Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

They talk about how slow soaps are. Both Tony & Annabelle and Billy and Vanessa were fast-track romances in the summer of 83.

Does anyone have the Guiding Light history books? Are they any good? 

Edited by P.J.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I used to have a copy of the '97 anniversary book. I'm not sure if I still do - if I do it's in storage somewhere. There were plenty of insights for me (I had little knowledge of the show's history beyond when I started watching, scraps of soap magazines, and what was in the '92 TV special), along with many photos I'd never seen before, although fans who were more in the know likely noticed errors. 

Later on, I checked out the '87 anniversary book from the library. It didn't have as much content, but IIRC had a number of interesting interviews the other didn't have and focused a bit on the making of those anniversary shows.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

And it makes no sense..TPTB especially in these cost conscious times should be able to let an actor go if they demand too much.  GL let Kimmer's ego and Rauch's stupidity make Reva the "star" so she could write her own check.  They should have done as ATWT did in the late 70s..slowly reemphasize Reva (like they did Lisa) so she is not the center of the universe.  Lisa was always important (well until the time of the Gautman) and in the mix, but not the star. 

Anyone who wants to dis LW either on GL or GH is good with me! 

• Members

Well, if you're talking about GH & any actor "demanding too much" then you must be talking about one actor who is now gone or MB. You are certainly NOT accurately speaking of LW, NOT AT ALL. 

But the reason I came here today is because my FB memories gave me these. 

Please register in order to view this content

And also these.

This is rare, never published. 

• Members

Very true, errors all over the place. 

There are published accounts of many feuds. Most people got along with each other. But not all! Some people could not stand each other. And to a large extent, this is known. 

And, of course, most of us know that errors abound!!! 

• Members

My memory of GL starts from around 1986. I found post-Reva plunge GL (in Calhourn's tenure and a bit into JFP's) so compelling because a lot of the canvas was being used. There were long-term storylines that had actual ramifications rather than storylines for dramatic shock. However, I think Justin Deas and Tom Pelphrey did much more damage to GL than Kim Zimmer did.  

• Members
Posted (edited)

I started watching Guiding Light in the summer of 1989. It was Reva and Josh's wedding at Cross Creek that intrigued me as I was flipping channels. Up until that point, I had just watched nighttime soaps. I remember being so mesmerized by all of the location scenes. I stuck with the show for several years after that.

My favorite years of the show were between 1990 to 1994 as I felt like it was very much an ensemble at that point. It seemed to me that most characters had a least some sort of storyline, and I thought the writers did a nice job of having multiple characters interact with each other. Springfield felt like an actual community to me. I watched religiously for a nearly 12-year span, and the early 90s were just awesome.

Like most of you on this board, I didn't just watch one soap opera. I was also a fan of As the World Turns and One Life to Life. While I certainly had my favorite characters on each, I do think soap operas were a better viewing experience when they focused on multiple storylines involving multiple characters. I realize that there are going to be ebbs and flows with storylines and characters, but it's never good when one or two characters monopolize a show. I think Guiding Light was one of the worst examples of allowing that to happen.

Annette

Edited by GL Oldtimer

• Members

No, I was clearly talking about the Reva/Zimmer situation and how she had the show under a barrel...all because they let her.  LW just annoys me so whomever wants to yank on her all the good...(I think you posted a clip or pic of her and that Cameron Mathieson guy and they both looked like an aging Barbie and Ken doll set...okay, CM annoys me even more, he looks like his is made of weird plastic. ) 

• Members
Posted (edited)

The only clip I've posted recently with Cameron Mathison in it was hot angry sex with Drew & Nina so wrong blonde! Cynthia Watros!  Not Laura Wright. This has become a hilarious exchange, I gotta tell ya. LOL!!! 

About KZ & Reva, sure thing, same page on that. 

I would add that I came to an appreciation of GL late. My experience of the different periods you praise is only through the Soap Classics DVDs that were put out & YouTube. I personally do feel KZ & Reva is not only an example of one character eating a show but possibly the best example. If Kim was not front burner for ONE DAY she had her special fans on the phone to the studio, complaining, loudly, with great fervor. And I hated Paul Rauch's "vision" with overlit "too bright" scenes where the women typically were only allowed to wear certain colors, A-line skirts, plunging V-neckline blouses, etc. I know people here do not but I loved Harley, Buzz & Jonathan. Also Otalia & Jami. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

Thanks, everyone. I have the ATWT 40th anniversary book, and found it very useful. I wouldn't be expecting complete accuracy.

I thought Harley was great---until the Gus Aitoro years. Ugh.