AMC: Happy Birthday Susan Lucci!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Aaaaah, I love the 1980 picture. If I feel like it, I might watch Tom and Erica's wedding late tonight. That skin tone...aaah it drives me crazy. And the hair! She's gorgeous now, but I prefer her "ethnic" look too. In her Emmy speech, she actually thanked AMC's casting director (or maybe Agnes, I'm not sure) for seeing her as more than just "an ethnic type."

• Members

I really think that when you say she's a bad actress you're kind of missing what she's going for. Especially at the character's height in the '80s. She really commits to Erica's outlandishness, and even her most OTT moments never ring false to me, they are just so Erica. Honestly, I've found moments where's she's being herself far less convincing.

• Members

Is it just my computer, or are we all "centered"? :unsure:

I still think Susan looks ethnic, but I certainly miss her darker olive skin, she and Mark both used to have such nice tan complexions. A lot of women soften their hair and makeup colors as they get older. Notice how Robin Strasser looks particularly witchy some days with the darker red and heavy black makeup. SL also lost some of her ethnic look when she had her nose done in '94, but to be fair, I'm not convinced that she was born with that hump anyway. She had broken her nose years ago and I think it kind of healed that way.

• Members

Can you stand anything related to AMC?

Yeah, I've met her twice and she's very gracious. The second time was when she was on Broadway and a group of us waited outside the theatre for her to come out. They let us wait inside a small hallway and Susan came over to greet us and sign autographs, take photos, etc.

• Members

My friend and I had tickets and when we got to the box office there was a sign that said some other lady whose name I don't even remember would be playing the role that night, Susan's debut had been pushed back. :( This was right at the end of the fall semester before Christmas break and I had stayed on just so I could see it. :( My friend got a refund.

Archived