AMC: Tuesday April 20, 2010

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was away from my computer for a few days and couldn't sign in, but what a nice tribute. Just seeing Daisy and Nina again was good enough for me--and reminded me of all the great times of AMC and Palmer back when he was a huge presence on the show--but it was Dixie who brought a lump to my throat. I wish there was some way to keep Nina on as chief Cortlandt and therefore allow Daisy to recur. Anyway, Palmer was the best, James Mitchell was the best, and I am glad the show gave him a nice send off. I wish they devoted two episodes to this so they could have shown more clips and included Donna, Cynthia, Natalie and Vanessa, Ross, Julie, Will, more Daisy and Myra and Sloan. But Daisy and Nina were the most important.

• Members

From Peter Bergman at TV Guide Magazine website:

Totally off topic, but how did you feel about the farewell to Palmer [the late James Mitchell] on All My Children? It’s too bad your former character, Cliff, wasn’t among the returnees.

I would love to have been there! Those were wonderful, formative years for me. James was a close, personal friend who stayed in touch with me in the worst of times, after I was fired from the show. I will never forget the night of my first Emmy Award [for Y&R]. My category was the second-to-last of the evening, so by the time I finally came out of the press room all my Y&R castmates had left the building. They were off to the party! I couldn’t blame them, because the ceremony had gone on forever, but it was a bit of a letdown. Then I noticed that two people had indeed stayed around backstage and waited for me—James and Gillian Spencer [AMC’s Daisy]! And I still have a picture of the three of us from that night, sitting right on my piano. I will never forget that kindness. So, yes, I would have loved to have gone back to AMC for the memorial. I ached to be there.

• Members

How sweet! This is the type of story that shows you the true character of a person, away from the cameras and the press and the backstage politics.

As an aside, I like the fact that Bergman said "after I was fired" instead of "after I left." Don't sugarcoat it. AMC messed up.

Archived