Unplayable characters

• Members

You know them, you cringe at them, sometimes the actor pulls it off, but generally no matter who plays the role, something is off, or it is a miracle that the character holds together as long as it does. There is just something wrong almost every step of the way.

A few of my choices:

Babe, AMC

Marissa, AMC

Krystal, AMC

Ric Lansing, GH

Carly, GH -- I really think this character only thrived because of Sarah Brown, and then because of her place in Sonny/Jason's life. I like Laura Wright more than many probably do but she is just playing a cartoon at this point.

Chloe, Y&R

Kelly, OLTL

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hm... I'm sure this will run for 10 pages and every single character will be listed. Anyway, I'm more interested in what is wrong: the current writing or how the character has been conceived initially? Or is it just that, really, the actress is just atrocious?

I'm surprised you haven't listed anybody from Y&R, that show is full of shitty non-characters which are actually embodiments of certain agendas.

• Members

I think it's generally both. If a character is brought in as a plot device and then the show scrambles to "fix" their mistakes. If a character does horrendous things but the show doesn't want to talk about it because that might make some viewers not see them as pure awesomeness (even though the actions being covered up just makes fans hate them even more). If a character is brought in with a backstory which rewrites history and is full of gimmicks and pushed way too hard too fast.

• Members

I mentioned Chloe.

I didn't mention most of the others because I think they had potential or someone once did an OK job with them or could have (Vail as Heather, William Russ as Tucker, Joan van Ark as Gloria).

I guess I should have mentioned Daisy and Ryder, but I generally just try to pretend they don't exist...

I should mention Jana. The only reason she is still there is probably because of Emily O'Brien. What a huge mess of a character she is.

• Administrator

I agree. Look at Nicole/Ari Zucker on DAYS. Before Nicole was one of the worst characters to watch and Ari was such a bad actress.....then she returns in 2008 and now Nicole is one of the best characters to watch and Ari is such a good actress now.

• Members

She suffers from the same problem many other characters do and its that she's stayed longer than she should have. Not every character is meant to be longterm and they've forced her past the point where she should have left. Kidnapping Kevin and Colleen should have been the climax of the character and how she was written out. She never should have been brought back, redeemed and still around today. She's outlived her usefulness and Y&R hasnt realized that yet

• Members

The problem with today's Y&R is that if you get rid of people who have outlived their usefulness, your cast would be about four people. They do not know how to write for anyone. I think that's why they are so afraid to let people go, unless they can scapegoat them. I think they're also afraid to let her go because that would weaken Kevin, as the asexual relationship he has with Chloe doesn't really do a lot, and they also may need her to prop Ronan.

• Members

The only thing is... that, as Cheap said, I don't think there's an unplayable character. It's difficult to prove, but, ultimately, the fact that a character hasn't worked is more often than not the consequence of a set of unfortunate circumstances.

I like your lists, the initial one and the additional Y&R one.

• Members

Good choices. Poor Marcy Walker, ugh, Tangie.

What were Celeste and Suzanne like?

A few others:

Josie, AW

Probably 3/4 of the characters ever brought onto B&B

Anita Santos, AMC

Laura Kirk, AMC

Spencer, OLTL -- from what I've seen of him

Paige, OLTL -- ditto

Stacy, OLTL

Archived