Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

• Members

This new cast of NYC just isn’t holding my attention, which bums me out as they looked so good on paper. I thought perhaps the women had stronger friendships and bonds, but turns out they don’t? We see them bonding and getting to know each other but not really interacting much with the city, which is a huge missed opportunity. NYC isn’t really a character on the show in the way it should be (or maybe this series is an admission that NYC is well and truly dead). They also lack a strong supporting cast. It just feels… slight.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cheap21

• NothinButAttitude

• Cat

• Taoboi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

RHONY:

Erin thinks very highly of herself though I do admit she does seem to take pride in her work.. but she thinks she knows all... probably the reason she and Jessel don't seem to vibe well together.

Brynn's boo hoo story was very effective with some on Twitter thinking they misjudged her, but she's the type of person that you don't trust with anything.

Ubah's segment was so sad, and I'm glad we finally got to know her a bit better.  So far she's way more likable than her entitled witch of a cousin Aylan (who lacks personality).

Jenna.. a little pot stirring and claiming 'old age' when the producer questioned her on why she did the pot stirring LOL 

Sai's hubby is a keeper

• Members

I am really enjoying nuRHONY despite myself. But I get why @Faulkner you feel it is too slight. This last episode was not strongly anchored, while the past few epis have had sonething of a direction. Also you are right about NYC not being a central character-- yet. I have hope that the season will shift beyond complaints about heating and lingerie and Erin looking for a petty rivalry. The show thus far is a bit stronger than the early episodes of RHODubai were -- my god, if you thought nuRHONY has been slight, S1 Dubai was paper-thin! But it had a very good, but not too toxic, reunion which has nicely segued it for S2. NuRHONY better start building its foundations during this season.

This nuRHONY episode, I liked Brynn talking about growing up biracial, and Erin showing us her work. I also am thinking Jessel is starting to not be afraid of being oblivious and rude. That may not be a bad thing for the show (!), unless she goes too far and becomes toxic or deeply annoying. 

• Members

Next week preview had Jessel making an error by calling Tribeca up and coming...and Erin basically in her talking head is saying 'yeah, you don't know New York' in a dismissive tone. Shades of Ramona/Luann about Alex season 1

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

RHOA

Well, I finally made it through those Portgual episodes it seem. I'll say RHOP's trip there was more intersting to me than this one. All I came away from it with was...

1) Drew vs ShebySheree is the gift that keeps giving. I was sure that Drew was starting to feel the Ralph drama coming and feeling it since she has her own brand of delusion that is similar to Sheree's own. However, I actually thought when Drew stormed outside crying that Sheree was trying to make an effort to get through to her. Sad that Drew was too sensitive. 

2) DARRRRNNNNN they really don't have anything going on without Kandi or Kenya around, do they? Kenya got hurt and Kandi went with her. Instead of enjoying the country, there was Sanya, Marlo, Sheree, and Courtney Wannabe doing nothing about talking about Kenya and Kandi non-stop. I did like that Sheree did a little pot stirring with Drew re: Kandi, but that was about it.

And now we have to bring up BOLO for drama. BOLO FROM TWO YEARS AGO...le sigh.

It was sad really. Because I felt like the potential is there. Coming off the trip, there are so many feuds. Looks like Kandi and Drew might get into it. Marlo is always up to get into it with anyone. And Courtney Wannabe coming for Kenya...but this Production for me ain't it. What works for RHOP I am seeing is not at all working for RHOA. 

Just a few notes...

KENYA. I like seeing her happy with Brooklyn. That said...perhaps a rivalry with Wannabe is the way to go. At this point, Kenya's clearly over Marlo. And not even Marlo knowing Roi got barely a reaction out of Kenya. She is clearly done with her. But Wannabe...with her attempts to be relevant on the show (and now social media)...might be the thing to bring out the Kenya who likes to play.

KANDI. I like Activated Kandi. And she's been that way most of the season. It does seem weird to see everyone come for her. But she has decent backup and has been giving it back. And still has a hint of messy to her with this Bolo stuff. So I expect to see more.

SANYA. You know what? I kinda wish she would lean into her family drama more. The abruptness of her brother and sister leaving and her sister being shady toward her. Could there be more there than what we are seeing? Hmmm. Definitely a better route to go than her weak attempts to come for anyone...at least until Kandi gets her lickback.

SHEREE. Montel who? lol. That's how I felt when he (finally) called her on the trip. I had forgotten all about him. Outside of her shady confessionals toward Kandi and the too-brief flashes of last season's Drew/Sheree rivalry, she really has nothing going on. Thankfully, she started to pot stir between Drew and Kandi, but I just expect more from Sheree.

MARLO. Now that scene where Production tried to put Kenya/Kandi in a bad light...NO. I cannot believe how much they are trying to give Marlo the Porsha edit. I didn't like it with Porsha...and Porsha definitely was better than Marlo in that regard. I cannot. BUT...I can't say Marlo isn't giving something. Dating. Trying to feud with Kenya still. And her main target...Kandi.

DREW. Drew, Drew, Drew. While drama with Kandi carried the first part of the season, it seems drama with Drew will carry the second half. Her rivalry with ShebySheree. The issues with Marlo. Sanya always trying to be relevant. And now...the Bolo/Latoya stuff. And I've been enjoying seeing the cracks in her marriage with Tampa Ralph being exposed slooooowwwwly. And still giving us real life stuff as well. It's been nice to watch.

And speaking of Latoya...look who's back!!!

I am ready for the reunion, though I felt they taped it too soon. They should have waited for more of the Drew divorce to hit the sheet IMHO. 

