Goutman speaks about ATWT cancellation

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Goutman emphasized the younger characters to show ATWT does have more story to tell, and he's committed to telling it in hopes of selling the show somewhere else.

Not that I'm excited about hearing a virtual guarantee that Janet will be screeching all over town. :rolleyes:

• Members

Ummm....I'm pretty sure that's what you're supposed to do when a soap opera with as much as history as ATWT is cancelled. But then again, when have you ever followed expectations/listened to the fans?

Not really, GutMan. You now only have 4 or 5 months left of production.

Why are they aging Faith??? What's wrong with the one you have now??

Luke and Noah: NOBODY CARES ANYMORE!!!!!

Like we need another "Liberty/Janet moral dilemma" storyline!!!! Didn't we just go through that with Liberty's pregnancy? *eyroll* A waste of time....

• Members

I was trying to be understanding, but CG is a real arrogant ass. :angry: ATWT isn't going to another channel, let's face it. So pimping out Janet and Liberty and bringing on newbies for the high school set is downright stupid. Viewers want to see the vets, not some fairly new characters yelling and screaming 99% of the time.

It's really sad that hundreds of people are losing their jobs because CG is a complete hack! And if this show doesn't get it together, I am going to end my 20+ yr ATWT viewership way before September 2010.

• Members

What are they doing to do if they don't do the "nostalgia" thing? Why do I get the feeling that also means not giving the older vets they already have storylines.

I like Jack/Carly and I like seeing Molly again but otherwise I'm not all that interested in the other stories.

• Members

That's what viewers want to see, some stranger dying. As far as I can tell no one wants Liberty to get cancer, much less a Liberty they've never seen before. Oh, boohoo cry cry cry new girl, we're so terribly upset you're losing your hair--your brand new stranger boyfriend is very sad as well.

What the hell is this [!@#$%^&*]?

Just...kill it already. The people in charge HAVE NO IDEA what they're doing.

• Members

Reading the full interview, I would like to believe that he is just talking about the short term with not going to "nostalgia," but I don't know. Goutman seems to have such a general level of contempt for the show's traditions and longtime fans that he really may believe it's somehow making a bold statement to focus on characters who are not exactly the show's strongest link. The chances of ATWT being picked up by anyone seem slim, but they'll go from slim to none if they focus on the generally dull, useless teen group.

• Members

I don't believe that CG is really believes that ATWT is going to another network. He has always wanted to do things his way and the audience be damned. He simply wants to wrap up ATWT on his terms. He never cared for the vets or nostalgia so he will not do it until the very end when his arm is twisted. It does not matter. If ATWT follows what happened to GL, the audience will start tuning out in droves as the news of the cancellation spreads. Lapse viewers will tune in for the final episodes and then it will be over.

• Members

Yes, Irna featured socially relevant stories for the younger viewers featuring younger cast, but she also had socially relevant (and intriguing!!!!) stories for older viewers featuring older cast. Maybe you've heard of the word "balance" before?? Yeah...the one thing Irna (and Douglas) had that you obviously missed.

• Members

I feel sort of bad for Julie Pinson. Reading some interviews she's given, she seemed somewhat surprised/upset/uncomfortable with the religious twist that Janet took on in the abortion story. Now we'll be getting her views on stem cells. If we're lucky, maybe she'll break up Nuke! There is always a bright side.

Archived