who were suffering the harsh realities of our sometimes cruel world.

It was a while back that Y&R had an involved plot regarding one of the characters being raped. She took the case to court and lost; a very realistic outcome. This is particularly interesting when one realizes that a nighttime show centering on the same problem had a happier ending where the woman wins. It is an evident reality that it is difficult to prove rape in a court and it's to Y&R's credit that they upheld what is happening rather than what should be happening.

Presently, there is a storyline involving breast cancer. Certainly, this is worthy of attention and who knows how many lives can be saved because of the awareness the show is bringing to its millions of daily viewers.

There's no doubt that Y&R is the most addicting of the new soaps. Apart from All My Children, every soap introduced within the last five years or so has failed (How To Survive A Marriage, Return to Peyton Place, Bright Promise, The Best of Everything, A World Apart). Yet, Y&R remains the winner. There's an album out of the beautiful original score and soon a paperback novelization is due to hit the stands. No other soap opera has achieved such recognition in so short a time. And it has accomplished this without the use of big name stars to help it along. The Young and the Restless doesn't need any help. It is helping to make a yesterday out of old, tired formulas; it is creating a solid base for how soaps should be presented today, and, for sure, it will be an influencing factor on all of the daytime dramas of the future. To be sure, in talking about The Young and the Restless one is talking about daring know-how, quality, excitement and general excellence.