• Members

I think you just hit the nail on the head re: RHOA. This is the same production team as RHOP, and the team is being very lazy and falling back on RHOP's usual tropes of gossip about a marriage, with the added twist of girl-on-girl action, reheated three years ago.

Drew's SL by rights should actually have been Porsha's last season, so they have templated it onto her.

I honestly don't think we will see the Drew-Ralph marriage fallout play out on screen. It's going to be behind closed doors. Drew is just too tightly wound about her image to let the cameras in and be authentic and vulnerable. Too bad, because Ralph, for all his faults, makes me laugh. There's just something about him, a twinkle in his eye, which lifts the heaviness of any scene.

ITA that production is a big problem for this show. Production is lazy and doing this by numbers. Whatever you think of him, on RHOA Carlos King ran a tight ship and got access and real content from the women. The cast chemistry ain't there either, but a lot of problems would be fixed by getting a better production crew in. If not CK, than the Peacock people who relaunched Miami. I mean, Alexia's second husband died of a heart attack in bed with his male lover, and we got that from her verbatim!

Kandi is doing what she can with reheated Bolo Time, but it is what it is. 

Kenya is not giving, and when she slipped in Portugal, it took the women on the bus 5 minutes to go see why she wasn't getting up. Which says it all about how beloved she is by her work colleagues.

• Members

^

I've been saying this for the longest. Production is the issue. It isn't the cast. We saw last year that this cast can deliver when necessary. They are doing it at times this year; however, production is pushing them to do dumb sh*t they did in the past. The only change I'd make to the cast is getting rid of 1 or 2 of the Marlo/Sheree/Sanya crew (most likely, I'd get rid of Sheree again at this point) and bring on 2 new women along with Porsha being brought back. But production needs to be fired. 

• Members

But, but, what about all those awesome camera angles and moody music when someone is walking up a curb, grabbing a vending machine item at the hotel, or making their way out of the bathroom? 

LOL. I kid. But in all seriousness, if they wish to hold on to their roots (versus doing a total reboot a la NYC), I'd keep Sheree around. I'm sure she [still] needs the money anyhow. 

I don't know if I already brought this up weeks back when Courtney (aka Wannabe © @Taoboi) debuted, but one of my hubby's clients is from Atlanta and knows Courtney through her former marriage. And she confirmed that she is by no means related to Ralph; it's just a schtick for the show. 

Re: NuRHONY. We're still at the beginning of episode 3, with Ubah and Brynn both playfully vying for the hot trainer's attention. The show is decent, but it's not popping for me the way Salt Lake City did.  Now granted, SLC also imploded faster than any Housewives show in history, but their first season they came out hot 'n bothered. 

• Members

@Gray Bunny, I think that by SLC coming in so hot, so fast, they burned out just as quickly. Season 3 was one of the worst seasons EVER in the entire franchise. 

Regarding RHOA, Sheree might need the money but she adds nothing, so in the end, she needs to either go or be downgraded to a well-paid friend of the show. The only reason I am suggesting keeping Sanya and MarHo at this point is b/c I want to see Sanya in the hot seat for a season, and MarHo at least falls into the villain role. Production needs to tell her ass to pull it back. 

• Members

Carlos King's podcast recently revealed that production told Heather Gay not to reveal what happened to her black eye. They shot themselves in the foot and made one of their breakout stars look like a damn fool. 

Oh yeah, I agree on the burnout. The entire cast were doing too much after their newfound fame hit at the end of season one. It was hard to keep track of who hated who and why. 

Re: Atlanta. If Cynthia Bailey is spending more time back in the ATL, give her a peach. And Porsha, for all the favoritism and whatnot, brought something to the show that has yet to be recaptured. They should either go heavy on returning vets or cut their losses on every single current castmember and start fresh with a brand new perspective. Otherwise, the newbies they've scrounged up as of late are Drew, Sanya, Latoya, and Courtney... A real winning team there. 

• Members

Exactly @Gray Bunny!! How does one solve a problem like ShebySheree?

Part of what made her return in Season 8 great was the fact that she picked a lane and ran with it. She was the Bone Collector, got along with just about everyone while shading them, and gave fun feuding with her level of delusions. And she...COULD...read. 

i wish she would leave into that or even her early persona of villain. At least for all her silliness, fans are still on her side (or laughing at her). 

Oh, that was already out there, Boo.

Please register in order to view this content

Part of the reason I skipped last season's reunion. 

I agree. After all the backtalking and flip-flopping I would LOVE to see Sanya in the hot seat. Especially if it turns out her sister spills some tea on her. Cuz there is just some tension there I want to see explored. 

I don't mind Marlo as villain, but Production needs to stop trying to edit her as the victim and let her be a villain and get rightfully dragged for it. And even better...Marlo OWNING IT. 

Hehe. She's not???? smh. This Production...

Yes, about Production. While I feel that last season was transitional, the cast was giving last season. I thought it was an inspired idea this season that everyone came for Kandi. Something different, unexpected, and fresh, but it has since stalled. And I thought the group in groups a la Team Smalls/Team Talls, Team Pretty/Team Beast, Aunties/Nieces would give so much more, but it isn't when there is nothing going on. 

Say what you want about Carlos, but yes, he would have been focusing on the Sanya family tension, Sheree's sales or lack of, and really finding ways to get Kenya into the game. I don't see any of that.

Still enjoying, but I feel more engaged last season. And I know once I watch the episode with 50Cynt and Latoya, I am going to like it...but I was a Latoya fan her season.

I hope you are wrong Drew/Ralph divorce. Otherwise, why get cameras on them a la Scandoval.