GH: James Franco Joins The Cast

• Members

I think GH can still take him to school when it comes to these things, but that's just me. :lol: But to be serious, I completely agree with you. The man is an actor, I'm sure he'll do fine on GH, although it wouldn't surprise me if he hates having to do scenes in one take. That seems to be one of the things people coming form primetime really hate about soaps.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But it's not just soap work. The same is true for sci-fi. I remember Chad Allen saying that he got a more visceral reaction from Trekkers who recognized him from his one episode guest appearance on ST:TNG than from many of his Dr. Quinn fans.

I submit that it's not the work, it's the fans. And I say that as a current sci-fi fan (Trekker/Whedonbitch) and former soap fan.

And if he hates it, I hope he bitches to any and everyone who will listen. I hope he talks about the lack of rehearsal time, the lazy writing that tells instead of shows ("I'm going to visit my daughter X after I stop by Y, the company I run. The one I bought last year when (insert unnecessary exposition here)"), or the inauthentic portrayal of the nature of crime (What exactly does the Port Charles mob deal in? Drugs? Hookers? Weapons? Tofu?) James Franco having a crappy experience might be the best thing that ever happened to soaps.

• Members

These forced upon casting things never seem to work out. Case in point: Sarah Brown. I don't think the character of Claudia would have existed without the fact that Sarah Brown was available to return. Other Evidence: Jason Cook as Matt. Cook was given the option of either OLTL or GH and he chose GH and the role was created. Matt has never been developed.

• Members

I'm not sure if Jason Cook was forced upon casting. It's not like he was a big name. His only other major role was Shawn Brady, and GH never put him with Kristen Storms, since Maxie now exists only to prop Spinelli.

They made efforts with Sarah Brown, even if the writing was awful. They have never made any effort with Jason Cook. He's far from alone in that with GH writing.

• Members

The early 1980s was I guess the peak for these kind of things. Most people probably don't know that Milton Berle had a recurring role on GH as Tiffany's agent and Sammy Davis had a week or two stint as the father of "brian". And I think Berle predated Elizabeth Taylor. But then soaps fell out of style, not sure why really.

• Members

Franco may help GH's ratings if nothing else. I'm not sure what GH can do story wise with Franco filming 3 days shown over 2 months, but we'll see. I liked what they tried to do with Martha Bryne guest stint. With more effort perhaps they can do better. It is too bad that Rick Hearst is not still on GH. He is the only actor who could have shone in a scene with Franco. Of course, Hearst would have probably never gotten a scene with Franco

• Members

Jason Cook was forced. ABC gave him a choice of oltl or gh, he chose gh, they made matt.

Franco's char will be diff tho as its only 2 months and very limited from what i have heard. they know exactly what the plan is from start to finish unlike with Cook, Brown, etc...

• Members

I flove James, I really do, but damn, boy does not take very good pictures much at all. I mean, I've seen some good ones of him, but he's mostly better looking in motion than in still.

I've been meaning to ask. Okay, yes, I get that a somewhat established movie actor doing a role on a soap is a WTF thing, and it's just off the wall, but how exactly does this have the potential to hurt his career or end up being detrimental to his future success? I mean, is doing GH going to automatically cancel out his prior work, like Milk, the Spiderman movies, or the James Dean flick?

• Members

Hollywood is one of those places that when an actor is hot, he or she can get away with a couple flops or eccentric behavior. I think if James Franco's career keeps going well, the GH stint will be viewed as a eccentric and overlooked. If a few projects flop, the GH stint will be viewed as evidence that he isn't really a valuable asset to a movie project. Also, most of the casting decisions are made by the money people, some of whom may not want him in their movie after doing a soap.

Archived