Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for these. Always great stuff, and I've been re-reading Kim Zimmer's book which makes it that much more fun. The variety of all GL's many eras is what continues to make me believe it can be as flexible and fluid as the new AMC and be revived someday, in some fashion.

I must say I've always been dying to see the infamous "Reginald the lamb" scene, in which Rick is infuriated about Phillip's departure from Springfield and flings a stuffed lamb against the wall like the broken lover he is. I can't tell if it would be dated 1984 or 1991, there's precious little info on it out there. Anyone know if it's floating around online?

Edited by Vee

• Members

I've had the same question. I think it would be 1991, as Philip and Beth were leaving, which is what triggered it. But someone once told me the scene never existed and Michael O'Leary was joking. I don't know.

I'll never stop wanting GL and ATWT to be revived. I miss them every day, just about.

• Members

I don't know how he could be making it up. Grant Aleksander seems to viscerally remember it in the Paley Center clip I've seen. And I know O'Leary's been telling that story for at least thirteen years, because that's at least how long I've been hearing it. I think I remember someone telling it on USENET.

What's perplexing is that he names Pam Long as the HW at the time and I may be wrong but I thought she was gone by '91.

• Members

Her work might have still been in effect in very early 1991 (around the time those three were leaving). Not sure.

I remember reading the story fifteen years ago. I never knew Grant Aleksander had confirmed it.

Sometimes when I see these older clips I'm reminded of why I liked Michael O'Leary so much. Eventually he just became GL's version of MEK - not a good thing.

• Members

GL could absolutely be revived, I've always had a special place for this show. It's too bad how the Peapack years went. Not to mention the questionable casting and lack of any real storylines, IMHO. They had so many vets there near the end who clearly had no issues coming back to the show they loved.

• Members

The first close-up on the lamb killed me.

There's got to be the rest of this lurking somewhere on YouTube.

"Phillip, you want something?"

"No! I have everything I need." While staring into Rick's eyes and holding Reginald the lamb. My God.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Geez. I never really saw Philip and Rick that way but the last part of that scene makes me wonder.

Strong and complicated male friendships are something which TV was much more comfortable with in the 80s and early 90s, then started backing away from. Today that would be called a "bromance," which gets on my nerves.

They're also something Pam Long introduced to GL. I think one of the parts I miss most about GL was when they remembered all the different friendships and the triggers in those friendships.

Does anyone know who is playing the nanny in the first part of the clip? Initially I thought it was Alexandra Neil, but she'd just been killed off GL a year earlier.