As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow, I don't remember them keeping the Hughes back porch as recent as 2004, the last few years it seemed like Bob and Kim were homeless and hanging out a Lisa's hotel all the time. Bailey Chase wasnt bad as Chris but far too old, and Susan looks hot here.

Speaking of hot, the midshow preview shot of Mike......grrrrrr, why couldnt they have him be the "Stranger," on Once Upon a Time or be on some other show?

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Some episode summaries of eps available at The Paley Center

Friday Dec 1st 67

After receiving a call from Lisa, who sounds very sick, Bob prepares to go to her apartment and check on her. He convinces Chris not to mention anything to Nancy because it is probably nothing and Bob doesn't want Nancy worrying. Arriving at Lisa's apartment, Bob is perplexed by her serious cough and does a routine examination on her which indicates she has pneumonia. Bob says it is imperative that Lisa get to the hospital for a thorough examination but she refuses to leave the apartment. He can't understand why she refuses to go to the hospital, but the reason becomes clear when Lisa tells him she is pregnant. Meanwhile, Chris and Pa talk about the mystery behind Sandy's disappearance and whether she will show up for the holiday season. Bob is shocked by Lisa's news and can't understand why she would let herself become pregnant again. Bob arranges for Lisa to have a private room at the hospital and she reluctantly agrees.

Monday Nov 1st 1965

The Cassens and the Hughes learn that Ellen has agreed to marry David. When Ellen tells Claire, Doug, and Judge Lowell about her engagement, they are shocked because they had been certain that she would marry Donald. Doug even confronts David, accusing him of taking advantage of Ellen's love for her son, Dan. The Hughes also had been certain that Donald would marry Ellen, until he shared the news of the broken engagement at Grandpa Hughes's birthday celebration. Ultimately, Ellen and David are the only ones who seem pleased with the turn of events.

Friday Oct 7th 1966

Claire Cassen lies wideawake in the middle of the night waiting for her husband, Dr. Doug Cassen, to arrive home from a house call to Mrs. Rogers. When Doug returns home, he's very distraught because his patient has suddenly died of heart failure. The next day, Ted Rogers visits Doug's office to find out exactly what happened to his wife. Doug doesn't know what to tell Ted, and the grieving husband demands that an autopsy be done. Doug then reveals some past medical information about Mrs. Rogers which shocks Ted. In a rage, Ted pushes Doug away and the doctor trips over a chair and hits his head on the floor.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

A 1970 script from my collection...

atwtscriptcover.jpg

ACT I

CASSEN DEN. MORNING. AT OPENING, JUDGE LOWELL IS TALKING ON THE PHONE. HE HOLDS AN OPENED NEWSPAPER. CLAIRE, LOOKING VERY ANXIOUS, IS STANDING NEAR HIM.

JUDGE

(INTO PHONE) ... Oh? When did Mr. Hughes get my message? I see. Fine. Thank you. (HANGS UP, TURNS TO CLAIRE) Don left his apartment (hotel?) half an hour ago, he's on his way here.

CLAIRE

(INDICATES THE NEWSPAPER) Good. I hope he can tell us more about Tom and the murder than that confused story in the newspaper.

JUDGE

I presume he can tell us a great deal more. He and Chris have been the attorneys on the case almost from the moment the boy was arrested. (LOOKS AT NEWSPAPER, SHAKES HIS HEAD) "Stepson Held for Doctor's Murder". Incredible, absolutely incredible.

CLAIRE

That someone decided to murder Michael Shea? No, Father Lowell, it isn't incredible at all. He was a cruel, hateful man. I'm surprised that someone didn't do it long before this.

JUDGE

Now, now, Claire, you're prejudiced -- you can't judge Michael Shea fairly.

CLAIRE

After the wretched experiences I went through with him, I -- yes, you're right. I can't judge him fairly. I feel nothing but contempt at the very mention of his name.

JUDGE

However, I did not mean that it is incredible that someone murdered him -- I meant that it is incredible that Tom Hughes is the one the police are convinced is the murderer.

CLAIRE

But he's not. Father Lowell. Nothing has been proven... the police only have suspicions.

JUDGE

Claire, I am one hundred percent behind Tom -- our law firm will conduct his defense to the utmost of our ability -- but we must be aware that those police suspicions are based on very solid evidence.

CLAIRE

Solid evidence?

