OLTL: Actress no longer on contract (again?)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never liked her and thought she should have left a long time ago as Layla never served a purpose outside of Eva's little sister, which never really went anywhere especially after she was put in a coma. With that said I found her video classy and I liked how positive she was and didnt bash or take any subtle jabs at OLTL. Good move on her part bc I know some others would (and have) done the opposite. Made her seem better as a person

• Members

How does one choose to go on recurring? Either they didnt want to renew her contract or her 13 week cycle isn up and they said either we will release you or you can go on recurring? She is beautiful in thast video but she also seems very sad, her voice cracked a couple of times, and she stated they had no story for Layla, so if it was her choice, sounds like she really had no choice, sounded more like a goodbye speech to me, wish her good luck though.

• Members

I don't know how it all went down, but my guess is this:

Tika, like us, realized that as long as she wasn't playing a Buchanan sister, Layla, a teenager, or shirtless manwhore, TPTB really weren't going to be invested in her or her character, so she politely asked to be let out of her contract. They, not feeling any need for her to stay, let her go and told her, as she walked out the room, that she "might still come back on recurring every now and then."

• Members

The woman said she chose on recurring. Why all the conjecture? Do you really think she would make up a story just for OLTL?

Anyway, I love her and thinks she great I know that she will do well with whatever she does.

• Members

Exactly. I don't see any need to doubt her version of events. Like the rest of us, Tika could read the tea leaves. She could have squandered more of her youth and career getting bit work on the show. I admire her for taking such a career risk in this economy, especially as an African American actress. I wish her luck.

• Members

I don't know how much clearer she could be. Thanks to that video we get to hear it directly from her. This was her choice. She could've said nothing and let the ABC spin machine do its thing or let Nelson put her business out in the street with his typical bitchy twist but instead she was proactive and took control of the how to tell people. I see no reason she wouldn't do the same with the rest of her career.

• Members

Agree completely with marceline and Ann_SS, why are people always trying to come up with conspiracy theories? Tika wanted to leave, so she did, just because she was a black actress she couldn't leave on her own??? :wacko:

• Members

and Tracy Bregman is still recurring on Y&R after all these years and Andrea Evans was recurrign throughout her time on Passions. Some people prefer this. For Tika, OLTL was a dead end career and merely something to pay the bills. She's 33 and after 5 years on this show, she knew they were NEVER going to do anything with her. She's not old but she's up there in age and it gets harder to find work as time goes on. She at least looks good enough that she can pass for someone in her early 20s so she still has a bit of versatility as far as auditioning for a wider range of roles. A few years from now, she'll be stuck to playing the mother and the aunt of teh younger actresses who get the stories and work

• Members

I don't think its a race thing. Some people never understand that some people make the choice to leave. They leave jobs, marriages, move away from family because they believe in taking a chance. People who don't take those kinds of chances don't understand the ones that do. This is the same as it was for Amanda Setton. She chose to walk away and take her chances but a lot of people didn't get why she would do that when Kim was so popular. But after five years Tika didn't get what AS got in a few months or what FF, MA or BW have been getting for years. The real question for me is why does anyone think she wouldn't leave on her own?

• Members

I have just seen alot of people saying that Frons or whoever forced her out like she couldn't leave on her own, and turning it into some big conspiracy. They had many chances to do something with Layla, but continued to ignore her in favor of Gigi, Jessica, and whoever else. I wish she was staying around, but I know that wouldn't be fair to Tika, and I will continue to wish her the best in all of her future endeavors.

Archived