ATWT going into syndication

• Members

I hope Hacienda Heights (that title makes me chuckle) can find its feet, it looks like they've hit some road blocks as a lot of the articles I found about its launch are from '08 and things didn't come to fruition. Hopefully they'll have healthy enough of a response that they can try out more markets in CA, as well as in TX, FL, D.C. and NY where there are large urban Latin populations.

They are wise to target both the English and Spanish speaking markets at once, I didn't realize they were going for this and that's something I was posting about in another thread yesterday. I don't know how well it's been working for B&B, but SAP simulcast is one simple way to get more folks watching all of the soaps.

Here's the trailer for those of you who are curious:

I'm not too optimistic about ATWT's future but I at least hope that the surviving shows are paying close attention and getting their ducks in order. There's no reason why the remaining soaps shouldn't have Plans B, C, and D worked out before the ax even falls. This is the reality of the genre. Have folks on staff doing serious research on syndication and cable possibilities now as a side project, to see if they are viable, perhaps even better alternatives. I don't see that as fatalist, but realistic and wise.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed, he wanted his name out in print. I do think his idea about filming soaps in Toronto is solid from a cost angle. As for TeleNext, they wanted out and resent the notion of anyone making money off their old product. CBS wanted both GL and World but were unable to buy. I'm sure Sony had interest and this would have been a great match. PGP knew they could make more off yearly fees from CBS by dragging things out and slowly putting both shows to death as opposed to a one time sale price. I have little doubt CBS could and would have made both shows work and probably bumped then into the Y&R slot by now. CBS has a great track record with their company owned prime time shows.

Why did McCabe say anything? She does not work for the show and has no stake in what happens. She isn't a TeleNext spokesperson. Do her and Chris dream of taking the shows over and building a production company? No one with a brain would give them the capital for any such venture.

I agree that Sony should start looking for other homes/distribution systems for their remaining soaps as well as prime time shows. CBS is savy and wants Y&R and B&B gone. Sony should start a Sony cable network except, legally, they can not because it is not American owned. As for the ABC shows, they will die when ABC wants them to die and they will have no future. The showrunners will have no power when the ax drops.

I still resent SoapNet for not taking over World and GL. I am pretty sure that, at this point, PGP would sell. The titles no longer have any value.

• Members

So will Hacienda Heights actually be a DAYTIME/EVERYDAY soap opera?

I know it is in syndication, right now...I went on the official website, and it says none of them have aired..

If this show does well, I think it could launch newl life into daytime soap operas. Especially if it is in syndication and successful, because that could potentially be a way to save soaps in the future.

Archived