Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Interesting, obviously Lisa was still town pariah at this time, at the conversation between Liz and this Amanda, they are concerned about everyone BUT Lisa in relation to Tom ("How's Nancy, how's Grandpa Hughes," ) The dialogue is stilted but it still seems more realistic then what you have heard in the last few years, especially something big like someone they know being held for murder..now it would be like "Did you here...yes, yes, I heard but do you think Brock Mason is interested in me?" I love the reference to Tom being in a "broken home," (who isn't in Oakdale) and the implication by not mentioning her, that it is Lisa's fault (after the one character mentioned the broken home I thought the other was going to say, "Oh yea, and his mom IS a real bitch!"

Interesting refrences to Nancy being the iron lady (no writer today would have a nice mother grandmother be so stern and judgemental about her own family.)

As I said, the dialogue is bad, (would a daughter call her own dad, "Father Lowell,") and what happened to Judge Lowell, he is kind of a major character to just disappear and no one mentions him? Also, interesting that Irna uses Vietnam and what it could do to a soldier in this storyline....this was before AMC right and its much vaunted "relevancy," concerning Vietnam and other social issues. I much prefer this in using issues to drive storylines instead of Agnes (and Marland later) hitting you over the head with them.

• Members

Judge Lowell wasn't Claire's father. He was her father-in-law. Claire was married to Judge Lowell's son Jim (their daughter is Ellen Lowell Stewart). Jim died early on in the show after that scandalous affair with Chris Hughes' sister Edith.

• Members

Ah..okay, makes a bit more sense. Interesting that Irna, who based Edith on herself (some say her daughter was a product of an affair with a married guy) punished someone for the affair, but it was the guy. Can you imagine anyone writing two good people having an affair today, with out one of them being evil or trying to escape an evil wife, etc.

• Members

Well, Irna didn't exactly punish them. Irna's original plan was to have Jim divorce Claire and marry Edith, but P&G had a fit because that would've been like awarding the adulterers with happiness and they wouldn't stand for that. Irna pretty much killed off Jim (who was quite popular with the audience) out of spite.

• Members

LOL..wow, she paved the way for JFP (who if she got mad at an actor, network head, took it out on the character.)

Also interesting to note that the Dobson's version of Tom, with Deas, is more in synch with what Irna was writing at this time (Vietnam vet, kind of black sheep of the family) then the writers that followed her, which made Tom a younger version of Bob, or with the Marx and Holmes versions (though I will take Greg Marx Tom anyway I can get him.) Interesting if they had written Deas a little more seriously as having damage from his childhood and being Vietnam, instead of just the hippy kind of guy they wrote him as.