Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

On July 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM, JaneDigby said:

Was it McLabby who created Pharley? I freely admit that while I once loved Harley and always enjoyed Phillip I didn't take to them at the time. Now, rewatching old episodes I hate them with the first of a thousand suns. What a smug, judgmental self-enchanted pair. I could have moved on from Beth & Phillip but writing her as a total neurotic mess while Phillip was sane and strong and poor widdle Harley has to suffer. I can't. Reva and Josh should have either stayed together or been split up for good circa 1999. Instead every few years Josh had to marry some woman, let Reva make her insane with jealousy while claiming their was nothing to be jealous about and then dump her (righteously, natch) for Reva. Lather, rinse, repeat. It made both characters loathsome to me.

Nope. Laibson and McTavish were gone by the time Phillip and Harley were paired. Brown and Esensten were head writers when they became a couple.

Mctavish created Fletcher and holly..if I recall due to her thinking it was dysfunctional for holly to remain with a rapist....odd considering a lot of her MAC and OLTL was pretty dark.

GH_Girl   
20 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

Matt and Vanessa were a snooze fest IMO.

I agree so much. I always thought he was like a body with no personality. And weirdly, I've never been a fan of Vanessa. Way too much "Daddy!" from her, which is funny because Blake is one of my favorites and she had a major case of daddy issues.

What was the general dislike about Holly and Fletcher? The baby storyline I get the hate for, especially because it went nowhere and ended up making Holly look like the worst mother out there/insane. But I thought Fletcher was a pretty good match for her. However, they were already together when I started watching GL in college so perhaps it was the lead up to it that wasn't good?

Edited by GH_Girl

~bl~   

Holly and Fletcher worked together at the Springfield Journal as Holly needed to get away from WSPR so she bought into the newspaper. One night after a fight with Roger, Holly came into the office and they ended up having sex on the desk. This was in late 1994, prior to McTavish. Fletcher and Holly went public with their relationship in Feb/Mar of 95, again prior to McTavish. The wedding of Fletcher and Holly and Meg fell under Laibson and McTavish. (I had a video tape of their wedding, with credits, as I converted it to DVD, but now it is misfiled, so no easy way to check, if the wedding was one, or both.) I just recall the switchover happening in the summer of 1995.

kalbir   

Wow, the confrontation between Alexandra and Roger was epic. I wonder if this episode is what got Michael Zaslow his first Daytime Emmy nomination in 1992. IIRC, he was also GL's first nomination and win ever in the Lead Actor category.

Edited by kalbir

Mitch   
11 hours ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

LOL..the frame that comes up on that shows Danny as the Big Spoon and Richie as the Little Spoon. Now THAT would have been a more realistic storyline!

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

LOL..the frame that comes up on that shows Danny as the Big Spoon and Richie as the Little Spoon. Now THAT would have been a more realistic storyline!

Yum! Whatever would've gotten my Danny naked, I would've been all for it! :wub:

GH_Girl   

I think I recognize everyone but the guy in the striped shirt in the front and the guy in orange with is hand on JVD's shoulder. And Grant does not appear to age.