Rue McClanahan dies

lovely_m

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always thought that Bea Arthur was the oldest and Betty the youngest, but then I read that Rue was the youngest. Even though it's not surprising that they would start to die it is sad that Betty is the only one left.

• Members

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen Rue. Blanche Deveraux was one of a kind and nobody else could have played her.

Richard: Did that champagne kick in, yet?

Blanche Devereaux: No... but if you're ready to make your move... I can pretend it did.

• Members

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

I can't believe there's only one Golden Girl left. :( My family tells stories of me at 4 years old, watching GG and laughing at the punchline before the laugh track. These women and this show have been a part of my life for that long. They have never failed to make me laugh, either. It's like a part of my childhood dies with them. :(

RIP Rue, thank you so much! You will never be forgotten.

This might be one of my favorite Blanche scenes, LMAO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCg1cgEpVQ

• Members

I can't believe how quickly most of the Golden Girls have gone. Only a few years ago they were all healthy.

Rue was superb as Blanche, but I also enjoyed her as fussy Aunt Fran on Mama's Family (I probably enjoyed that role more than Rue did).

And of course she was the nanny who poisoned Pat Randolph on AW. I always remember that because of the story Rue told, where she not only received a positive response from viewers for her actions, but she actually received a letter which basically said, "You're not doing it right. This is how I did it," and gave her detailed instructions! Rue was never ashamed of her soap work -- just the opposite.

Rue was also in one of the first gay-themed films in the US, Some of My Best Friends Are. And she spent years fighting for better and safer treatment of animals.

Sitcoms are so lousy these days, due in part to the absence of talent like Rue. What a legacy she's leaving.

• Members

:lol: That one was on yesterday. I caught it in the morning and last night. Actually, I think it was just one of the clip shows that they did, and one of the clips was from that episode.

Rue was so hilarious. I love the one where Rebecca comes and announces her plans to get pregnant through artificial insemination, and of course, Blanche is just shocked that anyone would want to get pregnant without really working for it. "A sperm bank. A apeeeeeerm baaaank."

• Members

Found it on Oh No They Didn't! I *had* to have it. It sums up everything that Rue infused into Blanche Devereux.

One of my favorite GG episodes:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqAJIvbnkZg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqAJIvbnkZg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqAJIvbnkZg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived