OLTL: Discussion for the week May 10

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothing can top the hair salon number for me, I have been watching it over and over all day. It was SO cute, and probably the first time I have enjoyed anything involving Dani.

Im not even really looking forward to much else probably Layla/Starr/Langston doing Battlefield and the I Gotta Feeling number. But yeah, the musical isnt as bad as I thought it would be, a nice little break from Coma Cop, Gigi, and Rex, and most importantly Todd :)

• Members

There are in fact more lyrics to Peabo's Theme (get it, like "Nadia's Theme"? ::whomp whomp:: :P ) Uh, but yeah, I don't know if he ever really tells you what to do with all that stuff. Let me go YouTube it...

• Members

I maybe overanalyzing but I think she was the assistant because of her hairstyle. She has weave in her head, which isnt really something that needs fixing for the prom, the other girls of course didnt, but I maybe wrong because Im clueless when it comes to women's hair. :lol:

But Destiny looked great in her outfit.

• Members

Yeah, he's pretty much selling hope. Here's what to do? Go to bed and wake up tomorrow and try again, oh, and just find comfort in my loving eyes. ;)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/rG0o3xxAkcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/rG0o3xxAkcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/rG0o3xxAkcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

God, I love Peabo's voice. And Eric, I can forgive the free verse. :P

time/cry

you/true

last/ask

with/live

• Members

I always figured that what you do when you don't find the rainbow's end (this time) is receive tomorrow from Peabo, but it only works if you let him be the one you share it with (do do DO doooo). You also have to share each day that follows with him too, cause, like...you kinda only have one life to live (unless you have DID, then you have an indefinite amount).

• Members

OMG, there's a funny Roxie line about doing weave in there somewhere. If they ever did a scene with Roxie sewing weave in Destiny's head I would just die! She'd get so many points across the nation for that one. :lol: Actually, it would be really cute if Roxie was doing Dorian's and Destiny's weaves at the same time, a cute bonding moment. :P

I agree, Destiny looked great in the fantasy sequence!

• Members

"Here's what you do when you don't find the rainbow's end,

This time...

Here's where you go when it looks like the rain won't end,

Don't cry...

There's always tomorrow

Where you can have a second chance

And after tomorrow

All that you have to remember

He's what you do when you think nobody cares, for you

Look in my eyes and you'll see there's answer there, it's true

We'll find tomorrow, a place for us, I know because

Time only knows how long forever's gonna last

And we don't even need to ask

Let's live today and find someone to share it with

'Cause we only have One Life to Live.

I'll give you tomorrow

Just let me be the one you share it with

And each day that follows

'Cause we only have One Life to Live."

• Members

While I like aspects of this tacky mess, what I find really up-its-own-ass about the whole thing is the continuous mythologizing of Starr and Cole as the ultimate couple, something I'm sure Brian Frons is all over since he started all that. Let's be real here. You have one young actress dragged down to the level of one mediocre young quasi-hunk who was never that great, and together they're pushed to the frontburner in a series of contrived stories they can't really carry, and apparently that's all you need to claim they are the next Lily and Holden. The show clearly knows Brandon Buddy can only handle so much, so they have never bothered fleshing his character out or making him nearly as unique, idiosyncratic or visceral a personality as Marty or heck, even Patrick. Instead he is just a bland "hunk" who is not actually that much of a major-league hunk, really. He's average in every way, but they act like he is God's gift and the second coming of Lucky Spencer.

But if that was all, that'd be one thing - in the last decade, I've seen a dozen sham teen couples claiming to be the next summer superstars. At this point, no big thing, same old [!@#$%^&*]. The problem, then, is that OLTL has, over the years and especially now, taken great pains to explain to us in detail how Starr and Cole are the most incredible, passionate, exciting young couple ever, an example to all in Llanview before or after; in fact, they are so important and amazing that on the show, characters must devote a three-day musical to their epic love (one which would never get past the PTA or the school administration, but never mind). For OLTL to fix an entire stage show around Starr and Cole's "epic story" that only started a couple years ago is so self-congratulatory and delusional. Meanwhile, everyone else on the show is encouraged to go back to their first/"greatest" loves just like Starr and Cole. Natalie is shoved back towards old-ass John while Jared is still cooling in the ground, Jessica's antics are meant to be seen as delightful and fun, and who knows whether Crayla will really make it though I sure hope so. You know what, though, OLTL, Starr and Cole are not all that. They do not bring the ratings, they are not terribly interesting, and they do not deserve two whole musicals.

This year's musical could have been instantly improved if they'd done something far more realistic - have Langston instead base her tale off one of OLTL's classic couples from years past, be it Viki and Joe, or Jake and Megan, even Marty and Patrick, or perhaps several of these couples at once - you could toss in Cord and Tina, or Max and Luna. And then let the youngsters assume those roles. That would be a celebration of all the eras OLTL has to offer, and would draw our vets into the story organically, and that wouldn't be a story where we're expected to believe the Llanview High staff has signed off on a big show all about several current students, their out-of-wedlock baby, and their rapist/rape victim parents.

Archived