Y&R: Week of May 18, 2009

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The "backward looking" part of my relationship with the show has to do with its constancy. The places I was, the people I watched with, the way it is woven into my life.

In terms of the show, I don't have a general hazy positive nostalgia. I have specific stories and characters I enjoyed...and others I didn't.

I can list these year by year if you wish, but I think none of us wants that :).

Snap! Now THAT is a comeback I enjoy and respect! Because it is TRUE! I honestly felt she'd continue to run the show into the ground, which is why it is remarkable the trend reversed after JG left.

Thank you. I forgot about that in her interview. So, YES...what you have now explained to me is that in addition to her writing excellence (an opinion you and many other people seem to share), she ALSO turned around the ratings -- perhaps even in the face of contextual obstacles like time slot shifts. So, that makes Curlee truly remarkable.

But, see, you have never asked. You've simply assumed I "love everything about this show". Again, as above, I think it would be a terrible waste of bandwidth for me to go back and list all the things I DO NOT like. There are plenty...past and present.

But even if the dominant perspective that I and some others hold is "satisfaction", that does not translate to "wide-eyed zombie who accepts all sh!t handed to them". I'm not sure what is served by painting people in these single colors?

I am assuming, if I asked (I'm not) you could also list things you LIKE about Y&R. Just because almost everything you post is negative, I can't believe you'd WATCH the show if there weren't some positive to balance it out.

• Members

I think Y&R has exactly what it needs right now. Just curious, but as picky and hard to please as you seem to be... is there any show currently (soap or otherwise) that you are happy with? Are you sure your'e not Barbara Streisand? Everyone duck in the bathroom when he comes out, if you smell gardenia flowers, then we'll have our answer!

• Members

But telling other people that they are always happy and will accept anything isn't an argument either. Can't we just stick to analyzing the minutia of the show instead of worrying about why other posters feel the way they do?

• Members

Ooh. That's a little rough. I'm going to assume what brimike said on May 12 is true:

Interesting. I'm starting to wonder if you have attentional issues?? You highlight the part where I explain my history with the show, and you ignore the part where I discuss the positive and negative views I've held of stories.

Is this a cognitive issue, or does it suit some agenda (which is stupid--why would someone have an agenda on a MESSAGE BOARD???) to be selective?

Turnabout. What is YOUR history with Y&R, Sylph? (I know..."nevermind').

Archived