Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL. Truthfully, potpourri has offloaded so much stuff, though...it has made the episodes thread a pleasure. Even for me, this thread is a place to vent frustrations, so I can be constructive in the episodes.

High colonic.

• Members

It's really ridiculous--they can't stand people not liking it, so they have to come in here and make comments like those. I can't believe this thread was started specifically because a few posters did not want to deal with some other posters' opinions, and yet people still come in here and bitch about it. I mean, really?

That is just :rolleyes: .

• Members

Alright, so I'm fixin to bitch about something. Hopefully that means it's worthy to be posted in this thread. :-)

What's with these stories that reverse familial connections and then the character's behaviors change seemingly overnight?

Jill/Katherine: No longer related, they start hating on each other (almost) right away. So the DNA test was enough to stop them from supposedly loving each other?!?!

Devon/Tyra: No longer related, Devon starts lusting after his "ex" aunt. Something that was never mentioned previously.

And now with the Cane thing, I wonder what's going to happen? Jill will start hating on him now? Or will she suddenly want to take a ride on the beefcake from down-under's ding-a-ling? Hmmmm. Since Billy and Cane can't stand each other now, will they suddenly become best buds now that their family tie has been broken? Hmmmm.

• Members

Exactly, they knew what the purpose of this thread was long before they decided to make their posts about knocking it down.

What's so wrong about not liking Y&R in its current state? Not everyone is like Nelson Branco and has to kiss this show's ass. There's a lot of constructive criticism in this thread, if people just look past the obvious hate for this show in its current incarnation.

• Members

I think they're going to still have Jill see Cane as her son, after some initial anger. I hope that's what they do. If they do that then it will just make the immediate reversal to hatred Jill/Katherine had annoy me more.

• Members

They've built Cane to be a sympathetic con since the damn wedding; it's so annoying, how they'll presumably forgive this dull boy, thus continue the travesty that is Lane. I can already see Lily being angry at Cane for five seconds then forgiving him to breed her dream kennel.

It's even more annoying how Adam will be possibly killed off while all work and no play dull boy gets to live.

• Members

This show and especially this writing regime likes to keep aimless characters that bring nothing to the show like Cane. I'm sure they're going to go all out to prove that Cane's heart was in the right place when he decided to take part in this scam. :rolleyes:

Never mind that he has no ties to anyone on the show after this reversal and that his mere presence does nothing to any of the storylines, but he must be kept, because LAME is a popular. :rolleyes:

Really, this show doesn't understand the concept or paring down and it sure as hell doesn't understand which characters are more important and vital to the show and which ones aren't.

• Members

Great observation.

That is classic B&B.

I'll never forget, years ago, when Ridge was with Brooke and he was Bridget's father. And then it was revealed that Eric was her daddy.

He dropped Bridget, and Brooke, THAT VERY DAY!!!

And who can forget Bridget's sudden lust for Ridge when she discovered he was not Eric's son.

I've mentioned I am also active on Usenet.

I'm shocked.

Never have I seen such loathing. Even in the height of LML, it wasn't this bad.

Some really long time posters and show lovers (as bad as me): Jennifer Kalman, Ravelation, Diva, and others...HATING it. Some folks talking about turning it off or watching it less often after decades.

The problem it seems, is less the darkness, but the history reversals and the plot holes. (The FIRST thing that would come to Adam's mind is sucking off Rafe? Heather would investigate Munchhausen's after ONE incident? P3 would hurt his family by playing dead...but then send a kindly stranger??).

What I can glean is that there is WIDE respect for the rank and file...the BDW, SW, Cast, and Crew.

The loathing is for MAB/HS/SH and PR. The feeling seems to be that MAB is inexperienced and her only real soap experience is B&B (a very different show that does these sudden unmotivated twists). Then she is matched with the Prince-of-Dark (HS) and the Prince-of-Crime (SH). All of this is overseen by the man who greenlit the Clone-Wars and Eterna (PR). It is that diabolical combination of show-killers plus inexperienced MAB that is earning ire.

I know this all repeats what has been said here before, but I am shocked to see it on benign Usenet. That means it is spreading far, my friends.

• Members

I think it's this sheer hatred that's totally throwing me for a loop.

We have all gone through plenty of eye-rolling phases with the various soaps we've watched. The plot holes. The retcons. None of this is new. In fact, it's happened on Y&R. Cane's introduction was considered blasphemy.

What's throwing me completely is this almost death-threat like loathing, like you said, Mark. The seething is something I've never seen before - not even under LML. And I'm totally baffled by it. Which clearly means I have no business watching this show, because clearly, I am wrong. I have a lot of issues with what I'm watching, and a lot of issues with what I hear is coming up. But I'm used to this. 28 years of watching soaps, you swallow a lot. Maybe my tolerance is higher? I don't know.

I'm watching it for individual scenes now, and I like a lot of what I see, from scene to scene. The big-picture stuff is a problem, but I guess I just don't see it as being in such dire straits that so many others do. Does it need a lot of work? Yes. But vitriol that's this strong makes me start to wonder what's wrong with ME.

• Members

I think many just expected the show to get a lot better in terms of its plots and character stories after the Latham era, and after a while, things either were the same or to a degree got worse. I think people have had enough of these ridiculous plots, backburned characters, lack of creative storytelling, lack of the types of stoylines Y&R used to be famous for, a shift a more crime and mystery approach, which wasn't well received under Latham and isn't right now. There's more, and it's spread throughout this thread by myself and others.

But I agree that this current incarnation of the show doesn't seem well received throughout the internet. Every Y&R board I seem to read has an outright negative view of this show right now. Of course, I see exactly where many are coming from, since this show isn't enjoyable to me anymore.

Not to mention for like the past MONTH Y&R has TIED it's lowest Household ratings ever, and it's getting its worse numbers in TOTAL VIEWERS, it also tied its low in the 18-49 demo last week. I think the current vision of this show is turning many off, especially longtime fans, and it definitely appears to be going beyond the internet.

A lot of us do see the problems with the writers, and having seen Sheffer and Hamner's work elsewhere, I know what many of their problems are and Maria's lack of soap writing experience was definitely apparently on this show during her solo run. Needless to say, I think the three of them shouldn't be guiding the creative content of this show, and I personally believe they appear to highlight one another's weaknesses. It's just not a right fit for Y&R.

Archived