The latest on GL going to Lifetime

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lifetime released a statement from their chief programming executive on their message board, where a group of GL fans have gathered to campaign for the show:

Statement from Lifetime regarding "Guiding Light" Hello Guiding Light fans!

"I’m Rebecca Cooper, Lifetime’s Community Manager. I have also been a GL fan for years and have enjoyed seeing all of you come to create such a vibrant community for GL fans to gather and chat about the characters, episodes, and storylines of the show.

Rest assured that we have heard you and have taken your feedback on our site very seriously. We made sure that the head of Programming at Lifetime Networks, JoAnn Alfano, was aware of your campaign and community that you’ve built on myLifetime.com. Here is what she had to say:

“Guiding Light is a television institution; it was my mother’s favorite show and was always on in our house when I was a kid. I am sorry to say, though, that Lifetime will not be adding daytime serials to its schedule.”

While we understand that this is disappointing news since we, too, are fans, we want to offer you a home to talk about Guiding Light for as long as you would like to congregate here. Lifetime continues to offer innovative programming and we hope that, while there is no replacement for “Guiding Light”, that you can still feel as though this is a place to share with your friends that you’ve made through this show. Thank you!"

• Members

Seriously, did anyone seriously believe that Lifetime would pick up GL? Lifetime's target demo is women 18-49, and GL has a very limited appeal to that audience. What would be in it for Lifetime? That Lifetime-issued statement reeks of PR and pandering. What I'm getting from their statement is that they're trying to encourage die-hard GL fans to watch Lifetime programming by giving them false hope that the show will be picked up. It's pandering at its worst.

• Members

That's the standard response, not an official statement, that was posted on the Lifetime community board. DC has done a good job of keeping everyone updated on what's going on, including an official statement from Brian Cahill.

• Members

It's never going to happen, I think delusion is keeping many from seeing that Lifetime just isn't interested.

Also, Daytime Confidential, seems to like reporting "speculation" that will get them enough hits. They've provided no substantial proof from Lifetime's side yet, so it tells me they're making crap up as they go along as well.

People who believe this speculation will be in for a rude awakening when this show airs its last episode in September and won't be shown ever again.

• Members

I don't think it's delusion as much as people believe that it's better to have tried and failed, than to have never tried at all.

I like DC and think they have broken several stories, not to mention much of what has been printed about GL has been reported by other outlets as well. I don't think it's just making "crap" up as they go along, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

For myself, I love GL and have been a faithful fan for 25 years. I don't live in some delusional world nor am I in for a "rude awakening". I just refuse to let the show go down without a fight.

Judging by your username, I think you would be hopeful for GL to find a new home because ATWT isn't far behind it.

• Members

At this point, all I want is for GL (and ATWT) to go out with a big bang, I don't want them to continue on with a horrible budget cuts, constant casting cuts, and overall production cuts. They deserve better, and both GL and ATWT hold a special place in my heart, but I fully realize that these shows no longer resemble what they were at their creative peaks. Yeah, you can say GL has improved, but this isn't the GL I know and personally loved and fell in love with in the early 90's (that era of GL is MY era).

This Lifetime thing seems to have been beaten like a dead horse, I don't know why it's so hard to think they're just not interested. If GL moves to cable, the budget would be even less, cable does not have the type of money network television has. With that said, with less money, the show would be even more unrecognizable that it already is, and I don't want that. All I want is for the show go give us a finale to remember and try to go out on top, not limping there (as if it hasn't already).

DC has posted a lot of false information, and their wording on this GL news has been very suspicious to me. DC seems to want to attract as much attention as possible, they know sending out this glimmer of "hope" for jilted GL fans will attract more attention for them. So far, I haven't seen any other source report that they're "hearing" Lifetime or Oxygen is in talks with PGP/Telenext as to where GL would go if canceled.

GL tapes a few months ahead of air date, so they'll likely be taping the finale episode soon. So, if news hasn't broken that the show definitely has a new home by now, then I don't think it ever will.

And really, yes the Nielsen system is outdated, but it is the only way to measure success on television. GL's demos are horrendous, no business savvy network with a reputation like Lifetime is going to want to touch that, at least from my view.

• Members

The only way that could be more official is for Obama to break in during the Lost season finale and say it. At this point I think the executives from Lifetime are ready to move their operations and start broadcasting from an undisclosed location a la John Conner in Terminator 4.

Archived