Look into the past: December 1972

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the summaries FrenchFan they are very much appreciated.

As always it's General Hospital that interests me the most...interesting that it turned out Diana turned out not to have Hodgkins after all. I wonder if that's because the Hursleys decided to go in a different direction with her story (I do know that she's due to lose her son Tracy and learn that she's pregnant by Phil as a result of the rape and the resulting drama lasts for the best part of two years until Phil is killed in December 1974).

Also I wonder how long this Dr Steward will be hanging around...Audrey eventually married her third husband Dr Jim Hobart after getting Tommy back and erroneously believing husband #2 Tom Baldwin had been killed.

• Members

Sorry, but Erica's abortion did not occur in 1973. It happened in the summer of 1972. If you read this synopsis closely, you will see that Erica and Jeff are already speaking of divorce so that Jeff and Mary Kenicott can marry. Shortly after this, Jason Maxwell is murdered. Erica's abortion preceded all of these events, despite what the history books say. :P

• Members

I didn't know Tempo was around in 1973.

I had wondered whether Susan and Julie patched up their friendship after years of open warfare. It's nice that they did. Did that happen when Denise was still on the show?

Interesting that GH had a story about a couple who were worried about overpopulation. That was very "in" at that time but I didn't know soaps ever talked about it.

• Members

Roe vs Wade came into effect in early 1973, but maybe abortion was already legal in Pennsylvania and people have just gotten a bit confused about the timeline - ie: since Erica's was the first legal abortion they may have assumed it took place after Roe vs Wade but in actual fact it took place before when abortion was legal in some states but not in others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wanted to get this back on the front page for those like me who haven't read it all. And wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to one of the posters, along with Paul Raven and saynotoursoap, among others, who helps remind me of the soaps and their glorious, ugly, fascinating past.

• Members

This sharing of summaries is fantastic. I only ever watched Y&R, hooked by my grandmother, but I am aware of the other soaps and really interested to read what they were doing during this period. Thanks FrenchFan for sharing. I have said on another thread that I realize that it takes a lot of effort to write these up, so I do appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Oh I didn't do this for you to add more (although I'd love to read more!), I just didn't want this to get lost in the woods, as this is a resource that covers a lot of stuff which can't be found elsewhere. Most of this wasn't really covered by soap magazines in 1973.

Archived