The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't believe Maggie and Glenn will have the happy ending many are expecting. Him finding the sign is too easy and cutesy ootsey! With Maggie's luck, she will get her sister back instead [someone she does not give 2 sh!ts about]. I think Glenn is fish food!!!!!

Bout time Michonne and Rick are back. Oh, and Carl too.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This show is such a rollercoaster. Last week and the first week of the season were so good. Everything else has just seemed so disjointed and disappointing. The season they spent on the farm(while I know a lot of people hate it) is still my favorite.

I've really lost interest in Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl to an extent. I know each character has their own trajectory, but these three interest me the least at this point. I feel like they are really pushing the character of Rick out of the limelight and for those who wish him gone, I suspect next season he'll be gone, but who knows.

It's really strange that the season's on cable television shows tend to be so much shorter, lessening the need for filler episodes, but that's what I have come to feel this show has become even with their shortened seasons.

• Members

I have rarely felt like cable shows are short on filler. I think that this is something which is used to sell cable shows as superior to network shows, more than something that has ever actually been. The Sopranos was the definition of filler most of the years it was on the air. I have never watched a cable show that did not have tons of filler. Even shows like Game of Thrones, that are set in about 20 different places, often grind to a halt so that we can see women grinding on various men (or each other).

I actually think TWD has had less filler this season than previous seasons, but there's still plenty of dead spots.

I feel like Daryl is a child at this point. The contrast between Daryl and Joe (the leader of the group) was striking, because, yes, he was a monster, but he was so commanding and menacing. Jeff Kober sold so many layers I haven't seen in Daryl since Daryl became a pin-up for viewers.

• Members

But Daryl was never meant to be menacing. That was Merle's job. Daryl had a tough childhood living in his brother's shadow and had to be tough to keep up with him. Otherwise, Daryl has been nothing but an anchor for Rick and the guy you want with you in the trenches. No one in the original group had a reason to fear Daryl, and they knew they could count on him. I remember in a few situations when they were fighting zombies, depending on the situations, Rick would call out for Daryl even though he had others by his side.

Daryl is not a leader, but he's a survivor and cares about others.

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

A lot of fans think this may be it for Maggie, between how upset Lauren Cohan was when she was on Talking Dead when Hershel was killed, and that scene of her burning the photo.

As for the episode - I'd actually expected worse from what I'd heard online. I enjoyed the big reunion between Maggie and Glenn and the quiet moment when they were alone. I like that they are their own little world. I appreciate Glenn's friendship with Tara and how he repaid her for her trying so hard to help him. The Daryl stuff wasn't all that interesting (I guess this his low point as he doesn't feel he will ever have more), but I do think Joe is fascinating; very much like a colder, less volatile, more dangerous version of Merle Dixon.

I was happy to see Rick, Michonne, and Carl again. For about sixty seconds. I love that little group.

The only real downside was Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita. Eugene is amusing in small doses but the other two seem brain dead for believing him. And whoever plays Rosita can't act.

• Members

Early on Daryl was a loose cannon - it took physical force to keep him in line, and even on the farm, he nearly hit Carol at one point. I think a lot of that went away once he was fully embraced by the group. I guess he's now regressed more to the little brother who was scared, rather than the one in the first season who put on more of a front.

I feel like they don't want to go too far with Daryl, because he's such a fan favorite. I understand why they are hesitant, but sometimes I think it takes away story possibilities.

• Members

I think Daryl is really simple to understand. He never had love, acceptance, healthy relationships. He forged those and his true self came out. He stopped reacting and lashing out and started thinking and planning the best you can in this. His anger at Beth assuming he'd been to prison explains all the sides to him in one scene IMO.

This episode was great, and the two before it were solid. Other than that tho this season IMO has been mediocre at best.