JUDGE

(INDICATES PAPER AGAIN) Tom's record with drugs -- his incriminating confession letter -- the janitor's clear and precise description of the murderer. Yes, I'm afraid they have a most substantial case -- and we will have to put up the fight of our lives if we're going to get the boy cleared.

CLAIRE

(LOOKS AT WATCH, IMPATIENTLY) Where on earth is Don? Maybe he's found something that will make Tom's case look a little more hopeful.

JUDGE

While we're waiting, I could call Chris. He and Don have been working together on this.

CLAIRE

Oh, yes, Father Lowell, call him -- please. Maybe he -- no, wait -- you better not. He's sure to be home with Nancy -- and I can imagine how she must feel right now.

JUDGE

Why not call Lisa?

CLAIRE

She won't be home. I'm sure she and her mother are down at the police station to see Tom. They -- (THE DOORBELL RINGS, FROM THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE)

CLAIRE

Oh, there's Don. _________ (NAME OF MAID, IF ESTABLISHED) will let him in. Father Lowell, you said that Don has been working with his father on Tom's defense. Does that mean he's decided to come back into the firm?

JUDGE

No. Chris and Nancy have been trying to persuade him to do it, but he's just going to be with us on this one case -- and that's only because of his personal interest in his nephew. Then he'll go back to his own -- (BRING IN DON. HE IS WEARING A COAT AND CARRYING A BRIEF CASE)

CLAIRE

Good morning, Don.

JUDGE

Hello, Don.

DON

(REMOVING THE COAT, PLACING THE BRIEF CASE ON THE TABLE) Morning, Claire -- Judge Lowell. Sorry it took me so long to get here -- I stopped by the County Jail to make sure Tom had everything he needed. (FROWNS) It was hardly the most cheerful way to start a day.

JUDGE

(SURPRISED) Tom is in the County Jail? So soon?

DON

(NODDING) They moved him from Central Police Station first thing this morning. Along with nine other prisoners, in one of those ugly black trucks. It looked like a hearse.

CLAIRE

Oh, the poor boy. How was he?

DON

Quiet. Very quiet. (BEAT) On the outside. (BEAT) Inside, he's scared to death.

JUDGE

A pity --

DON

I've known him all his life -- he couldn't hide it from me.

JUDGE

I suggest that we get started, counselor -- we have work to do. And we face a serious problem.

DON

A serious problem?

JUDGE

(INDICATING THE NEWSPAPER AND DON'S BRIEF CASE) The mass of evidence against Thomas Christopher Hughes.

DON

We have a far more serious problem than that.

JUDGE

Oh? What?

DON

(BEAT) Thomas Christopher Hughes himself.

TAKE DON, MORE DEEPLY CONCERNED THAN WE HAVE SEEN HIM BEFORE. TAKE CLAIRE. TAKE JUDGE LOWELL. AND TAKE THEM OUT.

MUSIC: BRIDGE

ACT II

CASSEN DEN. MORNING. A FEW SECONDS AFTER THE PRECEDING SCENE. DON IS CONTINUING HIS TALK WITH THE JUDGE AND CLAIRE.

DON

He simply refused to communicate. With any of us -- on any level.

CLAIRE

Not even with Bob?

DON

Especially not with Bob. He just sat there -- polite, well-mannered, pleasant -- like a polite, well-mannered, pleasant tree trunk -- and wouldn't tell us a thing -- not a blessed thing -- about what happened last night -- where he was -- what he was doing -- who might have seen him at the time of Shea's murder.

JUDGE

Didn't you explain to him that it's almost impossible for an attorney to set up a workable defense unless the accused parties are willing to cooperate?

DON

A dozen times. With absolutely no response -- except to say that what he did, he had to do in his own way. Bob was furious.

JUDGE

He had a right to be. The boy is facing a murder charge and he makes no effort to defend himself. Why, it's the most infuriating thing I ever heard of.

CLAIRE

Yes, it is infuriating. But it's so terribly pathetic, too. When someone has so little need for living that he doesn't even bother trying to survive. Oh, Tom -- that dear, sweet -- hopeless boy.

DON

(BRISKLY, OPENING HIS BRIEF CASE, PULLING OUT LEGAL BOOKS AND PAPERS) Well, it's our job to save his hide -- even if he doesn't want it saved. (SPREADING THE BOOKS AND PAPERS ON A TABLE) I pulled everything out of the law library I thought would help.

JUDGE

Good. Don. The boy is entitled to the best defense we can possibly give him

CLAIRE

(STARTS TOWARD DOOR) I hear coffee sharpens the mind -- I'll go bring some.

