The Suds Report

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I won't believe ATWT is renewed until I see it confirmed by CBS or P&G. Everyone was so sure GL had 'turned the corner' towards the end of its run and that it would at least get another year. And the ratings were going up slightly, the production model was finally starting to look presentable, and then BAM April 1st 2009 and GL's fate was announced. My fingers are crossed that ATWT will get renewed but the earlier rumours that it would be cancelled by Christmas are making me slightly scared.

• Members

Is Molly Burnett secretly 60 or something? What does it matter if Taylor is younger?

Didn't he say he was never going to watch DAYS again after they fired Drake/Deirdre/Mary Beth/Stephen?

Ronn Moss was lampooned on The Soup. He even went on the show! They still write heavily for Ridge. I don't buy this. The writing is the huge problem.

I also have a lot of doubts about ATWT being renewed. The idea that they will renew because it's on a creative upswing seems odd to me. GL was supposed to be on a creative upswing when it was canceled, although of course whether it was is debateable. I thought if the show was canned it would be based on money.

• Members

What makes the rumor that it will be renewed believable to me is the "We can't cancel ATWT so soon after Guiding Light" part. CBS is scared of the backlash! All the CBS- and LMAD-bashing may yet pay off to save ATWT ... The show is also truly on a creative upswing, and the ratings are steady. Maybe it is enough for them to make more money than from a game show.

CBS, I will start praising you if you renew ATWT for two years (even though renewal is simply the minimum that ATWT deserves, and nothing I've said about how you treated GL has been a lie).

• Members

Could be referring to Colleen Zenk-Pinter and Lynn Herring. Pinter has a past of getting into feuds with other actresses most notoriously Jacqueline Schultz. Or Noelle Beck and Judi Evans. Or Nelson is BSing again. As far as I have heard West and McClain have the utmost respect for each other. McClain loves Maura.

• Members

I've got to admit that I think Kyle Lowder really sucked as Rick, and I hated the way the character was written! The romance with Taylor was illogical and a slap in the face to those who've watched B&B for years, and remember the original Rick being Brooke's greatest supporter against Stephanie & Taylor.

I'd be doing the happy dance if Jacob Young returned to B&B.

• Members

I will be shocked if ATWT is renewed but it would fit my luck of late. I still think the show is just terrible - it fell into a rut a couple years ago of lightning-fast stories, all plot, no character, ridiculous daily editing and storytelling, horrible remote shooting that rivals GL, and endless recasts, and it's gotten worse and worse since. I would be personally offended and incredibly angry if OLTL went before ATWT. But I guess we'll see.

I think Molly Burnett is okay, personally. I like her snark. She'd make an okay Sarah Roberts on OLTL in my book. But Branco's comments about Michael Park, among others, are beyond the pale and unprofessional as hell. How does he still have this job? Does anyone in Canada read? It seems like every week he is alienating a different soap's cast and crew, and then loves them again. Plus he plays favorites - such as his relentless, inexplicable attacks on Daphnee Duplaix, who apparently only draws his ire because she is another black female on OL alongside Tika Sumpter, when La Branco seems to think "there can only be one" - except Tika is doing just fine lately without his attempts to get the first contract Rachel in a decade fired.

• Members

Neither one has to "go." Both are quality television. I'm sorry ATWT is not working for you, but many of the flaws you cite no longer apply in my opinion. ATWT being renewed has nothing to do with whether OLTL is canceled. If anything, CBS renewing ATWT would lead to ABC sticking with a three-soap lineup because of the vote of confidence in the soap genre. I am horribly "offended" that it would in any way be considered a good thing for a soap with so much history and so many fans to be not renewed. Just because you don't like it anymore, what do you get out of wanting people who do like it, not to be able to watch it?

• Members

If there are feuding divas in Brooklyn, it's not Maura and Cady. Cady tweeted and blogged her respect for Maura more than once. If it's not about someone not liking Lynn Herring, I'm not sure who it could be. Herring is the only actress we've "let go" in months. Unless he's actually referring to two male performers...

I wish Nelson would get over himself and quit filling half his column with quotes/observations about other people's interviews. His shots at Michael Park are ridiculous. He's even managed in the last few weeks to pull the stick out of his ass and admit the story of Brad's death is good soap opera. The thought that the show made a "huge" blunder in getting rid of Peck is ridiculous. LOL...the show's already upgraded the position hiring Danny Cosgrove.

If there's renewal signs in the air (and I'm more than cautious about beliving that, according to everyone in the know, GL was practically renewed before it was cancelled) for ATWT, I'd think it'd be more about the lukewarm reception for LMAD, than some concern about cancelling ATWT so soon after GL. While I agree ATWT is on an upswing---I doubt TIIC care.

• Members

I think Nelson is making it up or referring to two performers of either sex, at least one of whom is male, then. I can't see it being Judi Evans Luciano and anybody either.

Oh, is Ewa Da Cruz (Vienna) really gone maybe? I never thought of her as a diva in real life but I don't know how she is in real life.

• Members

MS's name isn't that hard to spell. I shudder at the thought of such a buffoon having his own column and getting paid to bash people. This guy's the Perez of the soap world!

And P.S.--Killing off Alison would be the biggest mistake since killing off Jennifer.

And P.S.S.--Why does Nelson's mind (and apparently, straight to publish) automatically go to "killing off" when it's announced that someone might leave ATWT?!!

NB was praising Liberty's "cancer death" write-off a few weeks back, and now he's saying "smart move" about recasting the role?? Bipolar much?

Is it run-of-the-mill for soaps to be renewed for only one year? When/why did this start? Why ONE year? Why not 2 or 3?

Molden reunion? Duh!!! It's already happening.....

Is NB seriously cracking on Michael Park's interview eloquence? *shudder* Dude, do you read your own column???

As for other stories....

Rick is good as gone. I don't know if it had anything to do with The Soup, but Brad Bell has trouble writing stories for Rick after he's been on canvas a year or two. That's always how it goes. Rick returns......storylines for a year or two....next: Shockin! Rick Exits! .....I mean, it's standard procedure.

Nelson obviously wouldn't know talent if it bit him on his rear end...if he thinks Taylor Spreitler is a good actress and Molly Burnett isn't.

And lastly, a big EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fangurl squeal for the approaching debut of "Gotham". Soooooooo excited!!!

Archived