Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Agreed.having her at Lewis Oil was stupid, and the whole concept of Lewis Oil was stupid. One multinational corporation on each show is enough. They could have just said that Lewis Corporate Offices moved back to Tulsa and just said Trish or someone else took over and kept Lewis Construction..keeping all the corporate intrigue at Spaulding. They did move her back to Spaulding and even unmasking Vickie but then they brought back Alex (for a bit) and dropped that. 

At that point a Van/Matt/Beth triangle could have worked, tossing out the old thing and just having Matt frustrated that Van was knee deep in Spaulding, and helping Beth on construction of a rape crises center...and then it slowly evolves, no need for villains or ageism.

• Members

Didn't know what to watch when I got home today and ended up down a GL rabbit hole on YouTube. I was all over the place, but I noticed there were a few 2006 episodes that have episode titles at the beginning of the episodes and almost serve as standalone episodes. I don't remember this at all even though I was watching at the time. Was this something new GL was trying at the time? 

• Members

Yes, that was the Inside the Light that GL did 2006-2007. GL ran those episodes every Wednesday. If I recall right they chose that day because Wednesdays were typically the lowest rated episodes of the week. Originally dedicated to character spotlights, there was some fun ones like the Mothers Day special that brought back Nadine, Jenna, and Sarah Shayne as ghosts. However some of them were crammed filled with stories/events that should have been expanded out more, like Ross’ death & funeral and Springfield Burns.  The majority of them were typically boring, often were weird, and not entertaining in anyway at all as much as they show tried.

Unfortunately with the advent of the Peapack era it seemed everyday became a Wednesday.

• Members

Wow, it just all seems like a blur now. Might have to revisit some of these, especially the Mothers Day episode. I caught a bit of the one titled The Law and A.C. is on some reality type show being followed by a camera on a sting operation. I'm honestly surprised they even had a police precinct set at this time. In my mind things looked more bleek, but I guess even compared to a few years earlier it probably did at the time. I may also been thinking about how bad things got in '07. My memory has gotten a bit hazy. 

• Members

The tribute episode with Beth Ehlers as Irna Phillips was the standout. 

The episode with Harley as the super heroine (with electrical powers), The Guiding Light, was just silly. 

I gave em credit for trying new things. 

• Members

Days like these (4th of July) I really miss GL. Not many soaps make a big deal about the 4th these days, but back when GL was on air you could always expect some big drama to occur at this years Bauer BBQ. Sigh 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, the "radio show" episode was truly iconic & Beth as Irna was possibly the highest of many high spots. 

But, the Marvel/GL "mash-up" also had costumes designed by Shawn Reeves, GL Costume Designer involved with it. (He was also at AW & now is at GH.) Now, of course, I can't find any pix of anything but the Beth Ehlers character. Dadgum. I remember seeing the drawings at the time & then the finished product & they were cool costumes. 

Please register in order to view this content

Michael, I find that all the time I miss both AW & GL. It just is what it is.