The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He was my FAVE! I freaking loved that spazzy jerk & his sheer love for Laurie/Carl. It was beyond fascinating to watch. I was devastated when he died but you just knew it was coming; I'm with you though, I thought they'd at least give him one more season. LOL

I loooove & am obsessed with Jon Bernthal after watching this. What a guy.

LOL

LMAO! He is sooo annoying & It's astounding how many times Laurie has lost track of where he runs off to. So bad. The scene when he was taunting & throwing rocks at the Walker was preposterous! Also, I cannot deal with the fact that he killed Shane's Walker. That sh-t was wrong!

OMG, I despised Dale & his permanent shocked face. He was excruciatingly meddlesome and watered down everything. Just beyond irritating. I couldn't help but cheer when he died; I'm so sorry. LOL

Cheap I looove that we had the same fave character biggrin.png

onto season 3 cool.png I just had to see what everyone's thoughts up to that point were.

• Members

He's damn hot. Have you heard his regular accent? I was shocked

lori_grimes_the_perfect_parent_by_ladyli

The woman can't keep track of her own child and that right there moulds my disdain for her! Actually she was on my last nerve from her first breath on the show, when she had that dumb idea to waltz into the highway and put signs up for oncoming passengers. The way she had a hissy fit and stormed off when Shane rightfully shot that down was embarrassing. I knew I would never like her. LOL

BHlp2.png

I mean really!

Stunned at the beginning of the third season to see her like 7 months pregnant, racing through the woods with gun in hand shooting Walkers. OMG, I know It's nearly impossible but sit down somewhere ;'-(( LOL. It's insanity. Well I'm glad when they were ambushing the prison she at least stayed outside the gate (and with Carl no less!) while everyone else trampled through. Maybe seas 3 i'll develop a soft spot for her?

• Members

I wont spoil it for you, but I look forward to your thoughts when it ends. I never liked her. In fact I hate the entire family and no greater joy would have put a smile on my face then to see them all eaten by zombies

How do you feel about Andrea? I feel like Im alone in liking her as most of the internet seems to despise her

• Members

Shane going mad and becoming the true danger produced some of the best material the show's ever had - his last few episodes are chilling, even with all that blather about Randall. His murder is probably my favorite scene on the show. I had no real use for the fanon ideas that he was a kick-ass leader (he never was, never would be) or that he was the father Carl should have had (not even close), but Jon Bernthal did a wonderful job, and I did feel for Shane in the end. The Shane/Rick relationship was the real one. Lori was just a plot device.

I like Andrea but the show really fails in season 2 to know the difference between saying someone is strong and actually making them strong. Having her shoot Daryl was one of the dumbest writing choices the show ever made.

• Members

I have love/hate for Andrea. Most of the time she really aggravates me with her bone headed decisions and abundance of pride. But up to the point I'm at now, I have to admire and appreciate her journey and growth so far as a survivor/fighter and character overall. I loved seeing her bust through all those Walkers in the forest at the end of seas 2 like a boss.

100% agreed Carl, Shane's last story arc was the best and the relationship between Shane & Rick has been the true stand out of the series. My favorite scene is the one they had in the middle of the country road where Rick tried to set him straight & also the following fight scenes at the public works station. (After all the fighting, it was the best when Shane was barricaded in the school bus, under the impression he was abandoned by Rick/Randall, and he preceded to continue to survive by using the blood technique Rick had just tought him beforehand. Then Boom, Rick comes back to save him after all. AWESOME.)

• Members

That's a terrific scene. That whole sequence is wonderful, especially when the wrench (?) breaks the window and there's a sick sense of silence and dread. That episode (18 Miles Out) is probably my favorite, especially the bookending device of the walker in the field Rick sees as they drive to the school and back. A sick harbinger for many things, IMO.

Jon really was great in the role. He was supposed to die very early on but they extended the role for that reason.

I think the Shane/Rick relationship was so complex. The scene where Shane wipes his bloodied face is so moving. A big part of Rick died with Shane, and Rick knew it.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I liked Lori and Andrea - Lori in particular was a far more compelling, three-dimensional character on the show thanks to Sarah Wayne Callies, as opposed to the often-shrill caricature of the comics (most characters in Kirkman's comic were a variant on shrill or crazy, really). I think they tried to push her into a box at times but she was too good an actress, and the material for her ended up being pushed forward and ultimately improved because of it. Same with Jon Bernthal and Shane, I'm sure, among other characters (Carol, etc. who's very different from the comic).

