OLTL: Discussion for the week May 10

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a huge musical theatre nut, but this episode made Glee look like a Sondheim show staged by Bob Fosse. That said... I'll agree with some here, if the first episode was anything to go by, it was FAR FAR better done than the 2007 musical which I found pretty much abysmal (I kinda enjoyed Marcie's campy number). I hate "jukebox" musicals where they shove songs the audience knows by heart awkwardly into a story, but the songs in 2007 were DIRE, so I think this was prob a smart direction for the show to go in. The new theme song or whatever, did sound like a bad take on Ne Yo (and I couldn't make out half the lyrics--which is not a good thing in a musical) but still seemed better than anything they did in 2007. (Could they hire a decent choreographer--not just have kids jumping around willy nilly and sliding down ramps?)

More criticisms :P the beauty shop routine was a mess, and I thought the song Blair sang (is this a new song? I'd never heard it before) was awful, though I appreciated the sentiment behind it (she shoulda pulled a Mamma Mia and sang ABBA's Slipping Through My Fingers), and I agree that as much as I adore Mark L, there was some tiny spark missing when he sang--I think maybe he was just trying a little TOO hard. That said, I have to say the hour flew by and I was surprised how much I actually did enjoy some of the musical moments.

• Members

You know, I realize it's futile to criticize the songwriting of a beloved TV theme song, but I never realized before what craptastic lyrics the song has. Not just cheezy but not ONE single line rhymes. With/live isn't a rhyme--Cole Porter should be rolling in his grave...

• Members

Ha that was Jean Passanante's doing who's soon to join OLTL ;) I agree AMC hasn't had a decent teen scene in a decade, with a few brief exceptions--I'm in the minority but I'm actually liking the Colby/Damon stuff now cuz of it.

I was thinking the same thing about Darren. OK this musical is meant to be about the Cole/Star romance with a side story of Marko/Langston? So umm... If Darren is shown as one of the main characters in the musical, what the [!@#$%^&*] role is he meant to play? I don't remember the wisecracking third wheel...

• Members

I remember years ago when I watched OLTL my mother would lament "how did I raise such a moron???" and she only wanted to know "so what I am supposed to do when I don't find the rainbow's end? He says 'Here's what to do' and then he doesn't tell you what to do. What kind of shmuck song is this??? Then again, everyone on this show is a shmuck so this song fits right in!" :lol:

• Members

Well yes, lol, but if more people tune out cuz of a cheezy teen based musical than tune in, it's not a very good sweeps ;)

LOL you had an awesome mom. (though honestly I've had the same thought--maybe there's a full lyric for the song somewhere and he tells you in verse two :P )

• Members

Overall I didn't think that the show was bad. The hair salon number, the star crossed lovers number, and the We belong to the night number were GREAT.

It felt WRONG watching a musical show without Marcie though, In the past she has always been the highlight of them for me.. :(

Overall I thought it was very good, and I will be watching Monday and Tuesday as well...And I haven't watched the show in weeks.

Archived