January 2010 ATWT Thread

• Members

Connor and Meg were the only two women who usually got to call her out. It's unintentional continuity, I guess, because Meg did that stuff in 1986 and again in 2009.

As for why Marland had everyone treat Lily like she was a heroine, I think it was because Lily was a heroine to many viewers. She was a princess but she still had a certain earthiness which didn't make it unbelievable when she would pitch in at the farm. He always laid it on too thick, but I think she really did mean a lot to most of the fans. I have never been fond of the character, so I can't say. My favorite version was Heather Rattray.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its weird because in the "bible," proposal Marland wrote, which I believe I saw here, he had Lily acting like a passionate bitch....hiting Holden with her riding crop, (or maybe that was just Marland writing out his fantasy) etc. But the Lily we saw on screen came off just as a bitch, only as a whiny one and not one that was fun to watch (and her son has completely taken after her, everything is about him....) I always thought Lily simply helped out on the farm because it was fun and new and to give Lucinda the finger...I don't know if Marland ment it this way, but I always thought Lucinda came out as more warm, loving (though wrong headed in the way she expressed it) and earthy, while Lily always came off as cold, selfish and entitled. I do remember watching ATWT in college during Marland and if anything happened to anyone the joke would be to yell out, "But how will LILY feel about this!!"

Rattray COULD have been fun if they had just given up on the plastic surgery stupidity ( uh, she changed her height, her voice and her hair along with her face????) But she was never a fun balls out bitch...she was always too cold and controlled..and still no one got to tell her to go f*ck herself!!!!

Which brings me to this Lily recast...as much as I always hated Lily, I miss Burns, cause she IS Lily..and I kind of miss yelling at my TV screen when she would start to whine as only Lily can whine..though part of that has been filled up by her annoying son.

• Members

Oh, people get to call Lily out. Meg just did it; Lucinda does it occassionally; EMMA finally did it when Lily was stuck in her morass of grief over Rose. Even Carly managed to get in a couple of good licks after her affair with Holden.

It's just never the cake in the face/swirly/public humiliation the snooty little witch deserves.

• Members

It's funny, because when I watched the show, I thought Lucinda was just trying to help Lily (like her, I didn't care for Holden, so I usually rooted for her schemes against Holden), and Lily liked playing the hurt princess because she knew Lucinda would always be there for her. Yet when I watch some of the 1986 episodes on Youtube, which was before I started watching, I think Lily does come off as more genuinely torn between a mother who was often too busy to spend time with her and her close friend and mentor Iva. And Lucinda seems out of control, braying and screaming in hysterics, pawing at Craig, and even going so far as to try to take away the Snyder farm out of spite.

After I saw that stuff I began to think that this material really must have seemed fresh at some point, and struck a chord with viewers, and later on, after variations of the same story were repeated for years, Lily began to seem more ridiculous, and Lucinda more sympathetic.

I've never cared for the Lily/Cricket types of heroines. I do wonder if they were much more popular with women, especially young women. And then Marland covered his bases, somewhat, by using Meg to represent those in the audience who did not want to hear about the horrible life of a rich girl.

• Members

I was making fun of something a ways back and when of the other posters said that I'd like you--can't remember what the topic was! I was talking about Ellen's down-do in the 1980's. Do you remember how Ellen would sometimes get that creepy grin on her face? I always thought they should have made her totally insane for a spell.

I agree on Lyla being boring at times. She was the worst singer and, wow, Marland could be cheezy at times. Sward didn't really look any older than Casey. It was her bad hair that aged the character. Come to think of it, a lot of ATWT actors had bad hair during that spell. I still think she was a good actress even though, at times, I felt that she almost under-acted. I still remember the manner in whih she would follow John Dixon around like a sad little puppy.

• Members

Apparently I'm the only person who liked Lyla's singing :unsure:

I didn't think Lyla was boring, I thought she was just beaten down by life. ATWT has always been better than some other soaps at having people who blow up and people who have smaller reactions.

• Members

I liked Lyla's singing at the time. I think it just comes off cheesy now in retrospect. Lyla wasn't "boring" she just wasn't a mover-and-shaker type. Putting up with Craig, Margo and Cricket would have sapped anyone's fight. Between Margo's miscarriages and Craig's disappearances, she's lucky she had any time to be happy at all.

I admit---today's show didn't really thrill me. I did laugh at Molly's "desperate" new lingerie. Why bother to wear anything, girl? Y'all already dropped your robe for him once, just do it again!

Oh, and Meggie's act was good. I think I saw Damian pee his pants a little.....

• Members

Oh...you actually watched the Nuke scenes? You're a very brave little soldier, there, Rux.

I just listened and laughed....Luke doesn't understand why Noah might be a little pissed someone took his "visions" of his movie and worked on it? Isn't this the same Luke who got a twist in his panties when his boyfriend's professor criticized his "great" script for said movie? Bitch, please....Luke is the last person to ever criticize someone for rejecting someone else's help.

• Members

Eh...I was more paying attention to Van's powdered face and extremely blonde hair and Jake's big adam's apple. I just hate how Luke wants to make everything perfect so he can get into Noah's mouth and pants...lol.

I enjoyed NutMeg today with Damian. Lucinda and Molly were great...lol. I didn't think the show was half bad.

• Members

Holden/Molly:

Love these two together. Aside from Martha, Jon's always had amazing chemistry with Lesli. And just like I said a few months ago, Molly's always the investigative type. Thank God for her return or else Meg would probably be still sitting in a loony bin come September.

Lily/Pregnancy:

The whole thing seemed more like a comedy sketch than a dramatic occurence. Noelle's exaggerated facial expressions. The comical way the nurse dropped the bomb in front of Holden. Just seemed comic...

Damian/Meg:

Kill him, Meg! Kill him! Aside from the evil smirk on her face as she promised to get out of Dearbrook, return home to her family, and then KILL him: priceless!!!

Nuke:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz....oh wait, were they on?

Clarissa:

This might actually be somewhat intriguing (aside from the fact that Clarissa seems like a Vienna 2.0). An old friend returns home to ask Simon about a con job, just as he's sadly realizing he's broke. Good stuff. I do wonder, though, where all that money went that Simon seemed to have just a month or so ago.

Katie/Henry:

The sweet dialogue. The looks in their eyes. Could we be seeing a Kenry romace: Part 2 soon?!!

Archived