November 30 - December 4, 2009

Toups

• Members

That will eventually fall too, I'd say. Usually when the older viewers go, it trickles down to the younger viewers. I suspect the year to year losses for Y&R in early 2010 will be significant, since the show gained a lot in early 2009, but gradually started to fall off again.

I think Y&R and B&B have 5 years tops left on CBS. Hopefully, the falls will be enough for CBS to push a better (or at least other) writing and producing team onto Y&R though...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, CBS only renewed Y&R for two years and slashed the budget nearly in half. That doesn't look too promising to me. Regardless of what the show;s 18-49 demos are, the show isn't making the same profit or ad revenue that it used to make, at least not to the extent that CBS would like.

i can accept that Y&R will be gone in 5 years, I just hope changes are made at the show and it gets better writers and producers to help give it a solid send off, the current creative team at the show totally doesn't get it, or even basic soap elements.

• Members

B&B has a huge international presence. I believe they are the number 1 soap worldwide. Plus I think they only work 6 months out of the year. I suspect it keeps their budget down and I've read in places that the revenue they bring in internationally alone can keep B&B afloat. What that means in terms of their presence on CBS I have no clue, but it seems the show could potentially live on even if CBS were to cut the licensing fees dramatically.

• Members

5 years is being generous on my part.

As I said above, CBS only renewed Y&R for 2 years and slashed the show's budget nearly in half, that can't be too promising in regards to the show's future on CBS.

In two years, both of the Bell soaps could be gone, regardless if they're at #1 and #2 in the ratings amongst other poorly rated soaps.

Guest dc cubs

Days was due for a bad week as it had been on a pretty good run. I hope this is a temporary setback and they rebound next week. Days usually gets a bump in ratings around the Christmas holidays so I hope that is the case again this year.

• Members

Yep and that's happened with all the soaps. We know that there were significant cutbacks at Y&R and all the ABC soaps and of course we all know the story with Days.

I keep hearing how happy these shows must be with their demos but IA. IF everything was rosey there would be no budget cuts. And if Y&R is still number 1 in demos and their demo number drops to 1.0 or 1.2 is that still considered good because they are number 1 in demos? Demos drop I suspect proportionately to ratings dropping . At some point the demos number 1 or not won't be large enough to continue to attract those sponsors.

• Members

Yeah but I could have sworn B&B was in a secure position because of it. Like they could actually cancell B&B on CBS but continue to produce the show for the overseas markets, the demand is so high. I do believe B&B is number 1 internationally and that includes over the British developed soaps. I could be wrong of course.

Archived