EW: The Death of Soaps...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beloved star Eric Braeden :rolleyes: If they are going to mention him they could mention others by name who take pay cuts. I don't care if he's better known than some other Y&R names, the article was supposed to be about soaps.

This seems like the usual generic dead soap article, which just reminds me of how generic EW has become this decade. There are MANY reasons beyond "no one has time to watch soaps" or "the demos aren't there" for why the ratings have fallen. All this article does is just perpetuate the old stereotypes, gee, if only soaps had gotten that younger, hipper audience. They've spent years trying to get that audience and have run off many longtime viewers as a result. And many viewers left because many of the shows have become regressive, offensive, stupid wastes of time run by people who don't care. Not just because of "21st century life." People were not chained to their couch in the 20th century.

And nothing against James Franco but I still don't see him as a movie star, and apparently, neither did viewers.

The only thing I got out of the article was that cute photo of Laura Wright and Paul Anthony Stewart. I wonder if they got paid for that.

• Members

I can see EW surviving by focusing on their website. They do those recaps and those unbearably cutesy and fake web shows (the one for American Idol is especially annoying). The magazine itself has become generic, fake nothingness, made even worse by desperate attempts to seem above it all. I think they had a zillion Twilight gimmicks this year, "Team" this and "Team" that. When I look through some of my EW issues from the early 90s I can't believe it's the same magazine.

• Members

HAH I still find enough in Ent Weekly to keep me reading it (though I do resent that they have longer versions of articles on their website than for those who actually buy the magazine) and its numbers are still strong enough that to sugest they won'\t last the year is ridiculous. Still I have been very let down by their "soap reporting" recently--especially when they've expanded their coverage of other genres. The fact that there wasn't any decent farewell GL article at all was telling IMHO.

How so? it's no secret that now with ATWT gone it's the next to worry about.

• Members

They say DAYS budget is now less than 1 mil. per week, that´s approx. 50 mil. per year. Is 50 mil. for 260x40 mins of TV show with 15-20 mins of ads and more than 800 000 viewers in 18-49 demo watching every day really so expensive? It´s 200,000$ per show. How much NBC demands for one 30 sec. ad aired during DAYS? It´s really less than 10,000$? I would really like to see some serious comparison in profitability between soaps and other genres. Because IMO soaps still seems a pretty sound investment for a network when done right.

• Members

The open gravestone for OLTL is just tacky. But what can you expect from Entertainment Weekly? They've gone downhill. It's a vanity press for big media now, if it wasn't always. That's the last shreds of my naivete talking.

• Members

It's just the same forced glibness and hip faux-cynicism they've peddled in for most of this decade. They really did used to be better. I have a lot of their issues from the early 90s and they actually had some sort of identity back then.

Archived