Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

When Nola came back didn't she find out about Lillian and gave her and Ed [!@#$%^&*]? I am not sure how that played out or how she found out, or actually if it even happened.

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember Blake walking into a room just as Lillian says out loud that she had an affair with Ed to Eve.. and I don't think she had a positive reaction to the news.

And I remember when Alex came back in the fall of 1993, she and Lillian had dinner and Alex had said there was talk of something going on between Lillian and Ed.. and she confirmed it to Alex.

Otherwise, I don't recall if anyone else ever found out other then those two instances.

• Members

Thanks. I remember Bridget actually thought they were having an affair the year before it happened, and had a crying jag when she found out they didn't.

I'm really surprised Roger never found out. Roger seemed to have a nose for those things.

• Members

I don't know if it was ever stated, but I always assumed that Maureen told at least 1 family member over the phone after she left the Bauer House, and that member told the others. It would never make sense that her family returned off screen so we were cheated out of all the confrontations with Ed. We were also cheated out of Mike telling Ed that because of the cheating and drinking, he became their father 

• Members

The Reardons return was off-screen because the actors were busy. Lisa was on ATWT, Harley and Greg Beecroft were out in Hollywood. They had never even had scenes with Ellen Parker. The only Reardons who had were Chelsea (and KdP had either started OLTL or was close to it) and Bea. It wouldn't have paid to have a bunch of recasts on for a day or two to mourn Mo.

While it seemed like a cop out, at least the writers gave lip service to why we weren't seeing them. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Barbara Berjer later appeared on AW and GL at the same time, briefly, so it was possible. If they had asked Lisa I wonder if she might have returned. 

(speaking of Barbara, do any of you know if they mentioned Holly moving to Europe to be with her in the mid '00s or her dying in 2006 or is that more Soapcentral fancruft?)

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I think Ross mentions having called Mike who was in Switzerland at a conference with Hope. Ed told him to tell them not to rush back. I think in Ed's mind, the plans were made, the Reardons had gathered, and those who wanted to could mourn Maureen any way they wanted.

I'm supposed P&G could've worked something out for Lisa, but there again, you've got the issue of her and Ellen Parker never having any scenes together. And while I'm not exactly sure how big a character Berjer played on AW, it surely had to be less appearances than Lisa was pulling on ATWT in '93. Just a quick check--in January 93, Iva is pregnant with John's child. Which also must mean they are knee-deep in the Aaron story. 

While I don't recall if Holly was shipped off to watch over Barbara (while her daughter is in a year long coma, IIRC), I tend to believe it simply because boards were up at the time and histories were being archived as they happened. 

• Members

I don't think it would have mattered as much if Lisa and Ellen Parker hadn't appeared together, but you're right, Lisa was very busy on ATWT.

The Soapcentral histories are messy because they are often full of people just writing what they want, trying to fill in blanks. Hopefully they didn't do that here.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Maybe they could arranged a phone call scene with Ed or Vanessa, if everyone had been so inclined, given Lisa's schedule at the time. I just think the lack of scenes between them (Ellen and Lisa) would've made it weird for me.  Like Richard Van Vleet Ed's mourning Bert comes off as hollow.

Oh, tell me about it. (ie soapcentral's histories...) it's one thing to completely FUBAR Trish's history (which might be understandable given the brief amount of time she was on the show and that it had to be written long after it happened). It's another to make stupid revisions based on one statement by a character. About once a year I send an email protesting the insistence that Jack Snyder's "real" name is Jacob, simply because Katie pulled a "J" name out of a hat and declared it as an "honor" to Jack. 13 years and not ONE character ever called Jack anything other than Jack. Not through six marriages, naming a kidnapped child he thought was his first born son "Jack Snyder Jr", a funeral, or Emma occasionally trying to knock some sense into his bone-headed decisions.

But Katie opens her big mouth....RME.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

That's ridiculous to have such blatant errors for a modern character. It makes my complaints about the Meta and Trudy bios seem silly.

I wish someone could put together a page for GL along the lines of AWHP, but I know that's painstaking work, so maybe being able to correct on a soap Wiki is the best to hope for.

• Members

I get that it's all volunteer effort, honest. But if someone provides corroborating evidence...

LOL...I was honestly sorting through German episodes and recaps, trying to find Vanessa ratting out her bestie. It's not like it would've been beyond her at the time.  LOL.

• Members

While admittedly, some of SoapCentral's posted info is accurate, a HUGE amount of it is untrue fan fiction, created and pulled directly out of some anonymous contributor's butt.

The site is just not a reliable source of information.