I Think It's Time That All Soaps Drop The Long Opening Credits

• Members

Primetime has pretty much ditched the opening credits (pictures of cast members). I think it's time daytime does the same. If they had a quick 5 second opening with just the show title, like primetime shows, there would be no need for updates anymore. Money saved, number one. Number two, there wouldn't be a need to elevate certain actors/characters through their placement in the openings, and therefore the "pecking order" could stay behind the scenes where it belongs. I, for one, was really annoyed when ABC revamped their openings back in 2004, and pretty much threw in our faces which characters/actors really mattered to them by their placement in the openings. I'd rather they go back to the generic ones.

The current "face" ones are outdated, and unnecessary.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA. It's simple, yet historically significant...and it doesn't elevate certain characters/actors above others.

ALL soaps should go back to this type of opening, especially since they can't be bothered to update regularly, anyway.

AND...it only alienates fans of certain characters/actors when they see their favorites marginalized in the openings. So why take the risk?

• Members

I don't think the DAYS type of opening works for every show and I certainly hate the title cards you see in primetime. I just wish they'd update them and that more openings fit the show. They're not expensive, especially the ones using clips from the show.

• Members

I don't think showing me an actor's face in the main titles tells me what the show is going to be about. Aside from B&B and maybe Y&R, I don't think any other soap has ever truly needed faces in the main title(maybe BEACH).

The Main Title is more than just an "Opening Credit" in daytime. It's the gateway into the identity of the show.

• Members

If we're going for openings more fitting for the show, they should get a CGI shot of the burning hospital from the toxic balls fiasco for the GH opening. :P

I'm being snarky, I know, but I do agree with the general sentiment.

• Members

While I understand the logic behind removing the openings, I think they're important to keep. With the primetime shows ditching their openings, it's one more thing that makes daytime unique. I agree, the DAYS hourglass is classic, but with shows that have typically had faces in their opening, I think ditching the opening is a bad move, as the show loses a way that many have used to identify the show over the years. I think OLTL needs something more unique, but the AMC one is a perfect example for what shows that have cast opening should aim for: something special and close to the heart of the show.

• Members

ITDA. OLTL didn't add faces until its 17th year on the air (and then dropped them for 3 years in the early 90's). AMC until its 20th. GH until its 25th.

So the tradition leans toward not having faces in the opening.

I really believe (as a reformed soap "fanatic," myself) that the "face openings" only appeal to the small group of obsessed soap fans who focus on every little thing.

In this day and age, where people tend to hit the remote during long opening credits, abbreviated openings would only serve to benefit the soaps.

• Members

No doubt. :lol: I think they'd have to bring the old rushing ambulance back, too, but only so they could blow it up.

At the very least because it would give the networks another slot or two of ad time to sell, and thus maybe help keep the show on a little longer. <_<

• Members

I like seeing actors in the opening credits, but since most soaps take months or just downright refuse to update their openings(I'm looking at you Y&R & GH), I wouldn't mind just having a short, fifteen second one. AMC's could feature a scrap book, OLTL's could have exterior shots of Llanview, and GH could have a shot of an ambulance getting shot up and exploding with the words "General Hospital" coming out of the fire.

I disagree. I've seen stuff done on Windows Movie Maker that looks better. They get points for making a new one everyday though.

• Members

Pictures or no pictures, I think it all boils down to execution. Loving never had pics in any opening and I never missed them (though I LOVED The City's opening), I mean my mother sang along to Jeffrey Osbourne's "L-O-V-I-N-G" every day, it was perfect for that show. I think a show like B&B has the perfect balance though.

I do agree with the belief that pictures in an opening help new fans "learn the show", oftentimes as a new viewer you confuse characters and though I think B&B's open goes by way too fast while trying to deliver way too much information, seeing the long credits even twice a week is appreciated. Remember, even with short iconic openings like DOOL's, once upon a time we had nice long seemingly endless credit scrolls at the end of a show usually over some grand orchestration. Though actors had no special billing in the opening credits, they often did in the end credits (e.g., MacDonald Carey, Deidre Hall, Eileen Fulton, Kim Zimmer, et cetera).

I guess with the internet, anyone can quickly look up info on a soap if they care to. No one "needs" cast photos in opening credits, but they'd surely be missed. I don't think people hated Rauch's truncated HOTL opening just because there were no pics, they hated it because it was a cheap and lazy hack job. If you give us even ten seconds of gorgeous visuals and a wonderfully catchy piece of music, we'll love it. Look at Y&R, the soap theme of all soaps themes played over simple charcoal drawings of only a handful of actors, arguably the best soap opening credits ever. I wouldn't mind if there were days they showed no cast members at all, I'd sit and watch Sandy Dvore draw the YR over two bars of music.

• Members

IMO....the best OLTL's openings were those that featured outside images of Llanview (buildings, scenery, landmarks, etc...). Unlike AMC, OLTL has always possessed more of an urban beat to it, which is why those 'Tour of Llanview' openings worked so well.

Also, a fire type opening might also work well for OLTL.....remember that the show's original opening (1968-75) was of a burning fireplace and the show was nearly called 'Between Heaven and Hell.'

All that being said, OLTL lacks an easily identifiable image like its two sister soaps, and several others, have. AMC has the scrapbook, ATWT has the globe, Days has the hourglass, and GH has the hospital. However, OLTL doesn't really have any of that. There is an alternate ABC logo for OLTL has the scales of justice behind the title, but even that is just so-so.

• Members

I agree...think back to the mid and late 80s when you would hear Paebo Bryson say "Because we only have 'One Life to Live'" at the end with all the faces superimposed on a building and the words "One Life to Live" beside them.

Talking about no one on DAYS having any type of billing in the opening made me think of the early days of AMC when Rosmary Perez had special billing and was the only one in the opening for the soap's first six months on the air.

Archived