Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week of August 10

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could buy Nikki being a pathetic woman chasing her man if it was just Nikki. The problem is that Sharon, Phyllis, Amber, etc. are all Nikki-types. Phyllis was a strong independent woman before she met Nick. She felt powerful love for Danny and Jack. Why is she a giggly school girl ready to slit her wrists the second the Quarterback, uh Nick, doesn't want her? Even Sharon, who has more reason to feel dependant on Nick than Phyllis, should still be a much stronger woman than Nikki.

Alphanguy, darling, why are you still excusing MAB? Have you seen the awesome Kish story on OLTL. Oh man, that is hot and awesome and well-paced and everything a gay story should be. Even if we had seen a Rafe/Adam kiss, would it really matter? The story was horribly written. You might hate saying it Alphan but I certainly don't hate saying that Engen rocked as Adam and the show sorely misses him. I honestly don't see the point of the character if he's not playing it. How sad is it that Joshua Freaking Morrow is the best cast of the 4 Newman kids? Of course Victor is crying over Zapato. That was the only "actor" outside of JM who is believable as a Newman child. As for MM, I don't want sound mean but the only thing notable about him is his real-life addiction to twitter. And sadly for him, he comes off as Twidiot every time he tweets.

Someone on another board posted next week's script....

Anna: He's my father.

[Neil slaps Anna]

Neil: I said I want the truth!

Anna: He's my brother...

[slap]

Anna: He's my father...

[Neil slaps Anna again]

Anna: My brother, my father.

[Neil slaps her repeatedly]

Neil: I said I want the truth!

Anna: He's my brother AND my father!!!

• Members

At this point, is this show in any better condition creatively than the state Latham left it in during her final months with the show?

What a hot stinkin' mess!

So many of our regulars in this thread have quit this show, which should tell someone that these writers and their vision isn't working out quite as well as they think it is for this show.

If I quit, I'll be completely done with daytime, and I'd hate to see this thread filled with excuses for why the show is as bad as it is and how it's still on a good level, when it's so not. ;)

• Members

I try to tell myself that things will get better and EVERY SINGLE TIME I realize that if anything is good it is PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

Seriously guys, I am done with this show. I have no need to continue poisoning myself with this.

• Members

Sorry alphanguy74, I just can't defend this show any longer because ever since January 2008 I have realized that I always came up with excuses as to why some of this storylines aren't working, only to realize that MAB/Hogie/Scottie have no idea what they are doing and that they are hoping that every story will go with the approval of the audience. I can't do this anymore.

• Members

Um, when Bill Bell did incest stories, they were about people who didn't know that they were related falling in love.

Devon spent almost all of his life thinking Tyra was his aunt and his mother's sister. For him to want to bang her this soon after finding out she's not really his aunt, and after the way she ruined Neil's marriage with her singing kid is stupid, bad writing, and makes no sense.

Also, Bill Bell knew how to pace his stories, so they didn't come out of left field.

But I've come to expect you excusing every bad plot-line on this show, no matter how insane it is.

• Members

Is it better than Latham's first 6 months? NO. Is it better than her last 6 months.. HELL YES. But when we had Cameron Kirsten, Paul and his quasi-rape of Christine, The stupid Orchid SL, everyone screamed and screamed for Jack Smith to be let go... I'd say 90 percent of people on the boards wanted him gone. All I got to say to Y&R's fans.. is you made your bed, now fuc*ing lie in it! To me, still... this show would be good if they fixed the damn PACING. Channeling The Edge OF Night is ok... but thev'e stepped over into "Tales OF The Darkside" and "Night Gallery" territory. This amount of darkness is fine, if it was spread VERY THINLY over a 2 year period. I never advocated for Smith to be fired, I jsut wanted Alden to have more power than HIM. I'd throw Maria under the bus as HW if it meant we got Alden back. But unless it's Alden, Smith, or Meg Bennett... I'd rather keep things as is and bitch at them to FIX IT.

• Members

Exactly, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt up to Spring of this year, and I just couldn't do it anymore.

They keep on disappointing and destroying the fabric of this show. Maria, Hogan, and Scott do not understand this show or basic soap principles.

I cannot sit back and watch them destroy something. There is no excuse for the types of storylines they're telling on this show.

It's time to move on, Y&R is officially being HACKED away.

• Members

They understand NOTHING. It is basically finding three people on the street and giving them a chance to come up with a storyline, and they can't even do that. I'm disappointed. Y&R is supposed to be good, but it seems that the real show has died with the original writer. As much as others have tired, I have yet to see someone make a success for a longer time. I liked Nov08-Feb09, but then it all went wrong. I can suspend my disbelief a couple of times, but when they ask me to suspend it for the twentieth time, I'm done. I will not allow myself to be tortured this much.

• Members

Sorry, Jack Smith was not as badly received as Latham and this regime of Maria, Hogan, and Scott.

Smith had his problems yes, but he wrote the show in a familiar style, with an ensemble cast, and familiar pacing patterns. None of the hacks that followed him have understood these concepts.

I had problems with Smith, but I would take him back now and I really beleived he understood this show better than anyone who came after him.

How are the fans responsible for the crap this writing regime is writing? None of us are responsible for hiring or firing these people.

But how long have we been calling on them to fix these basic things and they never do?

• Members

The fans are not guilty for this. They have conned us for long enough, but now it's done, at least for me. I would never drop a show if it really didn't get THAT bad. I feel sorry for having to leave so many good actors, but I can't handle it. I want something good. Don't blame me for wanting some freakin' quality on my TV screen.

And for all of you out there, sorry for going way too OT.

• Members

Alvin, you DO make a point about the characters not knowing about being related. I'll concede on that. I'll be brutally honest, I'm only up for this because I really HATE the character, if it was anyone else on the canvas, I'd probably be crapping myself. So I don't think you're unreasonable for having a cow about the Devon thing. I don't know, it may just be that in today's times, they are trying to see just how much they can shock you. But unfortunately, do that, and youv'e become the Jerry Springer show. I think today they were laying the groundwork for Patty Jane's redemption, I think they truly want us to KNOW that she is MENTALLY ILL, (The memorable scene a couple weeks ago was foreshadowing... "Kitty, where did you put my pills?!") If they were SMART, they would write Patty Jane as ahving serious psychological problems, and reveal that she was under doctor's care... but Victor paid off the doctor to release her to him. Then when it comes out that he took advantage of a woman who was mentally ill to get revenge on Jack, we need to have it be the last straw and have Ashley leave him (Think how since she has been mentally ill in her life, and Victor wouldn't think twice about using a woman who was vulnerable like that) then Paul would find out, and after all the loyalty he showed to Victor all these years, cleaning up all his messes... Paul would just become UNHINGED and kick Victor's ass. Literally, put the old fart in the hospital. This is what I would write... but sicne she's been mentioned more than once, they'd have a hard time carrying such a thing out credibly without Carolyn Conwell. I would hope even if she is retired, maybe they could coax her back for an episode or two? But then again... when I hope something will go one way, it usually goes another. I'm not making excuses for EVERYTHING... I just think the primary problem is the pacing.

Archived