TAKE HER OUT. TAKE DON AND THE JUDGE AS THEY START TO LOOK THROUGH THE BOOKS.

JUDGE

(PICKING UP A BOOK) -- The latest rulings on search and seizure. Do you think the police might have been a little over-anxious when they came into Tom's apartment?

DON

(MAKES A NOTE ON A PAD) I'll check on it. But with Lieutenant Robinson on the case, I'd bet that every letter of every law was observed dow to the last semi-colon. He's the sort of fellow who reads the fine print.

JUDGE

What about this janitor -- in case he positively identifies the boy? Is there any new ways we can challenge the validity of that identification?

DON

I was up half the night trying to find an answer to that one.

JUDGE

And...?

DON

And -- nothing. If the janitor picks him out of a legally assembled lineup, he's stuck. The identification is admissible evidence in court. Of course, we can always question the janitor's eyesight -- or his depth perception -- or his -- state of mind at the time.

JUDGE

None of those legal niceties is going to give us any real help, Don, you know that.

DON

I'm afraid I do. What we need most is what he just can't get: the right words from Tom Hughes.

TAKE HIS DEFEATED EXPRESSION,

DISSOLVE TO:

TOM'S JAIL CELL. MORNING. TOM SITS ALONE, HUNCHED FORLORNLY IN A CORNER.

ED'S VOICE

(CALLING FROM THE ADJOINING CELL) Hey! (TOM DOESN'T REACT) Hey, you -- in number 27. (STILL NO REACTION) Hey!

TOM

(FINALLY NOTICES, SITS UP) Me?

ED'S VOICE

You're the only one in 27, they got a policy here of no roommates.

TOM

Hi.

CUT TO ED IN THE ADJOINING CELL. INTERCUT THROUGHOUT THE FOLLOWING, AS REQUIRED.

ED

What's your name?

TOM

Tom.

ED

Mine's Ed.

TOM

Pleased to meet you, Ed.

ED

Same here. Welcome to our exclusive club. Not everybody can get in, you know.

TAKE TOM AS HIS FACE CLOUDS OVER. AND TAKE IT OUT.

ACT III

TOM'S JAIL CELL AND ADJOINING CELL. MORNING. CONTINUATION OF PRECEDING SCENE.

ED

Hey, Tom -- you like peanut butter sandwiches?

TOM

Peanut butter sandwiches?

ED

Yeah.

TOM

Well, I can take them or leave them alone.

ED

Good.

TOM

Good. Why?

ED

I'll tell you why. When they bring us lunch in a couple of hours, ask for an extra peanut butter sandwich. They'll give it to you -- they're very big on peanut butter sandwiches around here.

TOM

But I don't even like them.

ED

That's the point: I'm crazy about them -- and when you get that extra one, I'll trade you for three candy bars I saved from last week. Okay, Tom?

TOM

Okay, Ed.

ED

Hey, you're all right, kid. I like you.

TOM

Thanks.

ED

(BEAT) You married, Tom?

TOM

No. Are you?

ED

No, I never had the time for it.

TOM

Good for you, Ed.

ED

Yeah. (BEAT) Hey, Tom --

TOM

Yeah.

ED

I'm in here for breaking and entering. I'll be out in a month. What'd they get you on? When'll you be out?

(TOM TENSES. FROWNS, RELAXED MOOD GONE AS HE AGAIN SLUMPS FORLORNLY IN THE CORNER OF HIS CELL)

ED

With some luck, I could be gone in two weeks -- why don't we meet then and I'll buy you a couple of peanut butter sandwiches. (LAUGHS) Tom? (NO ANSWER) Tom? ...Hey, Tom, what's the matter, did I say something wrong? ... Tom? ...

TAKE TOM'S DESPERATE, UNHAPPY EXPRESSION AND TAKE IT OUT.

ACT IV

BOOKSHOP LIVING ROOM. MORNING, SHORTLY AFTER BREAKFAST. LIZ IS READING A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE ABOUT THE MURDER. BRING IN PAUL FROM THE BEDROOM AREA. HE IS PUTTING ON HIS COAT AND TIE.

LIZ

-- I must have read this article about Tom and Michael Shea a dozen times -- the words are all running together -- and I still can't believe it. (READS) "Grandson of Prominent Attorney Held for Stepfather's Murder." Oh, no, Paul -- it just couldn't happen. (BEAT) But it did.

