OLTL: Discussion for the week August 30

• Members

I really hope that Tea isn't dead--she's my favorite character.

I don't like Blair too much, but I will concede that I've recognized how Todd/Tea/Blair was meant to end: a polygamous marriage. I think they should all be together. If Tea comes back I hope she proposed to Blair and works to convince Todd and Blair to agree to it.

That story could stay interesting, and avoid burn-out, for years. It could become a signature element of the show (the polygamous stars) like the mob is to GH. Could you imagine Blair and Tea both being pregnant at the same time with Todd's babies?

It would also give them both a permanent link to TSJ's character if Roger Howarth does come back (although I realize that Blair is Sam's adopted mother, which wouldn't change).

Now with regards to a possible return of Roger Howarth--here are my thoughts. First of all, I'm against it--I like TSJ in the role. Second, it would be a pretty amazing story, which could drive the show for years.

Third, it's worth remembering that the Tale of two Romans was a disaster. Accepting John as not Roman may seem common now, but at the time the fans HATED IT. And once the initial story was over, the ratings tanked in 1992 (although converting J&J into the Ricky&Lucy of daytime didn't help either. Then again, that seems like their natural role at this point too, but at the time it wrecked the show). The worst part of John being Roman was watching his children be cruelly ripped apart from him, while everyone acted like it was no big deal. And RoJohn's relationship with Carrie was a big part of the show--watching her with RealRoman was almost painful. The most popular Roman/Carrie scenes--by far--were in 1993 when Carrie hated him (after he threatened to send Austin to prison unless she broke up with him) and she started calling him "Roman."

Fourth, to be honest though, what didn't work on DAYS might work much better on OLTL with a Tale of two Todds. It's possible that all those cringe-worthy moments from DAYS would play out differently on OLTL, especially since Todd and Roman are such different characters. I also suspect that it would be much better written, especially with regards to the children. Also, both Todds would have relationships with Tea and Blair, while RealRoman had no connection to Isabella (and John/Marlena were largely separated on the canvas for much of 1992).

Fifth, the dynamic with Marty would be unbelievable. How do you describe what happened with TSJ/Todd and Marty? Was it still as disgusting? Would she still hate him? Would there be any potential there? How would real Todd interact with her upon returning? Which Todd would she have a better relationship with? (I could actually see it being RH's real Todd).

So I can't deny that the idea has it's merits. But I'd still rather skip it. I would much prefer to see them do the Big Love on daytime. Unlike the Sopranos, which I never watched, I absolutely LOVE the Big Love--it's one of my favorite shows of all time. I'd enjoy seeing OLTL do a knock-off of that on daytime, minus the Mormon fundamentalism. And they can only do that if there is only one Todd.

Steve

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The actor took 2 months off to do something else I forgot what it was. Markko went to film school in LA. Hes returning to OLTL and Llanview the end of this month. I really dont know why hes coming back at all. He'll be backburned or used to prop Langston.

Archived