Guiding Light discussion thread

I met Ehlers in person back in her early days of soap stardom. She was nice. But then something happened with her ego when she got Emmy nominations and never won. 
Her comments about a War Veteran who acted opposite her on AMC turned me off to her for good. Until she apologizes for those comments, I’m glad that I make more than her.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just remember her saying in so many words that she didn't want Taylor to be paired with Brot (played by JR Martinez). She basically was hoping to be paired with Ricky Paul Goldin again and it didn't happen. He just so happened to have chemistry with Chrishell Stause (Amanda) instead.

Funny thing is that JR outlasted Beth on AMC, which was poetic justice. 

• Members

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/06/27/beth-ehlers-talks-greasy-about-chuck-pratt-and-jr-martinez

I remember the "Shakespeare" line getting lampooned regularly. She basically expected to slide into Pine Valley and set the canvas on fire. It wasn't her show, and there was never going to be space for it to be "her" show.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Beth didn't say that.  She agreed with a caller and just basically said he wasn't an actor because he actually wasn't an actor.  She said it in a rough and blunt way and hurt his feelings. She apologized to JR and called him a friend and they  were suppose to have moved on.  I wonder if he still thinks about it 10 years later like  the people here. It boggles my mind.  Hope he's not keeping that grudge. 

And btw Beth's acting career lasted 30 years.  As a child she did movies with the likes of Bette Davis, David Bowie, Catherine Denauve, Susan Sarandon etc. In GL she had people like Justin Deas and Bevelee McKinsey to work with. So it's not hard to be empathetic to her when you look and see her last acting gig is at a show like AMC in 2009 with extremely bad writing with an excessively green actor.

As for JR, AMC was his first acting job. I haven't really seen him in any other acting gigs since. He did excellent Dancing with the Stars and he's doing well in the talk circuit.  He's very talented in motivating and inspiring people. He definitely is a great human being. And who knows maybe he'll get an acting gig in a big movie and win an Oscar someday. But 10 years ago he was extremely green and Beth had to be isolated with him in a very boring storyline.  Then they took her brand new character off screen for 6 weeks. Just because they could. How could she not be frustrated and have diarrhea of the mouth when it was an arrogant incompetent writer in charge.  

• Members

But in so many words she did say that. She didn't want to be paired/work with him, which is f-cked up. At that point, she should've been glad that she even landed a job as many former GL actors were that lucky to land on another soap. A true professional would've just done their job and tried to take the "green actor" under their wing if it irked her so much. 

Beth came on GL thinking she was gonna relive Gus/Harley 2.0 and it didn't come to fruition thank god. I was glad to see that Ricky had chemistry with Chrishell, which finally gave Amanda a meaty story after being in the background for the longest. 

• Members

At that point, Beth probably was wondering what could have been at CBS LA at Y&R or what could have been if she just flat out retired from acting and gone to college post GL

ABC decided to hype up Gus/Harley 2 and Ricky/Beth BOTH liked the idea and played along (awkwardly) for the sake of their paychecks and longevity in a brand new job. Beth wanted to sink her teeth in a meaty story also, with or without Ricky, but instead she got what she got. I love Chrishell but Jake and Amanda were boring to me. I can't think of one couple or story I liked at AMC during that time period.  It was all a hot mess. But I'll say hair and makeup was awesome 

• Members

Excuse me? That's not my style. I don't call people dirtbags. I don't even think of  people being dirtbags...what the heck. I'm an Ehlers fan that's all. Not hating or "trolling" on anybody.  Sorry to burst the bubble but sometimes all a board needs is some new perspective on reality.  

What exactly are we suppose to pretend? I thought this was a message board that anyone can write on.  Do you need a background check or my ss#? 

• Members

It actually is (was?) hard for me to be empathetic because there have been better actresses than she who dealt with even greener performers than JR Martinez, and those people didn’t choose to downgrade their scene partners in the press while also trashing their respective shows (which they had been on for longer than a mere year). Identifying “blunt” doesn’t make “blunt” appealing.

I can think of several, and none of them featured Beth Ehlers. The character was a flop on an already bloated canvas. Brot ended up actually serving a purpose and was integrated into an established family. Taylor was pointless, and I’m sorry JR Martinez’s first year was stuck opposite such a boring character.

• Members

Not necessary, no. Until yesterday your only other post was an overly long attack on someone for criticizing Beth Ehlers. All your posts since are overly long defenses of Beth Ehlers. All your prior screen name's posts were overly long defenses of/attacks on behalf of Beth Ehlers. The style, length and vitriol are identical. It's not particularly upsetting or offensive to me, it's just boring. But you do you, girl.