PAUL

I feel the same way about it. Working in a hospital, you keep seeing strange behavior by people you'd never expect it from -- but after a while you learn to accept it -- to believe that almost anybody is capable of doing almost anything. It's a terrifying thought, but -- (POINTS TO NEWSPAPER) -- well, you're right -- it did happen. (KISSES HER CHEEK) 'Bye, dear. Unless one of my patients decides to germinate a new and previously undiscovered disease, I should be home by five o'clock.

LIZ

Oh, wonderful. I'll pick up some steaks and fix us a lovely --

PAUL

You will do nothing of the kind. When a young lady achieves your condition, she is required only to eat dinners -- not to fix them. Tonight I will prepare the gourmet delights.

LIZ

We'll starve.

PAUL

Now just a minute. My reputation as a chef -- (THERE IS AN ANXIOUS KNOCKING ON THE DOOR, PAUL OPENS IT. BRING IN AMANDA. SHE HOLDS AN OPENED NEWSPAPER)

AMANDA

Liz -- Paul -- did you see this? About --

LIZ

Yes, we saw it. How tragic.

AMANDA

The Hughes family -- they -- they've become my family. They've been so good to me. How -- how could this happen to them? (LOOKS AT THE PAPER) -- "Held for Stepfather's Muder." (TO PAUL) Can they print that? They don't know he did it, do they?

PAUL

They can print the news. If Tom has been arrested on suspicion of murder, they can print that.

LIZ

How is Nancy? The Hughes? When did you hear about this?

AMANDA

Last night. Don brought me home from dinner. We were all in the kitchen -- the family -- having such a nice time when Bob called.

LIZ

Grandpa Hughes? How is he taking it?

AMANDA

I don't know. He'd gone to bed when Bob called. They decided not to tell him last night. I guess he must know by now.

PAUL

You didn't see the family this morning?

AMANDA

No. I left the house early, and had breakfast at the coffee shop. I -- didn't want to be in the way there.

LIZ

I know how you felt. When you're a guest -- no matter how close you are to the family -- there are times when you just don't want to intrude on their private grief.

PAUL

(LOOKS AT HIS WATCH. PATS AMANDA SYMPATHETICALLY) I'm terribly sorry, Amanda. If there's anything I can do -- I'll be at the hospital. (TO LIZ, KISSING HER AGAIN TENDERLY) Have a good day, Liz.

LIZ

You, too, dear. (PAUL EXITS) Sit down, Amanda. You don't have to open the bookshop for a few minutes. Could I fix you a cup of tea? (AMANDA SHAKES HER HEAD AS SHE SITS DOWN) In England, we believe a cup of tea solves everything. (A BEAT) Do you think I should call Nancy? Or do you think every time the telephone rings in the Hughes house they feel a stab of fear?

AMANDA

They might.

LIZ

A note would be better. You could take it when you go home tonight, couldn't you?

AMANDA

Yes. (A BEAT) Imagine -- arresting Tom Hughes. He's the least violent person I've ever met.

LIZ

Well, they say that under certain conditions anyone is capable of violence. How do we know what pressures Tom may have been under?

AMANDA

Liz, are you implying he really did this? (INDICATES THE PAPER)

LIZ

No, of course not, I'm just saying that you can't rule it out. (A BEAT) I've known for some time now that all wasn't well with Tom -- so has his family.

AMANDA

Well -- yes. I knew that, too.

LIZ

Ever since I first came to America and stayed at teh Hughes' home there have been problems with him. When I moved in, he moved out, you know. He refused to share a room with his father.

AMANDA

But that doesn't mean --

LIZ

It means that he could be a very disturbed young man. And he was in Vietnam and he was wounded. Who knows what the war may have done to him?

AMANDA

In many ways, he and Donald are so much alike. Nancy calls them the "different" ones in the Hughes family.

LIZ

Yes, they're "different" all right. Don is the only one of Nancy's children who really broke away.

AMANDA

I don't think any of them have ever felt it necessary to "break away". They're adults. They can accept their parents as friends -- and love them as equals. You only run away from a family when you've never learned to accept them as people -- not just authority. I think Chris and Nancy have been strong, wise parents.

LIZ

Their strength didn't work with Tom.

AMANDA

Well, in Tom's case they're only his grandparents. I guess Tom is the product of a broken home, wouldn't you say?

LIZ

And a broken home has produced -- this -- ? (INDICATES NEWSPAPER. AMANDA FROWNS, SAYS NOTHING) My goodness, look at the time.

