ATWT: Jean Passanante's comments about Reid and his relationship with Luke

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you kidding me? Reid isn't being written anything like little fraidy-gay Noah. The two characters, as written, could hardly be more different. Reid knows what he wants and goes after it. Noah wants to hide out in his "My Daddy Will Hate Me If I'm Gay" closet, even going so far as dating girls. And any time Luke wants to get close to him, Noah comes up with some pussified excuse.

Not "the same writing" in the least.

• Members

Which tends to make me suspect Noah of being more "bi-curious" than actually "gay." He just can't bring himself to do the right thing where Luke's concerned, b/c he's too much of a chickenshit.

• Members

Did I say it was an acting issue, lol? As I mentioned upthread, I thought Jon Hensley was horrible back in the day as Holden; yet, Doug Marland kept me intrigued as to what would happen next with him and Lily. Good writing, IMO, can always make bad acting tolerable.

• Members
Actually, yes you did, when you agreed with Ruxton Hills, who said that Eric and Jake were given the same writing, and that Eric somehow was able to rise above it and Jake was not.

EDIT: I may have made a mistake, Khan. I thought you were agreeing with Ruxton when he said "Agreed!! Look at Eric Stevens!! He is getting the same writing but the guy can act!!" You said "My sentiments, exactly, Rux."

However, I hadn't seen Ruxton's next comment, "Let's hope so but I have a bad feeling that we will get a Nuke ending. Sigh.......," when I responded with my comments above.

I guess it was the second comment that mirrored your sentiments. So very sorry.

• Members

I totally agree.

They've given Reid more character in a couple of months than they've done with Noah in almost three years. It shows that they can make an interesting character, but at the time, that was definitely not their main priority. Their main priority with Noah was and always will be NUKE! and making sure they are pleasing the Nuke fanbase GLAAD, and whoever else. The Maddie/Noah/Luke "triangle" could have been a triangle with no quotation marks had their intent been to tell a good damn story and not try to throw these two gayboys together to the publicity from it and keep the fans watching/talking unconditionally. But no, they had to go and open their big mouths and tell the whole world that Noah was for Luke, and so you had people complaining that Luke and Noah didn't become a full-blown couple on Noah's first air date. And much worse, you had people fanwanking their brains out, trying to convince others, "Oh, Luke was mean to Noah when they first met because he instantly fell in love with him the second he laid eyes on him, and he didn't want to fall in love with another straight guy, so he had to pretend to not like Noah blah blah blah f a n w a n kkkkkkk."

Of course, this is not to say that Silbermann can step up to the plate whenever he's called to bat. Because noooo. There are some parts of Noah's character that were filled in nicely, such as his relationship with his father. When it was time for Noah to mourn his "death," I couldn't stop laughing.

Archived