Should Noah and Luke be written off ATWT??

• Members

I'm split. I don't think Luke and Noah add anything to the show. But to be clear, I don't think I'd miss any of the twenty-somethings on the show right now.

But neither do I want to deal with the backlash should they be axed. Personally, I think a lot of the hype surrounding Nuke was manufactured by their fanbase. I don't think X number of articles in papers from Hoboken to Boise translates into "public interest" in a minor role in a largely scoffed at genre.

I do think Forbes March is right---ATWT is screwed any way they turn. Their story doesn't draw new viewers to the rest of the show, it risks turning off a portion of the viewers who are invested in the show, and the writing is too hit and miss to overcome either anyway. It's even hard to feel sorry for them---they said time and time again that this couple would be "treated just like any other couple", and the tiny spark they created became a firestorm that bit them in the ass when they couldn't deliver.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scott DeFreitas better actor than Van Hansis? Sorry, he was unconvincing and awkward in all the old clips that I've seen, and was just okay when I was watching ATWT in 1999-2000 during the Denise story (I came over because of AW being canceled).

They shouldn't have eliminated Andy from the show, but DeFreitas was no great actor.

• Members

Well, I'm going to have to agree to disagree, I think he was a good actor who brought amazing heart to all of his stories, from his romances, to his family scenes, to his battle with the bottle. He wasn't Olivier, but he had chemistry with everyone and fit in with the fabric of Oakdale, and that's what ATWT used to be about. I miss him to this day.

• Members

I thought DeFreitas acted like he was in a stage play, talked too loud, made eyes, dramatic awkward gestures. I would welcome a return but if Van and Jake are going to be called worse actors, I'm going to say what I really think.

But yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

• Members

For me it's not necessarily either/or. ATWT used to have acting coaches, they used to have top notch writing and production. P&G used to care.

I mean they had dud actors back then too, but really when I look at the show now I'm sometimes surprised that the acting is even as decent as it is. I still think soaps get a bad wrap about their acting. There are only a few where the level of acting shocks me in a bad way.

• Members

Oh, God....hasn't it been two years yet? It seems like forfriggin'ever.

I'm sure someone would be offended if Noah and Luke were having hot monkey like Lily or Meg sex...you'd be surprised how conservative some of the viewership is---I've heard more anti-abortion talk than I thought I would during Libby's pregnancy.

• Members

There is always someone who will be offended but that doesn't mean they will leave.IMHO viewers are more likely to leave out of boredom. But I don't think most Luke and Noah fans are expecting tons of full blown love scenes. There are ways to make Nuke more romantic and sexual without showing them having sex.

• Members

There's a difference between vets and legacy characters. All those you named (except for Iva...at least IMO) are vets who have already have a legacy left on the show should they be written out any time soon. Hell, I guess I'd include Iva since she's really Lily's "mutha." I think of a legacy character as a character who represents a bygone era of the show and also has more "stages" left in their...err...characterhood. Especially characters we've seen as children/teens. Luke, Paul, Andy, Emily, Jennifer, Will, Casey, Alison, etc, would all be legacy characters. Barbara still counts because she's not at the age of characters like Bob and Kim, and definitely not at the age of a character like Nancy, though I doubt anyone's gonna get the chance to be that age on this show again.

Archived