AMANDA

Didn't you say you have an appointment?

LIZ

I do indeed -- for two-thirty. I don't think I can make it.

AMANDA

Certainly you can, if you hurry. I'll get your coat. (AS AMANDA GOES FOR LIZ'S COAT, LIZ LOOKS UNEASY AND CONCERNED. AMANDA BRINGS BACK THE COAT, HOLDS IT FOR HER) Here, now take a cab and you'll be fine.

LIZ

Frankly, Mandy, I'm not sure I want to keep the appointment.

AMANDA

Why? Isn't it important to you?

LIZ

(BEAT) I really don't know whether it has any value for me or not. (BEAT) I really don't know. (MAKES HER DECISION) Well, at least it's a nice day to get out in the fresh air -- so sure, I'll go.

TAKE HER. TAKE AMANDA, PUZZLED. AND TAKE IT OUT.

ACT V

BOB'S OFFICE. MORNING. BOB AND DAVID ARE GOING THROUGH A STACK OF MEDICAL HISTORY FOLDERS ON THE DESK. BOB LOOKS VERY TIRED.

DAVID

... Dr. Dixon has offered to look out for all of Dr. Shea's office patients until other arrangements are made. He's familiar with many of them anyhow.

BOB

(INDICATING A GROUP OF FOLDERS) Fine. And I'll take over this batch -- A through G. (A GRIM SMILE) A pretty cold-blooded way for a doctor to parcel out responsibility for a lot of human lives, isn't it? Alphabetically.

DAVID

Why not? If a patient is lucky and keeps getting the right doctor, he could live forever. (INDICATING ANOTHER GROUP OF FOLDERS) I'll take these -- H through R.

BOB

You know, David, I wonder how the patients feel when the doctor they've always believed in and counted on turns out to be just as mortal -- and weak and vulnerable -- as they are.

DAVID

If you're asking me what they're going to think about Dr. Shea's murder --

BOB

That's exactly what I'm asking you.

DAVID

Well, I'm sure they're going to be quite upset and disillusioned, more than if he had died a -- more conventional death. It will have a depressing effect on morale here in the hospital and we may even lose a few patients. But --

BOB

But?

DAVID

In a couple of months it will all be forgotten and everything will be back to normal, because deep down, the patients knew all the time that doctors die just like everyone else. They just didn't want to admit it. It's simply a matter of -- (THE TELEPHONE RINGS. BOB PICKS IT UP, ANSWERS)

BOB

Dr. Hughes... Oh? ... Miss Thompson? How long ago? All right, put in a call for the emergency oxygen equipment, I'll be right down. (HANGS UP, STARTS TO EXIT. IN HIS FATIGUE, HE TRIPS, ALMOST FALLS, RECOVERS)

DAVID

(HELPS HIM) Bob, you haven't had any sleep since -- Shea was killed. Go home and get to bed, I'll follow up with your patient.

BOB

Thanks, David -- but no. Miss Thompson is my patient. I have to follow up with her myself.

DAVID

I'm a pretty good doctor.

BOB

(GRINS) Would you let me do it for you -- even if you were twice as tired as I am?

DAVID

(BEAT, THEN GRINS) Come on, Doctor -- I'll help you in case you try to fall down again.

TAKE THEM AS THEY EXIT.

DISSOLVE TO:

MISS THOMPSON'S HOSPITAL ROOM. A COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER. MISS THOMPSON IS IN BED, BREATHING HEAVILY. BOB STANDS BESIDE HER, LISTENING THROUGH HIS STETHOSCOPE, DAVID NEARBY.

DAVID

What do you think?

BOB

I don't know -- it's strange. She's terminal -- and she knew it. But for weeks she's been fighting to stay alive, as though she had some unfinished business in life. (BEAT) But now she seems different -- I almost feel that she's somehow reached her goal and has no more reason to keep on fighting.

TAKE MISS THOMPSON. TAKE BOB. AND TAKE IT OUT.

• Members

What was this story with Miss Thompson?

I don't know a lot about Amanda either.

I know Irna wasn't praised for her dialogue writing, but that Claire/Judge Lowell conversation took me aback. Talk about stilted. Then you could tell they were trying to get the "hip" dialogue in through Donald. Generally Don seems like a very complex character but one who was left on the sidelines or turned into a stooge in later years.

The Liz/Amanda conversation probably interested me the most, and felt the most "real" (especially the part about whether or not to call).