Andrea is a survivor and Rick's eventual mate in the comics, but that character's also very different. Laurie Holden, I thought, impressed me with her strength and force immediately; she's a great actress. The problem is they didn't seem to understand who they wanted her to be - an idealist? a politician? Someone's ideological counter? They didn't seem to know where she was going, but I'm sure part of that had to do with the two or three different showrunners during her time on the show. If they had ever intended for her to be a lifer on the show I think that went out the window fast. I think Andrea on the show ran her course - she tried to effect change, did her best for people, and sacrificed herself.

They were wonderful actresses. But I think the show moved beyond both those characters - they don't really suit who this unit and family are now. I can't imagine them with the group today, maybe Lori who got much stronger, but not Andrea, who was, I think, while strong, also always trying to find a way to roll things back to something better. The difference between her and Hershel was that Hershel was able to build something in the here and now, as best he could.

Edited by Vee

• Members

God, Tyreese continues to be the worst character on this show. Why anyone would ever even consider an idea of his is absolutely beyond me. And now I'm supposed to care about Sasha's angst over her less than half a season romance with Bob....as good as the show has become there are still some serious blunders with a few characters.

• Members

I liked Bob and Sasha's thing - it was a supporting character story, but it worked for me. I just hope Sasha's role continues to grow, because I think Sonequa Martin-Green is great. She easily surpasses Tyreese for me at the moment.

I love Chad Coleman and always will for Cutty on The Wire, and I think he does a great job on the show but they desperately need to evolve Tyreese. I still can't believe Daryl and Rick went along with his terrible, terrible plan.

I like Tara, but I could lose her without much problem. I think adding her, Abraham, Rosita and Dr. Liarpants all at once was a mistake. I don't care about Rosita or Abraham (or poor Seth Gilliam as the priest) and I don't see that changing unless a bunch of people I'd rather be watching die to give Rosita more time to grow, and I'd find that unfortunate.

Edited by Vee

• Members

To me the only real mistake was adding Rosita/Eugene/Abraham. They don't fit into the show and that stuck out when they were with the group for a few episodes. I like Rosita the best of the three and I wouldn't mind seeing them find a way to keep her around. The problem is there are already several women similar to her. The show is blessed with a lot of interesting female characters in that age group and they struggle to write for them.

I think Tara's great - she is like no one else on the show and allows for dynamics they can't explore with anyone else. She also adds a lot of dorky humor which is needed on a very self-serious program.

I care deeply about Sasha. Her relationship with Bob was short and fairly obviously telegraphed to where someone was going to die, but it was an interesting gender flip - usually on TV the woman dies suddenly and the man struggles to cope. I'm not crazy about her idiot plotting moment with the cop Bob, but I can forgive it as long as they don't keep doing it. I think Sasha adds to the show, as she's (usually) no-nonsense and dependable. She's a good soldier, and she doesn't have the emotional baggage or history of some of the others. That means they could play around with the idea of the group, where it's going, what it's supposed to be. For instance, she was never around during the time when Rick was leader, she doesn't especially need or want to be led. Do something with that.

I don't think they've ever known what to do with Tyreese. I think they only brought him in because they were criticized for racist treatment of black men, and he was a big comics character. Unfortunately, his role from the comics had already been taken by others on the show, namely Daryl. So far they've mostly written stories about his humanity. This worked with The Grove, but not so much with the group. His plan made no real sense, and even as much of a care bear as Daryl has become, I'm not sure he would have agreed to it.

• Members

I think Tara's fun but I don't think she's that different. I think that's the actress, whose performance probably motivated them to keep her around longer. She's fine, she just is not a priority for me. And Rosita has barely risen above the level of video game character AFAIC. She, like Abraham, seems to only be there because she was in the comics, and that didn't save Andrea who was a much stronger performer and character IMO.

They can develop Tyreese but at the moment he seems to be spare to requirements. That being said, I'd sooner watch him than the other three more recent n00bs or even Tara - I think Chad Coleman's too talented to waste.

• Members

The new trio[Abraham, Mullet and Rosita] do nothing for me. They've barely interacted with the cast[aside from Glen and Tara], and the episode with them was my least favorite this season.

Tara could go or stay,as she is just there to me, but wouldn't be a huge loss. It's time for Glen and Maggie to let the others know it's time to rejoin the group and find her sister. As for newbie priest, he may just be a nice casualty.

Owen on the other hand was [is] a great character. Maybe it's the actor, but I'd like to see him stick around. I hope the next half of the season has the group together and interacting. All of these separation stories spread the group too thin.

I still don't understand why Tyreese didn't stay with Judith so Michonne could shine [unless there's a good reason the writers left her there].