GH: MICHAEL RECAST

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed.

People like to say things about AJ, but if I was Carly, AJ would definitely look MILES better as a father than Sonny. Aj was just misunderstood, and suffered from being second to pretty boy jason, he wasnt (originally) a bad person. It wasnt til Jason became this "god" guza considers him that AJ was a truly bad person.

Blame Michael's problems on SONNY. Everyone likes to say SONNY is his REAL father...If that's the case, STOP using AJ as an excuse.

• Members

Maybe they recast the role because they want to take the character in a softer and...less self-destructive direction?

The way Drew Garrett was playing it, sometimes you wondered whether we were supposed to have sympathy for the guy who bludgeoned his stepmother(granted, the stepmother that murdered him) with an axe. It makes perfect sense why they would ship Michael off to an island to cool his head. Maybe there were notes from above Guza's head that Michael was too hard or not remorseful enough. But that's not Drew's fault.

The direction Guza was initially going in, I often wondered if they were gonna do Dante as nuJason and Michael as nuAJ. Now, they may be getting ready to play Michael as the teen romantic hero as opposed to wannabe thug always looking for daddy's approval.

• Members

What I really meant was that Tyler started out as being very hyped, praised for his look and his intensity and his raw talent. Then it all went away and viewers are stuck seeing this bloated, orange mess on their screen, The Thing Cassadine. At least fans of Drew won't have to see him possibly go that route. GH is a show that caters so much to their pets, their pets become very lazy and let themselves go.

• Members

God, strike me dead, because I'm gonna sound like MarkH, but if ANYONE could have sold a "REDEMPTION ARC" for Michael, it was Drew. And not just because he's been in the role for a year. But because, as Faulkner said, he can sell it.

And Carl, I understand what you mean about GH and their "pets," but I don't know what this new Michael will accomplish that the other one won't? :unsure:

• Members

Maybe (and I doubt it), the powers behind GH realized how bad the messed up Michael, and recasting him was the best option to them.

I doubt that's the reason.

I'm more inclined to belived Drew was a total lunatic, and people were sick of him.

• Members

I don't think he will accomplish anything different. I think Michael is a worthless character no matter who plays him. He's tied to soul-destroying mobsters and to the basically dead Quartermaine family.

I think in the show's mind, people may have associated Garrett too much with the Michael who wanted to be just like Sonny, who was an unrepentant murderer, who hates women so much that he almost beat up Robin and Liz. I think that his stories came across in a much uglier fashion on TV than it may have in their heads.

So if they want to make Michael into a more traditional younger leading man (and that's just my spec), they may think he needs a change of face to go along with a change of personality.

If Michael's story doesn't change, then I guess they either just had some sudden problem with Garrett, or he just quit.

Archived