Another World

• Members

I was surprised to see a credit for Patrick Tovatt as "Andrew Barris" in 1981 in this clip as well as one for Jean Smart as "Woman on Bus".

I finished reading Eight Years in Another World. It was interesting to see Lemay's opinions and biases. When he praised Ray Liotta it made me curious to know what he thought of Richard Bekins but based on the dates I don't think they overlapped much. 

Lemay did admit that they didn't have any success recasting Alice. It's too bad he couldn't have figured out how to be satisfied with Jacqueline Courtney in the role. But if forced to choose between Alice and Iris I would have to go with Iris myself. 

Edited by Xanthe
Another thought

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Absolutely. I meant really only that I think AW is richer for having included Iris . . . and I was forgetting that Iris was introduced in opposition to Alice originally, and her role as antagonist to Rachel came later. 

I have very little memory of Alice before Courtney's return in 1984, but my impression is for whatever reason the character was not interesting after Steve's death. 

Somehow that reminds me that I have a dim memory of somebody shoplifting clothes on AW, probably  from the late 70s, and I thought that it was Olive,  but now I am wondering if it was actually Sally in her juvenile delinquent phase. 

• Members

The problem with Alice is that so much of her storyline revolved around breaking up/reuniting with Steve. And when they Jacqui Courtney back, Steve was gone, as was most/all of her family. What ties did she really have to everyone? That’s why we got silly scenes such as when Rachel invited Alice  to spend Christmas with her. Yeah, like that should ever really happen.

• Members

Got to keep in mind though, most subsequent producers/writers probably didn't know about all of the terrible things that Rachel did. They probably just knew that she was a troublemaker who was reformed.

Gary Tomlin even admitted that he didn't study Rachel and Alice's history enough in order to write effectively for Alice in 1984-85

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I noticed that he tried to imply Lisa Cameron was a bad actress and also tried to make Nancy Wickwire say her job was dull (she handled that well), but he didn't play any of those games with Constance Ford. He was probably afraid she'd come bawl him out.