ATWT July 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

I liked Hogan, don't get me wrong, but I do agree that JP's first year was just great. To this day, the Jenn/Gwen baby switch remains my favorite baby switch of all-time. I felt that it was very well-plotted & roped in different characters & stories. For me, it was flawless and was the last time ATWT was truly GREAT! Until mid-2009 that is.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA. He definitely left a bad taste after some of those scenes. I'm sure it's weird playing an aggressive/pissed/serious Henry, though, so I'll give him a pass on that one.

I liked the baby switch a lot (wasn't my favorite, no), and there were also some other stories that I liked then. Some were out there and eyerolly, but hey, what can I say? Something about that era appealed to me. Carly stripping with Char, I liked. Molly attacking strange men on location, not so much. Gwen/Will/Jade, I liked. Parker/Liberty/Gabe/whoever else is involved there, not so much. Luke/Kevin, I liked. Luke/Noah, not so much. Lily and Holden still being a couple in love, I liked. This crap with Craig and Molly, not so much.

And plus, the older vets were used much more then than they are now. Lisa had a lot more to do then that she's had in the last couple of years.

• Members

Wait--according to SON, Hogan was associate HW through Aug 2006. Pissy may have plotted parts of it better, but it had to be thought out before Hogan's break.

As The World Turns

- Associate Head Writer (October 25, 2005 - August 9, 2006)

- Head Writer (August 2000 - May 24, 2005) *

• Members

I would not be surprised if the baby switch and its aftermath was Hogan. I didn't like it, but it felt like something that Hogan would write. I always thought that Goutman and Passanante used Hogan's stories for months after he left.

I hate that serial killer story. I liked Luke and Kevin so of course, Goutman and Passanante had to ruin it and get rid of Kevin. Everything those people touch turn to [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

Wiki states that Hogan was a breakdown writer from October 25, 2005 to August 9, 2006. I bet it isn't a coincidence that this is the period that Passanante is getting praised for this exact period of time. I can't believe that Goutman and Passanante weren't picking Hogan's brain for help as the stories unfolded.

• Members

I wasn't a fan of the serial killer storyline too but the ratings were high. Luke and Kevin were the IT couple. Things could have gotten even better had they made them a couple and had Reid come along. Talk about a triangle.

• Members

I thought that Luke and Kevin could be an IT couple, but instead of making Kevin gay, Passanante and Goutman bailed and ditched Kevin. In other words, as usual when it comes to them epic fail. I also don't think that there was any way that a character as well drawn as Reid would exist and an actor as good as ESS would be cast in the role under Goutman and Passanante. However, I agree that Reid/Luke/Kevin would have been interesting.

• Members

The problem with Luke and Kevin is they were never a couple so they never faced any of the backlash or scrutiny that a gay couple would have faced. Not to mention that far more attention would have been devoted to Kevin being a homophobe or self-loathing or whatever than to any actual relationship, which would make the story unbalanced. ATWT hasn't done a very good job writing for Luke/Reid or Luke/Noah, so I would be surprised if things were any different for Luke/Kevin.

Most of the stories which got attention at that time don't seem to me like Hogan's types of stories that he did at ATWT, Y&R, or DAYS, aside from the crap with Keith being some kind of illegal organ dealer, which does seem like something he would have done with his hot tub Salem "teens" or with one of his evil dopplegangers in Genoa City.

• Members

I don't agree at all. The stories that people are saying that they loved during Passanante's first year seem very Hogan-like and I can't buy that he had no input. I know you hate Hogan and btw, I actually think that these stories were crap, but his fingerprints are all over them. Craig running Rosanna off the road and switching the babies is pure Hogan. It was like when Craig had Lucy kidnapped because he needed money. Hogan would always go too far with Craig. Then there was Paul keeping silent and convincing Emily to do the same. Paul going over the top was also Hogan. The serial killer story with Henry's sister was only slightly different from Hogan's serial killer story with Rick Decker which I did love. I can't speak for Days and Y&R, but on ATWT Hogan had a tendency to redo stories, but with a twist Like when the serious Lily/Simon on the island didn't work, he redid it with Katie, Henry and Coony with a humorous twist. Once Hogan left and Passanante and Goutman were on their own, the stories began to fall apart completely.

• Members

I guess I thought that people didn't love the part with Craig running Rosanna off the road (which was just lazy, stupid writing), I thought people meant they enjoyed other moments in the story, like the buildup, or the umbrella nature of the story, which were much closer to old school ATWT than anything when Hogan was writing.

It's hard for me to say because I saw Hogan's ATWT as a vile, soulless place, where his pets smirked and mugged over the latest stunt that would be forgotten when the next one was coming down the pike. I thought some of the better moments of the baby switch were the human moments, especially with Gwen, which have been anathema to most of his soaps. I guess he could have come up with the idea. Both he and Passanante are such lousy writers I don't know who to credit for any story success.

• Members

TD was great today!

Eee Willen :wub:

I cannot believe Katie defended and felt sorry for Vienna, and even bringing up Brad. Brad wouldn't have been to happy with how she helped Vienna <_<

I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually like Katie & Chris together

Today's show was good all around

Archived