Y&R: More Bad Mis-Recasting, Marcy Rylan IN as NuAbby

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just proves that they're all about hiring actors with big names or something, even if they don't fit the role.

WTH will they do now, age ALL teens? Or will Kyle (who was born before Abby) still be younger than her?

• Members

Can we recast the awful writing and producing team at Y&R, please? Those assholes are idiots, yet think Y&R is the best it's ever been. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Abby should not be this old, and I'm sorry, Rylan looks every bit her 30 years of age.

This totally screwed, AGAIN, with the timeline on this show. I expect SORASING here and there, but this is egregious.

Assuming they keep Kevin Schmidt as Noah, can anyone honestly buy him as being OLDER than Abby now? Why did they have to jump from an actress that's 15, to an actress that's 30? :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, Hayley Erin was a BAD actress, but as GH and DAYS have proven recently, you can cast good teen actresses or at least really good actresses in their early 20's that can pass for teens.

Could Maria Arena Bell be MORE out of touch with her audience? We already know she's single-handedly responsible for all the bad casting decisions. And oh look, another actor to stroke her and her writing team's massive egos, which is probably why she's employing Rylan anyway...

• Members

I like Marcy Rylan, she is the first Lizzie Spaulding I ever really liked.

I think it is ridiculous to have her as Abby, and for Abby to age ten or more years overnight. Marcy is near 30 and she looks her age. This throws the timelines of the Newman family completely out of whack. Nikki and Victor were married off and on for fifteen years before Abby was born. Ashley and Victor were married and divorced for some time before Ashley stole the sperm. Now Abby is only five or ten years younger than Victoria?

And SID said that Eden and Noah won't be aged, so that means Abby is now ten years older than the nephew who was born 4 years before her.

How does any of this work? What is the point of this, other than just desperate attempts to shuffle the deck chairs?

The soap press will swoon and tell us how brilliant this is and who cares about continuity? Yet, how long ago was it that this same soap press was cheering MAB for her respect for history and her commitment to taking Y&R back to what Bill Bell wanted?

I doubt Bill Bell would have wanted this.

The writing is the key, not gimmick casting. They have bombed on casting role after role after role. This is their way of admitting it. Hoping people will ignore their misfires by oohing and aahing over people who were famous on other, and frankly, better written soaps. It's just PR and PR and more PR.

• Members

I love how these miscast actors credit Maria and Maria Arena Bell herself takes credit for casting these people.

This way, none of the fanbois or people from Maria's staff can come here and say Sony/CBS/Hitler/Jesus/Buddha/Mohamed/Obama/Bush/Whoever forced her into making these decisions.

• Members

MAB and her team of blind idiots have officially entered "straw that broke the camel's back" territory for me with this and the inexplicable casting of Eden Squeakel. No-hopers like Christel Khalil, Daniel Goddard, Amelia Heinle, that awful Zima chick, Adrienne Frantz and a couple others continue to hog the screen. And yet instead of recasting (or firing) their stoned asses, we get recasts of a bunch of other characters. What?!

This recast makes no sense. It's like MAB & Co, having brought Stephen Nichols on board, have recast fever and are just going through the cast with this wish-fulfillment exercise. "Ooooo, you know who'd make a GREAT Nikki? Kim Zimmer!!"

The worst is that they are SO blissfully unaware, SO behind the curve, SO divorced from their audience. Jesus, I thought Guza, JFP and Frons over at GH are bad, but at least they know what they are doing is [!@#$%^&*], they just force it on us anyway in some kind of weird power play. Y&R's IIC think everything they are doing is going to be met with universal acclaim. Oh, yeah, Bill Bell would totally be proud of you guys! It's like he's sitting with you in the writers' room, nodding his agreement! You loons.

• Members

Isn't the Newman kid timeline already fucked up, though? It always seem like the want you to believe that Nicholas is older than Victoria, but I really wouldn't know.

And, please, if someone -- anyone -- ever tries to tell me that SORAS is a necessary evil, I will refer to the time Abby Carlton was aged at triple speed.

• Members

The main reason he seems older is because his kids are older and he is the main child in the family now, Victoria has lost all purpose, but in physical appearance I would say Victoria is still clearly the oldest. Or she was until they hired Michael Muhney.

With the soap press patting them on the back so much, no wonder.

• Members

Lemme guess:

MarkHSoap: @TommieCas I don't like this recast, but I trust that this is part of the bittersweet symphony that's life.

TommieCas: @MarkHSoap I assume Alvin and the gang will be upset, no doubt. When are they gonna make my Pratt Falls?!

TommieCas: @MicheleValJean Yeah girl, you know it! Totally kissing that ass so I can get a job when Y&R dumps my sorry ass.

EmmeRylan: Gosh, SOOOOOO excited! Reunited with KEWP!

• Members

This recast wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't have had teen Abby first who bitched about Eden. It's going to be jarring to see 20 something Abby and still teenaged Eden. Plus Kyle is going to be younger than her and they were concieved during the same storyline, which was huge at the time.

Another thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is the fact that the show didn't think Haley Erin was that bad. The only reason she got recast was because a bigger star came along, same with the Vail Bloom/Eden Rigel situation.

Archived