Y&R: Week of May 11, 2009

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First of all, the dichotomy of "types of people" is (as you have said) unproductive. There are no fools here...nobody who "loves it all" or "hates it all". We're on a continuum, though.

If "more negative" opinions ruined my enjoyment, I wouldn't be here or Usenet or anywhere. That said, in life AND here, there are "Eeyores" or "Debbie Downers"...persons with such persistent negativity that they DO color the world with their grey. Not only is that "grey" a drag in and of itself, but it can be infectious. Let NO ONE tell you that moods and affect aren't contagious. OF COURSE they are. Humans are social creatures.

This isn't about social conformity or "fitting in". This is the simple, unavoidable fact that when you are empathic to another's mood or opinion OF COURSE it can color yours.

This? From you? LOL

What is the matter with popcorn? Are you anti-carb?

I didn't coin "forces of darkness" OR "wonder twins", but I'm happy to drop both if you now decree they are no longer funny. I don't really care about labels.

"Doesn't suck". Alas, that is subjective. I watch a soap that doesn't suck. You?

I love the Vee comment. But now my smilies are getting mocked? Damn.....

Who is "convincing" that Y&R (or whatever is great)? I don't see this sophistry...or any point to it. People are EXPRESSING OPINIONS about things they like or do not like, with others who watch the same show. Where is "convincing" happening? Can an opinion not be expressed...can a debate not occur...without "convincing"?

I find this VERY interesting in you, actually, Sylph. On one hand, you deny the contagion of negative opinion and affect. ON THE OTHER HAND, you equate the expression of positive opinion and affect as "convincing" (and you reject it). That tells me two things. First, your denial of contagion is not something you actually believe. Second, you seem to have a closed mind--and therefore you equate "convincing" with a bad thing.

That said, I regret to say I still find that word "convincing" to be balderdash. I see NOBODY "convincing" here. I actually find that word nonsense, to be frank.

LMAO. "My name is MarkH, and I'm fake-liking Y&R".

So, I could get all serious with you, as you have done with me and others, saying "I do not appreciate the mockery". But what the heck. I liked the pacing of that week. My opinion hasn't changed. The week seemed symphonic to me. I'm not embarrassed about that.

Your post above again points out subjectivity. EXCEPT for "topical issues" (which usually make me vomit on soaps, esp. Y&R...Christine Blair's WHOLE RUN was "topical issues"), Y&R gives me all of those things in your list above.

"Tomato/Tom-ah-to". We see the same thing, but we perceive it differently. That's cool.

Ooops. I disagree with you. Am I trying to CONVINCE you? Quick...hide your face!

Oh, geez, Sylph. I'm almost 44 freakin' years old. "Fake-like" so I'll be "accepted". COME ON??????

This might be true of the 12 year olds who post here, but COME ON!!!!! Really? Read that above, and see if you REALLY stand by that statement.

This is actually pretty close to my opinion.

I do NOT find it boring, and I do NOT pay attention to the praise. I find the show QUITE entertaining (I am still replaying the Jill-Kay-governor scenes...total laugh riot), and I have a 36-year investment in this people and places. So it would have to get pretty bad for me to shuck it.

It helps that, IMO (NOT convincing, NOT trying to be persuasive, NOT doing anything except expressing an opinion) the show is creatively stronger now than it has been since 1998...and even stronger than it was in much of 2005.

Subjectivity, folks. I love your diversity of opinions. Mine is the right one, though. :). That smiley was for you, MTSRocks.

• Members

Who's talking about you? I didn't mention you nor imply it's you anywhere. Good grief...

But there you go again... First, you quote MTSRocks post from another thread which was closed just to fuel fights and controversy. Not going to work. Typical Mark who typically writes veiled insults. And ends them with :), which are rightly mocked (the smileys). It is offensive and you should apologize. People are not morons, Mark, they can see through certain things.

BTW, you're late (as always). We ended this discussion on the previous page.

And now we're getting back on topic. Y&R. I want to hear more of your rationalisations and emanations of the passenger mentality. :lol:

• Members

Victor always wins. One of the reasons I can't care about his stories with anyone. I did laugh when he ordered Ashley to make him tea. And why not, what other purpose does she have. She is a chemist, after all, maybe she went to some hidden lab and made him a special brew. That could be her next storyline. Then Adam tries to sabotage her, the test tubes blow up, and he's permanently blinded as well as scarred. He is just about to kill himself when he gets a card from a Victor Von Doom, Victor Newman's long-lost, evil twin brother, now planning to impersonate Victor if Adam will help him kill that pesky Reed Richards...

• Members

Good one!

Not having the above is what has happened to soap operas, excellent points!

This is exactly how I feel, I'm trying desperately to hang in there and some episodes are more entertaining than others but it shouldn't be so hard to enjoy the show. It's a shame when a message board dedicated to the genre is more fascinating than the show itself.

• Members

Umm - Sylph, Mark is a lot of things but he isn't insulting. I'm not trying to start anything with you, but please don't eviscerate him on the board like this. He's just debating and there's nothing wrong with debating, but your post just seemed a little below the belt. Please? I won't even use a smiley.

• Members

He is to me. This is not the first time he does something like that and end it with a smiley. True, he always apologized later. But then did it again after 5 days.

Let's just end this here. It annoys the hell out of people. Me included.

• Members

I've gotten into plenty myself over the years, but mostly it's defending the show or the writers against fans castigating them for things that Bill Bell himself even did. Or in some cases (not here, though... the posters here are too intelligent) having to correct fans for blaming the writers for things that are the responsibility of the prodcuer or the director. I even defended LML at first, because she WAS good for a few months while Alden was still there to temper her... and I believe in giving EVERYONE a fair shot. But after a while, she stumbled, fell... and turned the show into crap.... and I called her out for it, BIG TIME. Right now, I don't like EVERYTHING the show has to offer, but there are several things I'm excited about, especially the gaslighting of Ashley... the possbilities of Rafe, and Kay and Jill being poised for battle. It's like a plate of food, you may have a side dish that you don't care for... but if you can't find ANYTHING that you consider "good" on the show as we have it today, your'e simply overly critical and ridiculous. There are things that are bad, too (Chipmunk) but I also don't demand perfection from this show, Bill Bell didn't deliver it, and nobody else is, either. I mean, would today's fans have the patience to sit around for 6 months while stroke victim Molly Carter tries to utter the word "Baby"? I think not.

Archived