ABC: Nighttime Soap In Development

Sylph

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe it's time for CBS or NBC to take a crack out of doing a soap opera. Since their identities are different from ABC, it could add a different element to the prime-time soap. Perhaps CBS could pick up a procedural and focus on the soapy aspects with cases that last for several episodes as opposed to just one episode. Not sure what NBC could do since they never had a successful primetime soap in the 1980's but perhaps it could give them a shot in the arm they need to stay competitive.

• Members

NBC is rebuilding so that would be the best place for a soap. CBS tried with Cane but it didn't work. Ironic considering they're the most successful network ever in terms of soaps. I think The Good Wife is a good start, but their schedule is too safe. I don't see them risking it.

• Members

Nor did they have the support of Tartikoff. He hated the primetime soaps and didn't want one for his network, but he relented given the times. He bought Bare Essence from CBS where it was a hit mini-series and of course there was the controversial Flamingo Road, both neither did great and I can't help but wonder if he was all, "I told ya so."

I wonder if network heads are resistant to the idea of fabulously wealthy characters being the center of their dramas. I think they find the concept too dated, and when you subtract those elements and a healthy dose of camp, you basically have what you've already got going in primetime. I think they all eschew straight melodrama in favor of ironic, snarky humor that takes the edge off of anything that might be getting to close to their idea of "soap opera".

• 3 months later...

Archived